Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda Blackbird coolant?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by damosk, Sep 22, 2012.

1. It's driving me nuts trying to find some coolant.

I should probably do a flush and replace, since it's quite old anyway. So - where can I buy some cost-effectively?

I've checked Supercheap for something that might be suitable, but all cast some doubt. There are a couple of dealerships that charge RRP. Does anyone know where I can buy some mail-order, or locally, in Sydney? And maybe some distilled water as well?

It's a Honda Blackbird, so I need the special non-silicate 50:50 stuff.

Thanks for any help!

2. Thanks jd - I saw that in Supercheap, so will go get some.
  3. As a Blackbird owner (2000 model) I'm interested in this.

As far as I'm aware, the previous owner hasn't changed it. And I haven't changed it either. Bike's done 60,000km now and shows no signs of elevated operating temperatures.

So, I wonder what the criteria is to change it and why.
  4. Usually it's because the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant have been depleted, so if you keep using it corrosion of the cooling system components will start to become progressively more severe (anti freeze and anti boil additives also break down over time)

A crude method of testing this is to stick one probe from a multimeter in the radiator (touching only the coolant, not the sides), and the other to earth. If you get any noticeable voltage reading (ie over 0.1-0.2 of a volt) then you definitely need new coolant.
  5. jd, how is a voltage generated doing that? Do you mean perhaps to measure resistance?
  6. Voltage is generated by corrosion.
    Resistance is only a measure of ions in solution, and not all of those are harmful.
    • Informative Informative x 1