Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda Australia speaks out on motorcycle issues.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, May 22, 2006.

1. I received a copy of this letter to Mr Bracks from Honda Australia Managing Director Stuart Strickland.

It went out earlier today with an accompanying media release.

2. I must say that it is great to finally see someone from the Motorcycle Industry come out and make such a public statement. While the VACC has done some groundwork, for a Company like Honda to actually come out and make a public statement like this is quite a courageous act.

Rest assured people - there is a lot more water to flow under the bridge..... :grin: :grin: :grin:
  3. All of which I am in favour. But lets not say stuff that might somehow imply cyclists are less legitimate road users. That would alienate me and I am totally on side. Protest and I am there. We need to unite cos we are all on two wheels. Not that it was really implying that but us Kat owning cyclists are a sensitive lot. Its the lycra :)
  4. At last someone from a motorcycle company speaks out...on behalf of scooters, which have only just started to gain popularity because traffic congestion is getting so bad in Australian cities.

There are going to be more two wheeled parking areas around Sydney I hear...because of the amount of business people now using scooters to commute around the city.

While I applaud Mr Strickland for his stand on two wheeled transport in response to Governmenet ignorance I have to ask...where were suggestions like this from the motorcycle manufacturers for the last few decades on behalf of motorcyclists?

All of a sudden people have started to point out the benefits of scooters...why do I feel motorcyclists are still being overlooked?

Note the implied safety of 50cc scooters, low power, fuel efficent, enviromentally friendly.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Mr Strickland's letter, I just see it as a case of too little, too late.

My first bike was a Honda CB 125, had all the advantages of a small scooter with a bit more power.
    I wasn't classed as a small, safe, fuel efficent rider person.
    I was either a temporary Australian or a bloody motorcycle hooligan.

I'm just a little cynical that now white collar workers are buzzing around our major cities on scooters, that all of a sudden two wheels are "accepted" are an " alternative" are " user friendly".

Where was all this for those of us who have been carrying the flag of two wheels for the last few decades?
  5. Having ridden 50cc mopeds and scooters, it's a scary thought, especially when given to 16 year olds.

They are so underpowered as to be dangerous, are pressured to take the nearside kerb position in traffic (which is the danger location), struggle to maintain any speed, splutter to a halt on small inclines...

I'd prefer that rather than 50cc scooters and mopeds, the industry and gov't promoted smaller motorcycles as the answer, coupled with some form of training. Maybe a hybrid licence, less tortuous than a full bike licence, but more than an addition to the current car licence.
  6. Funnily enough it actually crossed this release which went out this afternoon...

7. In an earlier thread on scooter safety, somebody (Mouth?), looked up the stats for their state, and the last scooter fatality was in the 1960's! Seems pretty safe to me.
  8. Coming from the UK where 50cc was the max limit for 16-17yo's and 17yo + were allowed to ride 125cc bikes, I have experience in the relative merits of scooters and mopeds.

Do you think that the main reason for the lack of accidents is a law that allows people to ride up to 260cc bikes? How many 50cc bikes are registered? Why would you buy a 50cc moped if you can have a 250cc megabike?

Secondly, having spent over year riding the things, they are woefully underpowered in anything other than city environments. 3hp does that to you!

My only concern is that if lots of people start using them with little or no formal training, lots of people will start dying. And if people start dying, then the pollies are going to want to start protecting us from ourselves again.

Surely it would be better to promote medium powered scooters (say 100cc and above) coupled with some bike lane use and affordable registration and insurance schemes in conjunction with training?

Edited for tone...Sorry!
  9. Or does it indicate that scooters are listed in the stats as motorcycles?
  10. I don't want to get into a bun-fight on this, but here in WA the vast majority of 50cc scooters are ridden on a car licence, with no 2 wheel training at all, and I can't remember a single scooter fatality. I agree with your point about unsuitability for riding outside the city, and having ridden in the UK myself, I can see how people might be tempted to do so there given the short distances between towns. But here it is just not remotely practical to travel our distances on a 50cc scooter, so I suspect that not many try. The whole point of the letter was the advantages in an urban environment, and those I believe are self evident.
  11. I think it was my post...

