Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda cbr250rr

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Anthony88, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Hey guys, as you may have noticed on previous threads I'm gonna take up riding soon and my 1st preferred choice of bike is the Honda cbr250rr. My question is, are all Cbr250rr's grey imports, is maintenance high (cost/frequent/parts), is it easily insured, and finally how much would i expect to pay for one?
    Thanks in advance.(Also to the mods, I wasn't sure where i was meant to post this so i'm sorry if its in the wrong section of the forum.)

2. ALL R models are grey imports, and so are SOME RR bikes. The RRs were officially imported by Honda though, so greys are the minority. Lots of parts are interchangeable, but lots are not. Second-hand factory and aftermarket parts are abundant for the RR.

Here's a basic rundown of the differences from the CBR250 forum. I think the only thing they missed is that the wheels have different numbers of spokes - I can't remember which model has which though!

Oh and I should probably mention that the boring, cash-strapped safety police will tell you not to get one. I reckon they are a great bike, I ride my mate's RR at every available opportunity because it is so much fun. They hold excellent corner speed and will teach you to use the gears properly, as they just don't go if you are in the wrong gear!

Listen to me, I'm much cooler and better looking than the Netnanny safety police :LOL:
  3. Insurance wasn't too bad for me (can't remember the actual figure, I think around $1000)

Mine never missed a bit I just serviced it regurarly like you do to any bike.

I paid $6000 with a years full rego for a 1998 Aus Delivered RR.
  4. bullet proof engines. sounds horn with a good zorst. beat most cars draggin at traffic lights. but way overpriced for the age and size of bike.
  5. :shock: ..and all this time I thought a CBR250RR was just a plain old CBR250R with a slight stutter.

6. from what i've found out about them, the RR was imported by honda from 97 and there were no new models after 96, correct me if im wrong. You will have to pay more for a Aus import and if you are young your insurance will be fairly hefty. You can get online quotes.
  7. Definatly get an RR. Great leaners bikes and you wont be able to push it to its max before you get off your restrictions unlike alot of other 'learner legal' bikes.

Easy to service if you get a manual off the internet and i've found parts easy to get and pretty good prices. For full comp insurance for an 18 yr old, you'll get reemed. I got quoted $2800. I ended up getting theft and 3rd party property for $750.

Your right they did stop making them in 1996 but Honda Australia sold them as new up untill 2000-2001 I think. Great bikes and definatly worth considering as your first bike. Although they are expensive if you come off.

I payed 5500 for mine. 98 Aus model excellent cond 42k on the clock. Looking back I probabally paid to much but I dont regret it because there great bikes and i'll probabally be able to sell it for near the same in about a year.

Hope that helps.

8. hi mate.

i was just like you a few months ago, doing as much reading up as i could on CBR250RR's.

mine is a 1990 model CBR250RR which i bought slightly battered for $3450 off ebay so i did pretty well.
    one point to make is that the RR models between 1990 and 1993 all had 45 horses, where as from 1994 onwards they were limited down to 40 ponies. since they are all old no matter what you buy, id reccomend an earlier model with more power, because the extra power is only up high, the region you will reach only when you have more experience on the bike. more power = fun, but at the same time your not compromising your safety.

i personally also reccommend the RR model over the single R model as the variety of replacement and performance parts as well as fairing mods etc. is insane. its incredibly easy to find parts for the RR compared to all of the other 250 sports bikes.

it is a good bike however as it is very forgiving, a little accidental yank on the throttle wont send you into a tree or a pole, like a 600 or 1000 will. this is coming from a guy who did the learner course of a 125cc cruiser with about 10 horses or so. i finished and jumped straight on my 45 horse sports bike and it was as easy as anything to adjust to.

i cant tell you too much about the handling as im still a fairly new rider and am currently not pushing the limits of my CBR, but it is really stable at almost any speed, letting the bike do most of the work for you. when your not at a speed it is also easy to hold up as it is very light. my mate dropped his brand new suzuki gs500 which he payed $8300 for doing a U-turn. also my friends honda NSR150 2-stroke is pretty quick but nowhere near as stable. any little bumps you hit send your steering a little haywire, making it much more of an effort to ride the a CBR.

ok so ive been talking up CBR's like they are a gift from god, to bring you down to earth, unless you pick up a ripping deal on one, your probably better off getting a Kawasaki ZX2R (ZXR250) Ninja,a Yamaha FZR250 or suzuki GSX250F (Across) which are the equivalent bikes to the Honda CBR250RR.

its your choice to make but i hope ive helped put a biased opinion about the CBR's in your head in order to join the club of hooligans on bikes which any learner adviser will tell you not to get. :twisted: :LOL:

good luck buddy :wink:
  9. Maybe a high mileage, poorly maintained unit with over-inflated tyres?

Our low mileage NSR150 steers immaculately around town and in the open. Bumps do not affect our steering - the faster you go the more rock-solid it feels.

Trevor G

PS I don't think the fact I weigh 90 kg is an issue; even two-up it performs excellently.
  10. I use to have an NSR150 and I agree it's way unstable. They are extremely light and they have pogo stick suspension which adds up to you being bounced all over the place. My RGV (not exactly considered to be a stable bike) is like a cruiser in comparison.