Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CB250 starter motor fault?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jimmyjames182, Aug 28, 2009.

1. My 01 cb250 is developing a fault.

On occasion - and it's getting more frequent. Pressing the starter the starter motor sounds like it's turning (whirring sound) but the motor isn't being turned over.

It will start after a few goes - don't know if it will get worse over time.

Is the fault in the starter motor or something else?

Changing the starter over looks like I need to remove the left hand crank cover (do I need to drain oil before this), unbolt the starter and take the small crank chain off the end of it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. Is the starter motor making electrical clicking sounds or does it actually sound like its turning over?

If it makes electrical clicking sounds like "dat dat dat" Put the battery on charge overnight then give it another go.

I haven't personally removed a starter motor from a CB250 but have from an R1 and it is a simple job which was done without draining oil etc. It may be a case that the starter motor pinion gear is just gummed up with crap over the years and needs a clean and lubricate.

Just my 2c and good luck
  3. Ok, bugged my local honda dealer and came up with the following.

Starter motor makes a whir when it fails to turn the engine over. Service guy suspects the clutch assembly that the starter turns over in order to start the motor may need lubrication.

Other suspects are the solenoid or starter motor itself.

I'll pull the starter motor off tomorrow and see what that does - who knows might do the trick.

For the record all you need to do to remove the starter motor on a 2001 cb250 is undo the 4 bolts holding it in place. It pushes into the back of the motor, sealed by a large o ring.
  4. Sounds like starter clutch problem... Hondas are ususly good but they do ware out... Parts can be expensive...