Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CB250N super dream Cafe Racer Project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Ewan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Cafe Racer

2. Restore

0 vote(s)
  1. Hi all. I just picked up a 1979 CB250N Super Dream. I bought it as a practice bike to learn more about bikes and motors.

I have the vision to rebuild this thing and change the stylization to a vintage cafe racer. I am however working towards a budget.

Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. What are some of the basic mods one might look at on this bike?

Any comment appreciated.

2. :google:

3. If it is in decent running order already, you would be surprised with the difference that a cafe racer seat and straight through exhaust with some exhaust wrap will make. Would probably also look at removing those side panels directly under the seat and cleaning all that up to make it look 'simpler'. With those I think it will look great and will certainly be something different.
  4. Thanks Mitch.

I bought this bike for $500 to practice. To rebuild the motor and strip it down and put it all back together again. I dont want to spend much more than 2 grand not including the rego.

The bike started when I got it but didnt run well. It had been sitting around with fuel in it for a year or so they tell me.

I was thinking about removing all the gear from the tank back and running a solo cafe seat and basically removing all the unnecessary stuff from the bike.

I really need some more info about the seats. Are there after market cafe seats available or will it need to be a custom. I will ty find some pics of the seats I like.

Here are some pics of the bike when I got it.

5. Mate, if you are going to completely strip the bike, make sure you document EVERYTHING! Take a million photos, they will be invaluable when putting it back together. Photograph every step, no matter how trivial you think it is. Perhaps even get a mechanic to help you out?

Looks like a top buy for 500 bucks mate. Seats can be had on ebay (search 'cafe racer' and have a look), but once you know what dimensions you want it wouldn't be too hard to have one fabricated. Just comes down to a matter of cost, really.
  6. Thanks again Mitch. The bike is already stripped down and I catalogued everything as I went. I am sanding back the frame this weekend to give it some new paint. Alot of the gear I took off wont be going back on the bike though. I will take a look on ebay for cafe bolt ons cheers.
  7. After checking out some of the cafe forums and looking at countles pictures of cafe pics I now have a clear sight of what I want to do to with this build. One problem..... I cant weld.

Any one in Newcastle who enjoys welding and bike building care to lend a hand?

At the end of the day there isn't alot of welding to do but plenty of beers after.
  8. Anybody welding anything to a CBN frame will need to be really really good. The steel is so thin and of such a low quality there is no margin between stone cold and vaporised.

Trust me on this.
  9. Thanks for heads up with the welding PatB. Its shouldn't be an issue though. All I am having welded in is a plate to hold the battery under the seat cowl.
  10. Thanks for the link tankgirl but it only showed up google images. I started making my seat yesterday. Still a along way to go as I am applying single layers of fiberglass and letting them set over night. Will be sure to post some pics if it turns out any good.

11. Ewan, what have you used for your seat pan template - a modified pan or did you fabricate one?
  12. I've made a couple of seats (a long time ago) by forming the seat pan from expanded aluminium mesh which used to be available to support bog when doing bodgy repairs on rusty car bodies. It may still be around but I haven't had need to look recently :grin: .

It was dead easy to form into quite complex curves and trim to a neat edge. It could then be either covered with 'glass directly (attempt 1) which worked but left a predictably horrible finish underneath with dribbly resin and exposed mesh, or covered with a few layers of glad-wrap and then 'glassed (attempt 2).

Polyester resin eats glad-wrap, but given enough layers, there's just time for the resin to go off before it completely disintegrates. Once the mesh and the remains of the glad-wrap are pulled out, the finish is quite acceptable for a hidden area, given a coat of satin black.
  13. Tank girl - I am making a seat pan from scratch fiberglassing it off the frame (step 1). Then I will sculpt a seat from foam that molds to the tank and fits to the rear mounts (step 2). Glass over the top of the foam (step 3). Once the resin sets I will dig out all the foam (step 4). Then glass the 2 parts together (step 5). The plan is to be left with a seat that fits perfectly to the frame and wont move side to side or front to back.

PatB - The vinyl resin I purchased did not eat away the glad wrap. It did however eat away some paint that I had not removed from the frame.
  14. Ewan, so, how do you determine how much allowance to make for upholstery? Considering snug pan/base fit.
    Getting pro. upholstery or giving it a go yourself?
    I tried this years ago on an old 650 Yami chopper - I suc at it. *LOL*
  15. Tankgirl it may be a little hard to explain without pics. Basically the seat pan and cowl are one piece made from fiberglass. The seat pad and upholstery are another piece. I basically will just sew or glue the foam to the under side of the leather upholstery and fasten it with press studs or even glue it down to the seat pan. If you google images cafe race seat you might get more of idea what I mean.

this link might help too

http://www.creaturefromthebloglagoon.org/fiber/12-6-06 latepass/seat2.jpg

I will do the upholstery myself at first. I have covered car dashboards and my xv250 seat before. It shouldn't be too hard. You just gotta keep it tight as you go. I also have a vacuum press (at work) that I use for glueing. It sucks the air out and sets the glue in 30 seconds.
  16. If you need to allow for upholstery or a damper between the seat and frame you can use tyre inner tubes or cardboard.
  17. Cool, thanks for explain & pic. Sorry to be so nosey.