Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CBR 1100XX. What a bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by brettw, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Hi All,

I picked up my new CBR 1100 on Friday and all I can say is Wow!!!!!. My family still can't wipe the grin off my face.

After not owning a bike for a few years I decided it was time to take the plung once again. I did a lot of research before deciding on the best bike for me (thanks to the users here for their input) and test rode a number of machines before deciding on the Honda.

Why the CBR 1100? Well I'm not the smallest guy in the world so I was looking for a sport/Tourer with a comfortable riding position and just an overall good feeling. With the colour matched factory panniers the bike not only preforms but looks great as well.

I'll keep you all informed over the comming weeks as I have several trips planned.

Brett

2. Congrats mate. :)

Have you any pics???

Cheers
    Lids
    :D :D

3. Brett, you have one hell of a bike there, I have had mine for about 5 months and they are a great bike, great value for money. I have changed the pipes to micron's which gives it a bit more of a note, other than that I have been on some rides from 9 til 6pm and have never felt like I could not jump back on and go another few hundred k's.

Crongratulation on the good choice.
    Let me know if you want some pics of my bike with the micron's. I also managed to get personalised plates with XXBRD on them.
    Here are a few pics Pics of CBR1100XX

4. Had mine now for 17months . One of the best bikes i have owned. :D :D

5. without a doubt the 05 Bird is the smoothest bike ive had, and a damn nasty beast at that.
    Only problem is the original rubber is shamefull, and i mean damn shamefull change over to Powers as soon as possible and get a tank protector otherwise she'll scratch up damn quick.

Another point, they chew the juice

6. shabby wrote

Spot on with both statements.

7. when are you buying a harley that is the best bike to have midnight you should know that :D :D :D :D :D

8. yar, they're not too bad for a more than decade old bike

9. Hi Guys,

The tank protectors been ordered, and the new rubbers being fitted on Friday (the original rubbers a little ordinary isn't it). I've found the fuel economy ok if I stay under 110km/h. Intercoms next thing on the list along with a sheepskin seat cover.

BTW I still can't get the grin off my face

Follow the link for a picture

http://www.driptorch.com/pictures/bike1.jpg

Brett

10. How many k's have you done on the bike? was it brand new? mine is just going in for it's 6,000k service, but there is still rubber left so I wasn't planning on changing it until the 12,000 service or sooner.

11. The original rubber is fine for the first 2000km then the BT57's seem to loose all traction and control, i wont even enter into the wet riding with that crap rubber. You will find the Bird's handling completely changes with the Powers, but damn they stick like shyte though.

The 05's have another issue with the linked brakes, to much pressure to the rear caliper and you can wear out the rear pad in under 5000km. Mines going in to have some valve fixed on Thursday.

12. So did you change the Powers recently, also I don't ride in the wet and not as hard as you, so maybe these might see me thru till the next service.
    What did you pay to change to Powers?

13. nothing unusual to see 150000km out of the BT57's for someone who commutes and rides nicely on the weekends.
    Had the Powers now for around a month and love them, they cost $500 and the deciding factor was the Pilot Roads were $470, Z6 $540, Avons $530, BT14's $525.
    There all around a similar price and they were between 4000km for hard riding to 8000km good riding.

14. Thanks for that info, I might see how they go over the next couple of months and if they need changing it looks like Powers is a good choice.

15. Very nice bike mate. Not too sure on the sheepkin seat idea though??

16. when you go chasing a new set of rubber steve give me some warning as i'll prolly be after a new set around then, we might be able to get a cheaper deal.

Sheepskin is a great idea for long distance two up touring, general commuting the Birds front seat is very comfy.

17. Have a sheepskin given to me that i tried on the bird but found it to be to slippery with the leathers . Its fairly new , dont know if it would , say , wear in ?

18. with respect to the Blackbird's DCBS (linked brakes), what do you guys think of it?

I have a late model CBR1000F with the DCBS and I hate the damned system. I tap the rear brake and the front dives on me, particularly when I set the bike up for a corner. Props it up and tends to make it run wide.

I've had to change my riding style to suit the damned brakes. If I could disconnect it I would. Why you'd want the rear brake to operate the front is beyond me. Rather, have the front lever operate both brakes, or have the rear operate independant of the front when desired.

I'm looking at a new bike, and I'm mulling between a B'Bird, ZX-12 or even the ZX-14 when it's released, a VTR1000 or perhaps a Duke ST3. I looked at the Hayabusa, but that's a tad extreme for me, styling-wise. Except for the 'bird, none of them have linked brakes.

19. Sounds like a good idea, even if you are heading sown for new rubber let me know.

20. I actually quite like the braking system mjt57 . Bit of a shock when i first took the beast out but didn't take me long to warm to the concept . I think it's all down to personal choice . Not a loud bike by any means but a good set of pipes will help . Steve swears by the ones he has on his beast.