Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda DN-01 owner and Postie Lover from Sydney :-)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by UncleMurphy, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster and my word this forum is helpful! I've been reading this forum about the Pre-Learner course in NSW and the Honda DN-01 (my current ride).

I've only recently got my civilian learners for the motorbike but purchased a Honda DN-01 (couldn't resist). One thing I'll say is it is a fantastic bike to ride! I do have my Defence car/motorbike/machinery licence but the RTA won't allow it to be converted into a civil licence - but hey, half the fun is waiting :)

One of the things I've been researching quite lately for my progression to my red Ps (MOST) is the good ol' Honda CT110 aka the Postie. One of the biggest advantages is the lack of clutch lever (I simply hate the amount of times I stalled during the Pre-Learners Course, its been ages since I've ridden a clutch bike). Confirmation from Stay Upright in Clyde (the MOST/RTA provider) that the Postie is classified as a Manual bike for the test was music to my ears.

Finding a decent Postie on the other hand has been a pain, with the requirements being 2XXX model under 30k kms with some sort of rego for under $1600-700 being a challenge. I have tried researching if there are places that hire these bikes but non exist (Stay Upright uses Honda CB125s and Kymcos). So if anyone here knows anyone in Sydney offloading their Postie it'll be great! :D

Chat with you guys and girls from this great forum soon.

2. Hey Victor,welcome to Netrider!
  3. Welcome to NR. Good luck with the progression and finding a bike :)
  4. Hello!
    Business first: Are you hot?

Fun second: I have owned two complete postie bikes and three partial postie bikes to repair the other two. Both complete bikes suffered busted pistons from me holding them at absolute max speed for the 15 minutes required to travel the length of the Charlestown bypass twice a day, every day for a couple of weeks.

Both complete postie bikes would have set me back $1500 plus if I hadn't take bits of the engine off to inspect before purchase. A really good postie that *hasn't* been thrashed will easily go for $2000 these days. In saying that, you can still get half decent ex-aus post bikes at auction for about $1200.

If you want a cheap bike to thrash around, go for a CB125E (there's a few second hand ones around, but don't pay more than $1200 because they come out of the factory at $1999) or see if you can get hold of an old step thru scooter - there's a couple out there that are classified as manual not auto.

Edit: The postman thrashes his bike. Because it's fun. They are fun bikes. But they can be killed, and surprisingly easily too.
  5. Thanks for the replies guys :)

ChesterCB - any other 'common faults' associated with posties? I have been watching like a hawk eye lately on Gumtree & eBay. Was only a few hours short in purchasing what looked to be a mint 2010 CT110 with 27k kms and September 2014 rego for $1600!

What are the rego costs for these bikes? If they are cheap enough for me to attend Pickles Auctions near my place - then I might have a stab. I'm quite mechanically handy fixing, replacing and diagnosing things.

6. The rego is amazing cheap. For a comparison, my 125 is going to be about $120 for rego and $119 for comprehensive insurance. Posties are about the same or very slightly cheaper.

For faults: they don't really have any. They are very well put together bikes, but they are only meant to do a max of about 60-70km/h. Any faster and you're damaging the engine. Just like any bike, ride it on the red line and the important bits will start to fail.

Because most posties end up going to new riders, they are probably poorly maintained and receive limited servicing if any at all. The up side is that they are very easy to take apart and put together again (I can do it, and I don't know what some bits of my CB400 even do) and you can find pretty good parts just about anywhere. Except pistons. Really good piston's are hard to come by.

Chains are normally pretty bad on posties. If you're buying a postie with 25k kms on the clock, it probably needs a new chain and sprockets, and this will set you back between $200 and $400 for the set. Factor this into any bike you look at because having a good chain is super important. A little bit of bad movement around the front sprocket and you're doing major damage pretty soon.

If you get a chance to take a look at a postie on weekends, or late I might be able to give you a second opinion. I'm no bike or mechanical expert, but I've had some fun times with posties.

If you want a bike you can play with engine wise and mods wise, get one as cheap as you can and start hunting parts.
  7. Hey there space biker :) Those DN-01 things look like hover bikes from the future. Welcome to Netrider.
  8. WAIT! They do have a fault.
    The wiring loom for the lights is quite tight by the front forks, so repeatedly putting the bike into full lock wears the wires down until the copper brakes, but the insulation is merely stretched. Three of the posties I had had this fault, where the previous owner couldn't find the fault and only hours and hours and hours with a multi meter going up and down seemingly good wires on one of the bikes found the problem.
  9. I often wonder how someone could enjoy riding such a gutless postie bike. Every time I see one going along the rider is smiling like crazy so more power to u mate
  10. I think the Post get rid of their bikes at auction houses when they're done with them. They got that new green bike now, so I imagine they'll be unloading the old red ones. They are generally well maintained. The Post is heavily focused on safety, so I'd say their ex bikes should be in good nick. I can find out if you like.
  11. Welcome, I have had a couple of posties that I use for bouncing around the dirt tracks where I live.
    My most recent one cost $800 with 26000ks.
    If you widen your search to west of Sydney you will find a bargain, factor in the cost of a ute to bring it back & you're still under $1k all up.

Posties are pretty much indestructible but my first one did have the wiring issue.

Heavy duty chain & sprocket kits cost $83 from onetenmotorcycles.

My mainland bike is a BMW K1300R but I reckon the postie is the best bike ever made (the Honda Cub on which it's based is the best selling bike ever).

12. They are generally well maintained until the guys who ride them are told that the bike is going. Then... well. No one is going to worry too much about taking care of a bike that the government is going to sell at auction :p

You are correct in insinuating that the BEST posties come from auction, direct from the Aus Post fleet. The worst posties come out of the garages of people like me who treat them like crap and try our very best to make them do the speed limit on the freeway.

I'm going to be trawling the actions both in NSW and SA for posties going cheap when the new super cub comes in.

13. Wish I'd known about this :(
  14. A mate is going up there in the next week. If you want parts pm me & I'll get her to pick something up for you.

15. Thanks, but I sold all my posties last year. And to help resist the temptation of buying another one, I made them take all the spares and all the specific tools too. Since then I've only helped other people fix their posties and I'm very slowly learning how to pull apart my two current bikes :D

16. Yup... I think you're 100% right on that one...

The new cub has come in. They are phasing out the red's as we speak.

If I get any info, will let you guys know...
  17. Hi again guys and girls,

Thank you for the wealth of information from members just from this thread alone! (y)

I'll keep my search for a Postie, hopefully something pops up. If not I may hook up with some of the members to 'assist' my purchase in one at Pickles.

Another thing has popped up - I've heard posties can buy back their bike at the end of it's service life with AusPost. Is this in anyway true? I do know my local Postie has the new green/fluro ones whilst the ones across town are still using the CT110 red ones. Would having a chat with them and giving them my business card work?

Thanks for the replies guys, back to my spaceship :peace: (The DN-01)

18. welcome to nr, why the postie bike again? you dont like using a clutch?
  19. Yep, not a fan of using a clutch. Plus they are a lot of fun to ride around! The added advantage is I can offload it to my Dad to ride around visiting friends or sell it off to my mates who are also doing the same thing :)
  20. all connections are good connections, go for it! I had a chat to my postman today, and he's still got a ct110.

Apparently, the green super-cubs are being resprayed because the green doesn't fit with the corporate colour of aus post. They are reissuing all the super cubs as aus post red.
    If anyone can get a green one, it will be super hot property in a few years time.