Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CBR600f3 '97

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by port80, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Last Saturday VTRElMarco and Impsta kindly joined me in the city to inspect my potential new ride. The price tag was on the higher side of similar aged bikes ($7000) however this bike had low kms and was generally very tidy. It was also fitted with a Micron slip-on and near new Pilot Road's.

The physical inspection left us all pretty surprised at just how good the bike had been looked after. There was barely a scratch on the body work and certainly no sign of any crash damage.

The bike started easily however the revs were a little unstable at first. After letting the bike warm for a while the throttle became much more responsive. There was no indication of any worrying engine noise or damage.

I'm not sure what 'it' is, but this bike had it. Knowing that there were not many other bikes about in this condition I left $100 deposit on it whilst we went around to Spot-on.

There was a '96 CBR600f3 there with 32,000kms which was $600 cheaper than the first one, but it was in lesser condition athsetically. The engine sounded strong and it also had a slip on pipe. The tyres, kms and physical condition (and colour, yuk!) were against it at $600 less. I just didn't think I could love it as much.

VTRElMarco diassapeared for a while taking the first CBR for a test ride. Impsta and I waited impatiently for the verdict. Once back Mark labelled it a 'gem' and said it was worth the money. Well if he liked it then I'm sure I would love it.

Somehow I lasted until Tuesday when Ray Quiency's were open again and I could leagally ride my new bike :grin:

Insurance came to $707 fully comp and would cover me as soon as I left the store (which I was keen to do). Paper work was signed, money paid and nervs unsettled as I prepared for my first ride on a big bike.

Even though its a 600 it is a bit higher than the Across I was used to, getting it off the footpath required a little more effort than I was expecting. I got it moving easily as there was more torque low than I was expecting. Maneuving around the city was simple and the brakes were progressive with lots of feel so I was always confident with what the bike was doing.

It was generally very easy to ride, although getting used to the position was a little tricky, although I later discovered that it's much better without a tank bag.

Knowing the weather forcast for Melbourne for the week I went into work to try get the rest of the week off. I came home a happy (and free) man :) I showed the wife what I had just invested the hard earned green in and she seemed pretty happy... I think it had to do with the smaller change over figure compared to the brand new bike I had shown her :)

So there it was in front of the house all shiny and full of fuel. I should have really gotten something to eat, but how could I? 23deg, blue skys, everybody else at work and me with a new bike.

I decided to head out Baccus way. As a few will know that road is a great test of suspension and test it tried. The front was excellent, telling me that the terrain was a bit rough without trying to dislocate my shoulders. The rear however was too firm, but that is adjustable (rebound, compression, preload).

Once settled in and I found a good ride position (much better without a tank bag) I thought it might be a good time to get to know the power as so far I had barely seen 6 grand register on the tacho. From a rolling start I gave it a fair wristful in second, watching the needle fly past 100 I figured that I should roll off and let her lump along in top . Just 6 grand was showing as I rolled along at the legal limit, that was until I found in fact I had yet another gear to go, so with just 5 and a bit grand showing and a more meaty note from the exhaust we continued.

A bit over a hundred clicks later I found myself back at home looking for some food and thinking about my newest purchase. I was impressed, the bike was clearly very fast, sounded great, looked great and I was sure it could out handle the rider.

Since Tuesday we have been through Ballarat and Ararat. Onto Halls Gap for a play in the hills. Down to Dunkeld and Warrnambool, back up via the Great Ocean Road to home. Not satisfied with my first attempt we travelled part of the GOR again and came up through Deans Marsh. More info in my ride report.

What I have learnt about the bike since Tuesday is that there is more power there than what I can control for some time. The power delivery down low makes city riding very easy and relaxing. The power past 7 thou comes on thick and fast. Long streaches of road can be ridden in a nice upright position (Wednesday I covered 500+ kms and still felt good) although the bike rewards you for getting forwards when the twisties approach. The range before reserve is just 200kms (depends on right wrist) but there should be another 50 after you flick the switch. I'm yet to find a reliable fuel consumption figure as most of my riding has been on and off with different fuel brands.

So far I'd have to say I'm having a ball with the world most boring bike :grin:

Big thanks to those that have helped along the way(in order of underwear colour), Impsta, VTRElMarco, Vic, Robsalvv, Chairman, Ronin11 (for not punching me when I said I bought a 929) and everybody else that has putting up with my pestering.

A pic can be found in the garage link.

2. Congratulations on the new stead. I’ve got an older version of your bike. It’s a 94 (F2) and there VERY hard to kill, to top it off there also lotsa fun to ride
  3. Here are some of my quick thoughts on the 20 minute thrashing I gave Port80’s new bike. He has bought a well manicured gem of a bike and it still looks like it just rolled out off the showroom floor. Although the graphic job will not be to everyone’s tastes (It looks like Barney the Purple Monster Thingy threw up on it after a hard night on vodka and Ribena), it is a good looking little bike and firing her up, gave a lovely fruity note, mainly due to the beautiful Micron pipe fitted. The carbon work on this number is awesome, and they do a great looking and sounding slip on. Well recommended.

