Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CBR500R 2nd slipping into neutral?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by DirtyDuck, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi guys,

I think I'm having some gearbox trouble or maybe i'm a terrible shifter!!?
    So when under high revs a shift from 1 to 2 may end up with it going into 2nd and then coming out and going into neutral. I don't know if its my shifting or the bike. Its only happened twice and lucky I got some footage of it happening, you should be able to hear it happening. I'm going to 60 degrees for a chain tighten etc so i'll talk to them about it aswell!
    I'm intrested to hear what you guys make of it!
    Cheers!

Link:

2. When you change up keep the pressure on the lever (upwards) until you have released the clutch. Sometimes you think you have kicked it into gear but you haven't and it ends up in neutral. Keeping the pressure on means that if it doesn't go in as you release the clutch it will feed in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. I'm fairly sure it went in though, listen to that video and you can hear it goes into gear for a bit then pops out?
    I'll try this way of shifting and see if it works though.
    Thanks!

4. You can be partially engaged but the dogs, which are little protruding metal pieces that lock adjacent gears together, may not have engaged fully and so when power is applied they slip out. Try what GreyBM suggests, if you are still having trouble it could be a bent selector fork but I think that unlikely. How many K's has the bike done?

5. Bike has done 17xxx :D