Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda goes back to 3 for 2007

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rc36, Aug 18, 2005.

1. MCN is reporting that Honda's new 800cc MotoGp challenger will be a V3.

Honda claim they will be able to make is just as fast as the present V5. This is not the first time that Honda have used this engine layout, their return to GP racing in 1982 being with a V3 also (albiet a 2 stroke, not a 4)

Freddie Spencer won the 500cc title on the V3 in 1983, narrowly defeating Kenny Roberts (Yamaha)

The engine was a two-down, one-up design for better weight distribution and what it lacked in power output over the Yamaha 4's, it made up for in light weight and manoeuverability.

2. And, just for interests sake, here's the list of Open Class (500cc and MotoGp) champions since the championship was introduced back in 1949 (what a great year)

Rider (Bike)

2004 Valentino ROSSI (Yamaha) Moto GP
    2003 Valentino ROSSI (Honda) Moto GP
    2002 Valentino ROSSI (Honda) Moto GP
    2001 Valentino ROSSI (Honda) GP 500
    2000 Kenny ROBERTS Jr. (Suzuki) GP 500
    1999 Alex CRIVILLE (Honda) GP 500
    1998 Mick DOOHAN (Honda) GP 500
    1997 Mick DOOHAN (Honda) GP 500
    1996 Mick DOOHAN (Honda) GP 500
    1995 Mick DOOHAN (Honda) GP 500
    1994 Mick DOOHAN (Honda) GP 500
    1993 Kevin SCHWANTZ (Suzuki) GP 500
    1992 Wayne RAINEY (Yamaha) GP 500
    1991 Wayne RAINEY (Yamaha) GP 500
    1990 Wayne RAINEY (Yamaha) GP 500
    1989 Eddie LAWSON (Honda) GP 500
    1988 Eddie LAWSON (Yamaha) GP 500
    1987 Wayne GARDNER (Honda) GP 500
    1986 Eddie LAWSON (Yamaha) GP 500
    1985 Freddie SPENCER (Honda) GP 500
    1984 Eddie LAWSON (Yamaha) GP 500
    1983 Freddie SPENCER (Honda) GP 500
    1982 Franco UNCINI (Suzuki) GP 500
    1981 Marco LUCCHINELLI (Suzuki) GP 500
    1980 Kenny ROBERTS (Yamaha) GP 500
    1979 Kenny ROBERTS (Yamaha) GP 500
    1978 Kenny ROBERTS (Yamaha) GP 500
    1977 Barry SHEENE (Suzuki) GP 500
    1976 Barry SHEENE (Suzuki) GP 500
    1975 Giacomo AGOSTINI (Yamaha) GP 500
    1974 Phil READ (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1973 Phil READ (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1972 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1971 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1970 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1969 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1968 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1967 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1966 Giacomo AGOSTINI (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1965 Mike HAILWOOD (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1964 Mike HAILWOOD (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1963 Mike HAILWOOD (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1962 Mike HAILWOOD (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1961 Gary HOCKING (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1960 John SURTEES (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1959 John SURTEES (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1958 John SURTEES (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1957 Libero LIBERATI (Gilera) GP 500
    1956 John SURTEES (MV Agusta) GP 500
    1955 Geoff DUKE (Gilera) GP 500
    1954 Geoff DUKE (Gilera) GP 500
    1953 Geoff DUKE (Gilera) GP 500
    1952 Umberto MASETTI (Gilera) GP 500
    1951 Geoff DUKE (Norton) GP 500
    1950 Umberto MASETTI (Gilera) GP 500
    1949 Leslie GRAHAM (AJS) GP 500
  3. Cool, my fav engine design...when can we buy the road going version?
  4. Interesting......

Though I would like to point out that a road legal V4 GP bike is already getting around. That's right folks, the VFR800. Talk about way ahead of the competition, they've been perfecting the V4 800cc engine for ages. Just quietly, under the noses of everyone (except VFR owners who have known this for years), sorting it on harsh real world roads, getting it to the point to explode into the 2007 season. Yes folks, just wait for the RCVFR800 coming to a track near you.