Seating position is nice and neutral which would allow anyone to get used to it very quickly, but in typical tight arse Honda fashion, this seat foam is typically terrible. Hoiking it off the stand, it just feels like a largish 250. Well balanced, it allowed nimble city carving, much to the annoyance of all traffic around me. Out on the freeway, some Bolte Bridge off ramps allowed some high speed corning to be explored, and steering was very neutral. It just went were you pointed it with not much effort required through the bars. You do have to let the bike wallow around a little bit due to softish suspension (I could also be a fat b@st@rd) but this gave great feedback to what the road conditions under the bike were like.

Gear changes were typical Honda smooth, and the power was quite good. This is by no means a rear tire chewing torque monster of a motor, and it does require some revs to get exciting, but I reckon the bottom and midrange are R6/CBR600RR/Poofyracerboi equivalent. The top end was also pretty sweet, coming on with a great howl all the way to 14000 rpm, but this is were the racier 600’s would slightly show it up due to there extra 127000 rpm. You can get the bars to waggle nicely under power in 1 st gear, but you need to row the gear box a little at speed to get brisk overtaking completed. You can overtake in 6 th at 100 km, but it’s a bit blah…

All up, this is a great upgrade bike and Port has bought a top little number. You could do a bit of everything on this, track days, touring and commuting and even arena motocross, but my fear is that as an upgrade, you could outgrow it too soon and be wanting a little more. But for those looking to upgrade from the restrictions, and large bikes still cause the fight or flight response, have a look at an older 600 (Any brand will do), and you will do no wrong.

(Please ignore this last little bit of advise because I am addicted to overpowered faggy Italian v-twins)
  4. I was happy with being able to stick it in second and forget about the gear lever whilst riding a fair few parts of the GOR. To experience rowing the gear box I think you need to get a ride on these supreme handling, hi powered 250's you're always banging on about :p :grin:

The power is non-intimidating in the low rev range for somebody coming from a 250 that doesn't want to off themselves in the first week (i.e. myself). But compared to a modern-ish thou of pretty much any description or the SV650 I could see how the low-end could be a bit dull.
  5. You get a lot quicker on her mate, and you will find you need to use the gearbox a little more, but this can be a lot of fun sometimes. Especially as you up your corner speeds. Looks like you are bonding well with it, and we will have to go for a spin soon.
  6. Congrats, I took a look at this (and the TL1000S they have) in Quinceys a week back, both the tiydiest bikes I've seen at a dealers in the city. I was almost tempted, almost, but I'll hold out for VFR. If I kind find one in the condition your CBR is I'll be happy.
  7. You haven't ridden a GPX have you?
  8. Congrats on purchase, how many k's has it done?
  9. I bought it with 20,190 and it now has ~21,750.
  10. Nice work!
  11. A great all-rounder!

I have had my 97F3 everyday commute workhorse for 2 years 6 months now, I don't have a cage, nor do I want one because congestion bites and exists to fustrate cage drivers.

I have clocked up around 40 000 kms.

I have nothing but praise for the CBR600F, hence I am Fonda my Honda.
    I have pillioned numerous times, caned it, toured, oh so many happy kilometres.
    It is certainly a bike I would recommend to a person going from 250 restrictions to a 600.
    It certainly has all one could ask from it. Its a great all rounder!

However, I myself have found myself wanting.....more
    More power, More Torque, and hence a bigger smile.
    I would call myself a Sports Tourer kinda guy, not a Crotch Rocket type (eg RR, or R6, GXSR etc)

Lately, I have found myself wanting to lift the front wheel.....now I am 31 not 16 and yet why do I yearn to do this (I think cause I am outgrowing my 600)
    I do agree that, once the revs hit 7000k, it gets very urgent and exciting, however, I wish that power was also down low. (however Speed Limits and Speed Cameras would be a huge problem).
    You also work the gearbox more for overtaking, or to create power, lazy gear shifters will either need to be patient or get a bigger CC bike.

And so, if my wallet did not dictate me, I would be eyeing up say the VFR800, perhaps a Triumph Sprint 1050, or even the 900RR Fireblade pre-2000 when they were designed for comfort not hard edged performance with associated discomfort)

I have ridden the Honda Blackbird XX 1100 and found the bike fantastic, great power and torque and yet it was so smooth that it seemed to lack character?
    Perhaps time for me to try a V Twin? - say Suzuki TL1000S?

On another note, I share a garage and a 2000 R6 is parked alongside mine, now I had a sit on it and thought my god, sitting on my bike is like a lazy boy compared to sitting on the R6 concrete seat!! (I thought, yeah ok, maybe for 30mins rides max but it does look fantastic)

Anyways, Congratulations on your ride, it will serve you many happy kilometres.
    Its a great machine and despite what some might say..... my somewhat trivial needs for more power/torque etc I am very happy with mine 2.6 years later.

Let me know if you have any questions on this bike or want tips on handling this mount.

Eg One Tip - Watch those wide mirrors when Lane Splitting!!
  12. Thanks for the post Fonda... Hrrrm 900 you say? :p I know where there's a nice one for $7k onroad...
  13. Pimp my ride!

If I had a spare 7000k, I would already have acquired a bigger ride.
    Perhaps if I could find a Sugar-Mama so she could pimp my ride!