Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda CB1300 gearbox/clutch issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by BigChris119, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I'm jumping into this forum without preamble.

About a year ago I got my hands on a 2004 Honda CB1300 with about 40K on the clock. About 6 months after I got it, I started hearing (and feeling) vibrations and what can only be described as a grinding noise when under acceleration.

The noise is only audible when under acceleration in first or second gears and only when the RPM is under about 4000.

I can't figure if it's a gearbox issue or clutch problem. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

2. I'm not sure what you're dealing with as mine, now at 56,000km, has been faultless. A few owners on the CB1300 forum in the UK have reported gearbox issues (slipping out of fourth under hard acceleration) but their posts suggest to me that they cane their bikes hard and many seem to shift without the clutch. My mechanic services several CB13s and reports no fundamental issues with them. First gear whines in most of them due to the gear cut, and the most common source of vibration is tights spots in the chain. What condition are the chain and sprockets in? Jump onto http://www.hondacb1300.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl and see if anyone else has experienced something similar. But they are bloody good, tough bikes.

3. Thanks. The bike had a service a few months back at the shop I got it from and they said that the chain was ok but no mention of the sprockets. Whilst the service seemed to address the noise, it came back again about 6 weeks later.

In all honesty though, I hadn't considered the chain or sprockets being a potential cause of the problem. I'll have a look at that website you've linked.

Much appreciated.

4. Its a pity you're not up this way as I have a great CB13 mechanic here in Brisbane. I'll pitch the symptoms to him and see if he's come across it.

5. It is. I'm still trying to track down a good mechanic here in Melbourne. I got my last bikes serviced at Peter Stevens but they were a bit steep. Still, I couldn't fault their work so I might just head back there.