I know I did post something on that subject. I don't have the details to hand but because they don't need licences the results were available separately and it was (I think) 1968.

Qld said that the figures were "insignificant" for both serious injuries and fatalities

12. Nice of Honda to finally speak up...hopefully it will drag the other mfrs into speaking up also. After all..it IS their industry, and they stand to benefit from anything that promotes motorcycles of any kind.

I wish though, that there had been a little less focus on the under 50cc bracket and a lot more on just 2 wheeled transport in general...I mean, why segregate?

It does seem though, that there is more and more momentum gathering in that more people are beginning to speak out about the subject. Poeple in positions of some influence, I mean.

So...Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and the rest of you mfrs...what have you got to say, eh?!

Oh...and from what I've seen...these piddling little 50cc jobs are a bit dangerous by being too underpowered for regular traffic speeds IMHO. No one has died riding one because you could bloody near get off and run faster!
  13. The reason for their reluctance is probably best expressed in this email from Stuart

14. Great post Tony, this government only seems to listen to poeple / organisations with lots of money (usually insurance companies and property developers), hopefully they will take note when honda raise their hand to speak.

/egiste feels incouraged !!
  15. Those of you who think that in 50/60km/h areas 50cc scooters are "underpowered and dangerous" have:

1. never ridden one (take note riders of fjr1300 and 1000rr's
    2. take no note of comparate research overseas where riders can start on these things at the age of 13.
    3. The effect of large numbers of these things on urban roads when registration, road rules and licensing changes result in a sales boom.

People on 50cc scooters can get up to speed faster than i can on an 1150cc bike fer crissakes.
  16. Inci, didn't want to jump down your throat, apologies if done so.

Scooters and mopeds scare me. As regards distances people travel, they are no more here than in good old blighty. All the commuting distances in the Eastern states (at least) are comparable or less than what I used to do in the UK. Simply, once out of the CBD, then traffic speeds and flows are quite fast and it would be impractical to try to discourage them from suburbs etc...And that is where I see a problem.

Either way, it's good that the manufacturers are starting to make a noise and bemoaning the transport strategy document released by Bracks last week. Which I am led to believe contained no references to bikes (the powered kind).
  17. Hey, I rode one for over a year!!! Don't you read the post or do you just flame away?

And the problem isn't in 50/60kmh areas. It's the moment the scooter gets out of that environment that is the problem. And that means they are practically limited to the CBD.

Sheez, all I am saying is that the manufacturers are trying to target a market sector to sell more bikes (fair enough). They are saying, hey, wouldn't it be great if car licence holders could ride a 50cc scooter with little or no training...Wouldn't it be better if they instead started lobbying gov't for an overall strategy that included motorcycles of ALL shapes and sizes, rather than just one market segment?
  18. what have you to say about points 2 and 3 then! My reply was considered and did not point soley at you my dear cj. They are points that crop up all over the world when these discussions take place, and many people keep coming back to the slow and dangerous when they have either ridden alone in high speed zones because the local rules mean't no-one else had the incentive to ride small bikes or they've come from 250cc bikes that have the ability to get to 110 or thereabouts and automatically assume that 50km/h is no good despite the fact that by and large they will not be used outside areas that have this speed limit anyway - and at non peak hour times i might add!

Do you think speed limits in this country are ever going to go up again? Now what about in cities and suburbs?
  19. When I was riding the things in the UK, the accident rates were extreme. There was no formal training, no requirement to take any additional licence tests. You just got your licence and rode. If you survived, you did well, learned lots and either went onto a bigger bike, or got a car. Unfortunately lots of people never got past those stages. The issues were, as I remember it:

Lack of power (inability to flow with traffic)
    Lack of training
    Age of riders (skill + maturity)
    Lack of bike 'presence' - tended to get pushed or bullied by other road users.
  20. The fatality was in 1969 in South Australia.... I wonder why :p