Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CBR600RR stator woes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by somerider, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Hi all.
    I've got a CBR600RR with a (supposedly) dead stator. In an attempt to fix it I've replaced the battery, stator (with an Ricks motorsport electricsone that I got off ebay in the US) and the reg rec which was also (supposedly) dead.

It worked for a week and then saw me broken down on the syd harbour bridge. FAIL.

The reason I got the aftermarket one is because the mechanic told me a new Honda one was going to take 2 weeks to arrive on back order from japan and cost $500 plus fitting which seemed a bit rediculous. Apparently it worked when it went in, but the reg rec wasnt doing its thing so that was replaced as well. After it broke down again I took it back in and the mechanic is now telling me the stator is dead because I bought a crappy brand. Apparently its pumping out 86, 35 and 16 VAC out of each line.

I recently bought a Harley as I was planning to replace it anyway and given that I've replaced pretty much the whole charging system I'm not really willing to go round in a big circle again just to sell it. I'm starting to think the mechanic may not be doing the right thing by me.

Does anyone know what an OEM stator is worth? And can anybody offer any advice about replacing it with something aftermarket (pref from australia this time)? Has this happened to anyone before? Good mechanics with sound electrical knowledge in sydney? Does anyone want to buy a CBR with a dead stator? (jokes, sort of).

2. what year CBR?
    edit:
    and has it been dropped?

3. 2005 and no. Never been on a track day either. Well taken care of but I guess there isn't much you can do to prepare for an electrical fault. Same colour as yours but without the movistar bling.

4. i was reading something yesterday about the wires into the fusebox breaking where they're soldered.... maybe a dodgy connection could cause your issues? from memory the fuses are behind the left side mid fairing.... from what i was reading it's a pretty common issue on headlights but also could affect other bits and pieces i guess...???

try 600rr.net

5. for reference http://www.findapart.com.au seems to be pretty good for finding parts. Has turned up more results in two hours than the mechanic could in a week.

Bit weary of wreckers though. What if the parts dont work on arrival. Square one? Refund?