Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CB400

Discussion in 'Naked' started by darklightBoy, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Just picked up the latest AMCN, there's a quick snippet there about some new Hondas:

I've said a couple of times in the past that we'll see some more mid-size LAMS bikes show up, looks like the GS500 is gonna have some competition at last. Although with an EFI, water-cooled four I can't imagine the CB400 would be exactly cheap?

Learners? Would you take one of these rather than a 250? Thoughts people?

2. is that the only one they're bringing?

personally don't like cruisers so wouldn't buy one

now if they bring in a sporty replacement to the cbr250rr... well then
  3. There's two models.

CB400 - Naked bike. Similar to this:

As well as the VT400:

4. That CB400 is a nice looking bike.

The VT400 doesn't look quite as well styled as the 750 version but not bad.

More competition isn't a bad thing anyway :)
  5. Still waiting on a price. Don't think the GS500 will suffer too much since the CB400 will most definitely cost more. In fact it'll more than likely cost a LOT more. Unless they source it from somewhere other than Japan can't see it being any less than 10k, probably be closer to 12k (more still for the Bol Dor version).

Really don't see why anyone would pay that much more for a 400 just as a learner bike (though never thought anyone would pay so much for a CBR125 either so who knows).

Bringing in the current generation 250 Hornet or even the parallel twin CB400SS would have made much more sense IMO - both are similar in price to the outgoing VTR, and there's still a definite demand for parallel-4 250s in this country.
  6. Which makes you wonder, why are there no four-cylinder 250s on the market these days? AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong), but they all disappeared from the Australian market in the mid to late 90s? It all seems to be singles and twins now.

As my brain thinks, I'm guessing it costs more to engineer an I4 250 than it does a twin. You're right on the price aspect JD, but maybe as they become more popular prices might come down?
  7. Doubt it. Even in Japan the CB400 sells for around A$8,000, and their yearly bike sales would probably exceed the total number of bikes ever sold in this country.
    Which is why I find it baffling that the 250 Hornet, which is now fuel-injected and costs just A$5,000 in Japan was overlooked :?
  8. Re: I told you! (a.k.a. Mid-sized LAMS bikes)

Yes I would, I'm a larger bloke, the 250's are just too small for me. I still prefer the GS500 though, but its good that learners/restricted license holders are going to have more options.
  9. Bring back the CBR's...

CBR400 and 250 would sell like hot cakes seeing as how they're shifting the 125's (based mostly on looks)
  10. What I'd like to see here is this:

It's A$1,000 cheaper than the CB400 in Japan yet offers pretty much identical performance (same power, same weight) - without the added complexity of VTEC.

It also looks better.
  11. Hopefully Honda will put pressure on legislators to bring the price of greenslips for all LAM's bikes in line with 250cc machines.

Current greenslip pricing based on capacity is a joke.
  12. More competition usually results in a 'win' for the consumer \:D/

I gotta agree, the CB400 looks good, and is a great choice for a LAMS bike
  13. oooh I have to say if the CB400 was around when I had my L's, i probably would have gotten one.

looks hawt
  14. Honda probably decided they didn't need a more expensive 250cc machine in Australia, which is why they are dropping VTR in the first place. It's a fairly logical conclusion, I think because 250cc market consists of two groups:

- cheapskate commuters who want one thing only: low cost. They are served by the CBF250 or a number of other bikes under 5 grand and are not interested in spending any more.

- wannabe sport riders who *would* prefer to get a Fireblade, but are stuck in the low capacity bracket thanks to the legislation. They will jump at the biggest capacity they can, so they should be satisfied with CB400.

However, CB400 should also appeal to another group of riders: 'the sensibles' - those are similar to cheapskate commuters in that they don't particularly want the biggest meanest bike the money can buy, are somewhat sensitive to purchase price and are concerned less about the image and more about things like the running cost... but still want to cover larger distances and/or would like a bit more poke than a 250 can provide.
    In short, the sort of people who buy GS500, despite not being restricted.

