Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HONDA CB 125 E for farm

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cobber, Oct 15, 2016.

1. hi, is it possible to use a honda 125 e as a farm -fishing-type bike, would suspension be ok. i had a postie bike that was great but now i love the look of the honda and a touch more power, and i love the on road price. i will be only riding slow through farm land etc to acess rivers to fish, and a few bush camp sites. ive looked at road trail bikes but are to pricey or the smaller bikes like the xr125 can only be rec registered. i thought may be a semi off road tyre on the rear might be ok.

2. Depending on where you are and how much you want to spend, I'd be calling country dealers for an ag bike, they usually have a few sitting around to go to a wholesaler, might pick one up cheap, looking for trouble trying to take a small road bike "off road" its not built for such things and will end in tears, should be able to pick up an ag 200 for a reasonable price and its built for such riding
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ag bikes are expensive. A dr200 is $4k and you cant register it. Only the ct is registered and its like $5500

The 125e will be no worse than the postie. I had a ybr125 overseas. Took it bush bashing a bit. It was fine if you went slow. Like less tha 10kmh
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'd say go for it. Postie bikes are getting kinda expensive especially considering what they are. I've owned quite a few, and owned a couple different CBs including a CB125E and they're a lot of bike for the money! I bought one brand spankers when they were on special for only $1900. Made to last and they're light and easy to ride, great as a farm bike. postie bike has its advantages though; auto clutch and low to the ground makes lots of getting on/off easy if you're using it for work. Kinda somewhere between a bike and an ATV in that sense.

As to capabilities, don't let people talk you out of it. I've ridden a huge number of miles across some of the roughest terrain in the world in korea, japan, china, indonesia, philippines, new zealand, russia, and much of it was on 125s. It's the rider, not the bike. Anytime you start getting convinced by guys that purpose built off roaders are the only thing to get around on dirt then just go have a look at guys riding up goat tracks with half a tonne of rice on the back or half a dozen slaughtered pig carcasses and you'll soon change your mind ;-) I've been out ridden plenty of times by locals on lesser bikes while riding offroad.
  5. thanks for the speedy replies,as above rec reg only on farm bikes and postie bikes are not only getting pricey but the later push start and EFI are hard to find at the auctions at the moment. price i got for cb125e was $3000 ride away,with warranty,hope to get it a bit cheaper if i decide to go for it. PS-- more replies welcome. CHEERS, Peter.
  6. Posties are getting expensive and hard to find because they're being phased out. Every postie bike you see on the road was actually once a postie bike, you can't buy a registerable CT110 from honda. Auspost imports them all and ADR's them then auctions them off at 5 years/30,000kms whichever comes first. In sydney they're sold at pickles bankstown 30-50 bikes at a time and you used to be able to get a half decent one for 700-1000. lately they're 1500+. Auspost has stopped importing CT110s and replaced them with furo green honda cubs, so as the last of the posties get sold off there will be no more, this is the end of an era. It has had the effect of making them a bit more collectable and pushing the price up.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. The 125e is fine for paddock bashing with a more aggressive set of tyres thrown on it, I've seen a very similar model pulled out of a Cambodian ricefield after its rider misjudged how thin the dirt bank was and it started back up with a fuss.
    Personally I think it would be better as you have a little more ground clearance and parts are easy to come by.

I wouldn't be doing 10m jumps off it or expecting it to be a champ on technical dirt trails through. Its certainly a much wiser investment then a $1000 chinese dirt bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I reakon your nuts, if u can't afford new buy a second hand road trail
    • Agree Agree x 1