Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CT110 as a first bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by YamahaWoman, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I've been reading some things about this bike, and I've also read some advice about what you should look at for a first bike. My dream bike is the Suzuki Intruder 250, I had one about 5 years ago, never got my license for it though. I stalled it while trying to slowly take off on the concrete in my backyard and dropped it :(

The only damage was a couple of scratches that weren't very noticeable (lucky for me!). After that and watching the traffic on the road I thought it would be better to learn in a car first so I traded the bike, and I still miss it. I'd love to have the same type of bike again, but I think I should get something cheaper first, I'd rather drop a cheaper bike than my dream bike while I'm learning!

I'd like to hear what people think about the Honda CT110 as a first bike, and if anyone on here has/had one what did you think of it? Thanks everyone :)
  2. I had one (long after I had my licence though as a second bike), it was good on fuel, but I didn't think it was quick enough to lane split on. Also the brakes weren't good so you couldn't conserve speed. I preferred my Sachs Madass.

I would get a CBR125 if I wanted another small commuter.
  3. I like the look of the CBR125 but it might be a bit high for me... I'm only 5ft1 :( Stupid short legs!!!

When I had the intruder I could only just flat foot it on the ground and the seat height on that is 685mm, I saw the CBR's is 793mm.
  4. My partner wanted a postie bike reallybad until I made her realise that she wouldn't be able to go on long rides with me. For getting around your locality or CBD riding I think they are fine but besides that I would suggest getting something bigger.
    My girl is pretty short so after looking around for a suitable bike (she loves cafe racers/vintage bikes) she found a Suzuki TU 250x which I test rode last week. Very low seat height, has the look that she is after in a bike, stupidly easy to ride and can go at freeway speeds rather easily.

5. why not get on a Yamaha Virago 250 or the Vstar650?? Both lams approved one heavier then the othe of course but weight issue disappears once you are doing above walking pace. Something to think about..
  6. Nothing wrong with the CT as a first bike ass long as you recognise its limitations. Fun to thrash, cheap to run, almost unburstable in civilian use and holds up well to crashing. 'Sa bit slow for anything other than around town or any but the quietest country roads though.

I toured most of England and Wales on a Honda C90 Step-Thru, which is first cousin to the Postie, and lived to tell the tale. It just required careful route planning and a degree of mechanical callousness appropriate to thrashing it up vertical Welsh mountains when laden with me and a fortnight's luggage, tools and spares :twisted:.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I like Viragos, but the reason I was thinking of the little Honda is because it's very cheap and there's no fairings to break, and I could drop it without causing too much damage. I would only be using it for around town, so the limited speed on it would be fine. Thanks for the input PatB :)
  8. The CT will be fine. I rode one for 2.5 years and loved it. However,

if you can afford the Intruder, just go and get it. Parts will be utterly cheap from the wreckers should you drop it. Don't waste your time and money, it's a cheap bike, just go and get it!

The Virago has no fairings
    • Like Like x 1
  9. As Pat stated, you need to recognize its limitations.
    They don't handle well on the limit. They get a fairly good wobble going @ 80k+.
    And they don't like to stop.
    For mine they wont teach you much about riding and more so will give you bad habits. I know I have picked up heaps riding one every day.
    A Spada is as indestructible and a much better choice for mine. Only my 2 bits worth though.
  10. My C90 was like that. On the positive side, however much the bars were flapping and the undamped suspension was pogoing it always seemed to remain pointed in approximately the right direction.

Teaches good road reading habits. Or leads to you torpedoeing the back of a bus. Or both in my case :D.

Riding a slow bike might not give you the skills to attack the racetrack or the twisties in the fashionable manner but IMHO it teaches you heaps about the more Zen side of riding. As for the bad habits, that's a mindset thing. The observational and attitudinal techniques that, IMHO, a new rider should be cultivating can be applied on anything from a 50cc automatic scooter upwards. Physical bike control habits are relatively easy and quickto pick up, change or break. The mental habits required are much harder to change but (should) have little to do with your choice of machinery.

Having owned a wide assortment of "utility" Hondas and "proper motorcycle" Hondas I would doubt that the Spada equals the Postie on durability but I admit to no direct experience of the Spada.

All my opinion only.
  11. You thought the cbr125 was small for 5'1? =/ im 5'6 and i stood beside it and it seemed like a damn toy... *shrugs*
  12. I don't think the CBR is small for me, in fact it may be a little too tall.
  13. I considered a Postie while I was looking for my first bike. Cheap as to run and to look after but I wanted good brakes especially in Sydney traffic. I would say it good for commuting to work and for around city and everyone has mentioned it has its limitation.

CBR125R was another bike I looked at. Has its pro and cons but it wasn't for me.

Get your Suzuki. I think you will enjoy it a lot more and will take it out more often. Don't wait any longer for your dream bike.

Good luck with it.