I think this is a very good move by Honda. Heck, I might be interested myself...
  15. It'd be great if they started pulling the old CBR400RR's out of mothballs, and gave it a modern refresh and update.

The 400cc capacity class is WAY too under-rated. For the real world they make great sense. Problem though is that the market is heavily self deluded with the fallacy that bigger is better.
  16. Which is even more baffling considering the VTR is their best selling learner bike at the moment - and sales are actually increasing. So clearly price is not a deterrent, and I reckon even a naked p-4 250 would still lure a lot of buyers who'd otherwise be chasing a worn-out CBR.
    The CB400 is a sensible bike, and not just for learners (don't like it myself because of the VTEC engine but I would buy the XJR400 if I could). Thing is though most learners aren't looking for sensible or something long-term. They just want something shiny that looks like a racebike - which is why the Hyosung is leading sales and why the new Ninja will also likely do extremely well.
    Unfortunately the sports 400 market in Japan is dead, and it's unlikely such bikes will ever be made again (they certainly wouldn't bother making them just for Oz). At the moment the only real options are the nakeds (CB400 and GSR400) or retro style bikes (SR400, W400, CB400SS).
    Of course I reckon it's only a matter of time before the Chinese figure out how to fuse a couple of single-pot 250s (or 4 125s) together to make a workable 500 - if they slapped a fancy fairing on it (most likely copied from a Fireblade/GSXR/etc.) it'd probably dominate LAMS sales. Eventually Japanese made bikes are just going to be priced out of this end of the market entirely.
  17. dual shock rear? :shock:
    thats taking retro too far! :LOL:

the modern cb's, cbf's are fat and underpowered, but this is what lams wants. couldnt be worse than the ol' GS.
    i reckon they would go for about 9 brand new, maybe 10. anything above that would be a joke, although i wouldnt put it past honda MPE oz to have a crack and see what the market is willing to pay.
    i dont think it would shake up the lams market majorly, people buy Gs500fs and Hyo GTRs becuase the LOOK like a sports bike, the cb4 does not. it looks like a retro muscle bike thats had reduction surgery.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Heh, I think that's exactly what I like about it. I'm fond of the real retro muscle bikes like CB1300, GSX1400 or ZRX1200 but honestly they are far too big, heavy and expensive to run when all I truly need is to get around the city and maybe go on occasional weekend ride. Realistically, CB400 should be enough for mine, and in fact for most people's needs.

Check out some of the clips you can find on youtube: it will accelerate from 0 to 100 under 4 seconds - according to one clip, a fraction slower than Er6 but a fraction faster than FJR1300... not to mention faster than almost all cars on the road.

It will do a true 160km/hr, which is quite enough for a naked bike anyway.
    And it will be cheaper to insure, register and run than bigger bikes.
    Truly, a sensible all-round machine!

On spec, it seems to be almost identical to GS500 (data taken from http://www.motorbikes.be)
    CB 400:
    power: 53 hp/11,000rpm
    torque: 38 Nm/9,500rpm
    dry weight: 170kg

power: 48 hp/9,200rpm
    torque: 40 Nm/9,500rpm
    dry weight: 180kg

GS tank holds two liters more than the CB. But the CB has better brakes (on paper). If Honda managed to price it in the same ballpark as the GS, I think it should do OK.
  19. Two very different approaches to the same result though.
    Suzuki = Cheap, simple, air-cooled parallel twin.
    Honda = Expensive, complicated (eg VTEC), water-cooled 4 cylinder.

As far as cheap, sensible transport goes the Suzuki is well out in front.
  20. Agreed, and I totally agree with you that it would be fantastic if Yamaha brought their XJR400 to Australia. But as far as we know that's not on the cards, not for now anyway. In the near future the choice will be between GS and CB, and I'm all for simplicity and low prices - but in my eyes at least, CB just looks SO much better!

We won't know exactly how these two compare until Honda announces their pricing, though knowing Honda, I'm not holding my breath for any bargains. I'm just hoping their pricing won't be completely ridiculous.

Personally, I'll probably just get that SV650... unless I can find a good deal on CB900.