Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CBF 1000 reviews/advice please?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Penny187, Sep 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hi All,

Thinking of getting a CBF 1000 as a commuter/ tourer to sit along side the street triple in the garage.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who's owned one. Why is it that I can only find 2008 models for sale? I expect sales weren't great and Honda pulled them in Australia.

Also I notice there are both CBF 1000 and CBF 1000F models. What's the difference? Keen for the ABS being a commuter, what's the experience with this bike's ABS?

Also any info regarding the bikes reliability and known issues would be good as well as how you enjoyed the bike. Fireblade engine!

thanks,
    Penny

2. I havnt ridden one but considered buying one. The reviews on the gen 3 z1000 were just too good so I brought that instead and love it.

3. I can't be sure if it's the same model your talking about, but I remember reading a review of the CB1000, the conclusion was basically it was a good bike but the seat was uncomfortable, but the small tank meant you were stopping fairly regularly (200km) for fuel anyway.

4. Pretty detuned Fireblade engine, really a 900 Hornet with fairings. I only read one road-test, I can't remember what it was pitted against, but the testers did like it.
    Here's an Asutralian review.. http://roadrider.com.au/bike-reviews/honda-cbf1000

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. No doesn't sound like anything I've read about this bike...might be the CB1100 your looking at. The CBF is meant to be plenty comfortable and a lot longer range than that with a view for medium touring duties.

6. Nice choice but for me the z1000 and CBF are apples and oranges. Looks like you went hoon and I can't argue with that.

7. I looked up last night, you are quite correct. It is the CB1100 I'm thinking of.

I haven't ridden the CBF1000F, but given it bears uncanny resemblance to the FZ1S, Bandit etc I'd say it would be quite comfortable.

8. As for why is there only 2008 models for sale, probably because it had an incredibly short run in Australia, as did the CB1000R.

9. Ah, CBF1000... I took it for a test ride and I came *this* close to buying one. It was a bike in many ways built just for me: very comfortable ergos for my size, for one thing. But more than that, it embodied qualities that I look for in a bike: understated in appearance, smooth yet powerful enough, well made and reliable. Not an object of raw, sexual passion but a well-made, ruthlessly efficient tool well matched to my needs.

Under that somewhat bland plastic sat one of the best engines for road use at the time. 'Neutered Fireblade'? That's something a spec-sheet jockey might say. In practice, between its tuning for low-end torque and lower gearing, at road-legal speeds that thing would probably beat Fireblade - it pulled incredibly well, effortlessly and smoothly at any (legal) speed, in any gear (almost).

So what happened? Well, as I said, it was a bike built just for me - but I seem to be in a small minority of Australian riders, though perhaps such outlook is more common in Europe (where this bike sold very well and for many years). To add another nail in its coffin here, Honda Australia decided to market it as a premium product, at first hinting at it being a replacement in their range for the just-discontinued Blackbird... That was pure nonsense, of course. CBF1000 was a great budget bike but it was nothing like the Blackbird! It *was* a natural competitor for Suzuki Bandit and more than a match for it, but it was handicapped by the stupidly high price.

It was brought to Oz for only one model year, and predictably under the circumstances it didn't sell well. Eventually dealers dropped the prices to match the Bandit more closely, at which point the remaining stock marched off the showroom floors quick-smart. And me? By then I pulled the trigger on lightly used and much cheaper CBR600F.... and that was that.

10. Yep, if you're going to try and compete with a Bandit, you need to get the price down to around $13000.

11. Thanks Turtles...great info. I suspected it didn't sell well and it is more $$ in the UK over the bandit as well but perhaps not as much of a gap.

The more I look at this category I find myself looking at the GSX1250 (bandit). More out there and can get a newer model, nearer 2010, for the 2008 CBF1000 money.

TBH if there were a 2008 near 600cc sports touring machine near $7k with ABS and at least 75bhp I'd be keen. Plenty out there that tick all the boxes except ABS.

12. Why the need for ABS? I mean, why let that stop you from buying what could otherwise be the perfect bike for you?

13. ABS is how I'm going to sell the idea of a second bike to my wife!

14. Umm, OK. Do you think she'll fall for it?

15. Yeah, you've got a bit of a problem here because ABS is actually a fairly recent development for bikes imported to Australia so if you must have ABS you'll be probably looking at a newish bike which in turn will tend to push the price beyond that 7k budget. I was also going to suggest Yamaha TDM, but I don't think we ever got them with ABS...

What about an older BMW?

16. My CBF1000F (ABS) is an excellent bike for both touring and commuting. Comfort is excellent and the motor/gearbox combination is the smoothest I have come across. More power than you could possibly use and torque that pulls low and smooth.

I absolutley love the bike - had a TDM 900 that was awesome but I wrote that off a year ago on the Putty Rd. (Tried the Tiger 1050 and F800GS as real contenders but bought the CBF).

The drawback for me for the CBF was the light front forks - I am a bit heavier than the average - it dove under braking with slowish recovery (non adjustable forks in this day and age?). So new fork springs and a revalve and the handling is superb.

Range for touring is around 325km before the needle hits the reserve limit and around 225km commuting. Thats around 15 litres with 5 litres spare.

Its a bit heavy at around 220kg dry but you don't know that when you're riding :)

If you want more info the forum is http://cbf1000.com and has all the information you could possibly want.

Whatever you buy have fun.

17. cheers frodg that's great. The CBF is still in the hunt.

And to answer your question b12 I'm not trying to fool my wife. That's terrible. But a bike with ABS sounds so much safer. Just like a car!

18. Do you think she'll fall for it?

19. Superb farkle

Just put the Madstad on the CBF1000 2009 and very pleased.

Huge difference on the slab.

For those in Canada or Australia - you have to email the company and request the model as it's not listed on their website.

Really completes the bike as a touring platform that is still light and agile. 10 minutes to put on and between the stock height adjustment and the Madstad up and down and tilt it's excellent....can't imagine it not being adjustable for every rider.

I have the Vario screen as well and I'll likely just leave the combo on for a little extra adjustment.
    Pics tomorrow.

No more distance touring this year so will figure out a seat over the winter or bring one in from Australia if there is something available.

Anyone know if there is a third party seat available in Australia?? Thought I had a Shad worked out but it's only for the 2012 :(