Don't believe me?
  5. You reckon they're gonna race the VFR?
    A four instead of the V5, you mean?
  6. If they had ever gotten around to building a 1200 cc road going v4 then I might have even agreeg with you Deyago. :D
  7. Mark punches Jake to wake him up... :wink:
  8. Always good to see a manufacturer prepared to try something other than a v-twin or parallel 4, be interesting to see if the V3 makes it into production bikes.
  9. Interesting idea. Honda did, of course, produce a road version of the RS500 two stroke, the RS400R, and it was quite successful. It was downtuned and had reduced capacity from the GP machine. Quite a few of these came to Australia and they still occassionally turn up on ebay.

They also produced a limited edition version in Rothmans racing colours exactly like the GP bikes. It is regarded as being the most desirable version.

As I raised in another thread, it will be very interesting to see if Honda decide to produce a V5 road bike in honour of the success that the RCV has had in GP's.

10. Never heard of a RS400 before but over in the UK we had the very impressive NS400R which was also a V-triple 8)
  11. Whoops, wrong designation

*nurse, get my medication*

yes, of course, it was the NS400R (the "R" indicating "Road"
  12. Didn't they try something like this a while back when they released the NR in honour of their GP bikes. I believe it turned out to be far too expensive for most people to afford and sales figures were quite low.
  13. There's been talk coming out of Japan for ages about them working on a V5, V6 and even a V10 road going version of the RCV :shock:

This doesn't mean any of them will make it into production though and with the recent news that they will be moving to a V3 GP bike I'd say it was even more unlikley.
  14. The NR750 was not built in honour of their GP bikes as all their top whack GP bikes were 2 strokes. The NR was built in honour of the four stroke F1, World Superbike and Endurance bikes.

But, yes, it was a "no expense spared" effort and still commands ridiculous prices on the rare occasions one of them turns up at auction.

However, that's not to say that they couldn't produce a V5 economically if they chose to do so.

I think the important thing is that it wouldn't simply be a de-tuned version of the RCV. That engine couldn't be made roadable; but they COULD build a V5, after all, they produce V4's.
  15. No! Let me sleep, it's such a lovely dream.....there's puppies and supermodels too....*snore* .....

I'm actually annoyed that Dorna is going to hobble the bikes but it will throw up some interesting challenges for the factories. Hopefully out of that we will see some interesting innovations. I've not heard anywhere but here about a possible V-3 but I'd like to see one in action. I do think a V-4 is more likely so I wasn't entirely joking about a RCVFR. If you see Honda's MotoGP bike with panniers you'll know I was right :wink: .
  16. check with mcn's web site

for the story about the V3
  17. Was looking at the list of champions that rc36honda gave, and found it interesting how the bikes changed from the Gileras to MV Agustas to the Suzukis, Yammies, then Hondas. The list is occasionally interspersed with other marques but once a particular marque started winning it was on top for essentially an 'era' and then another marque took over. C'mon Ducati and MV Agusta pull your fingers out...:LOL:

From the title, I though it meant that Honda were going back to three riders and support them fully as a factory team rather than seven riders through satellite teams diluting the effectiveness of each other.

Everyone knows that Honda are the major contributor pushing for thechange to 800cc. They have probably been developing their bike for several years and it has caught all the other manufacturers on the hop.

Just wondering, are Honda and Ducati the only marques to offer an 800cc on the road?
  18. No, the NR750 was based upon the oval-pistoned NR500 which was a 4-stroke GP bike, built (unsuccesfully) to take on the 2-strokes. The NR500 was the last 4-stroke to compete in GP up until the current rule changes.
  19. Talking about MotoGP, Honda street bikes & the VFR………..
    Honda VFR1000 V5
    This rearend belongs to a new Honda V5. We believe it to be from a new VFR. The old VFR800 is now underpowered compared to Triumph Sprint ST and Ducati ST3, particularly in the midrange. Honda's MotoGP derived V5 will now be used commercially and VFR will be the first model to benefit. There are still speculations that the Blackbird will receive the V5 treatment as well. We estimate the new VFR to develop around 140Bhp with mega grunt. You can only imagine what the potential for the V5 in a Blackbird could be. It all depends on how conservative Honda chooses to be. But how sexy is that V5 rear end and single sided swingarm? TS

(ripped off some euro website)

20. If I recall, the V3 500cc Honda was such a failure that Freddie switched back to the 4 cylinder halfway thru the season. The V3 had the fuel tank under the motor and the exhaust went over the motor. This was meant to give less dive under brakes, and keep the weight low in the frame to allow easier side to side movement. It didnt work, and the V3 was scrapped.