Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Honda 2008 Fireblade burning too much oil for many...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by toast, Jun 17, 2008.

1. There is a lot of discussion going on overseas about a problem with the new 2008 Honda Fireblade... more and more people are finding that their bikes are using lots of oil - way more than they should.

...Try two litres in 1000 miles!

Apparently Honda are specifying 10w30 oil, and not just any 10w30 oil will do...
    http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1156291#post1156291

Anyway, Honda is apparently looking into the problem.

2. Interesting, let's keep an eye on it here - not that I know anyone who owns one of these yet.

3. And there are more problems being uncovered, like the scratching that is occurring on the tank and the exhaust pipe becoming discoloured on the black section. Not to mention one guy having his for five days and then experiencing a problem only to have the dealer replace it completely.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/64338-2008-blade-poor-finish.html
    http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/63764-2008-owners-paint-problems-favor.html
    http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/63327-08-fireblade-owners-please-read.html
    http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/65306-fireblade-2008-oil.html

I have had my heart on getting one of these when I come off my Ps in nine months... but at the rate things are going, I'm not so sure. But, I'm an optimist and this is a Honda, after all...

Then again, all these complaints are coming from the Poms :LOL:

4. mmm.. we'll have to wait and see what happens here..

obviously, they have sold many more Blades than in Aus and there are obviously going to be some who have problems..

as for leathers rubbing clear coat off... farking hell.. rub any surface with leather for a little while and watch the paint come off..

5. One of the guys just recently updated his post on Fireblades.org:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/65306-fireblade-2008-oil.html#post693396

6. well there's ya problem, tiger, a brand new tight motor needs more that 1,000 miles on it before you go playing Rossi round Nurburgring, or race it at Croft :roll:.

7. Interesting ... I did a service on one of these the other day and the oil specification was very specific. Strict on the grade of oil as well. I thought this was due to the slipper clutch but perhaps honda are having a few problems with the bike.
    But Honda will sort it out ... trusty honda xx there is hope for your fireblade dream yet I reackon ...

8. just get a suzuki! :p :LOL:

9. I spoke with my regional rep last week and Honda Aus. know nothing of this issue..
    I also spoke with my workshop manager and he mentioned the bores are coated with the same material as the CRF dirtbikes.. Nikasel IIRC.. and mentioned they are known to glaze bores if they are babied.. just like old 2 strokes used to foul plugs if they werent ridden hard..

Perhaps this is the case.. blokes using their bikes for commuting and glazing the bores causing slight oil consumption issues..

But.. as with anything you read on the internet.. it must be taken with a grain of salt.. I am sure there have been many hundreds of Blades sold in US and Europe with a handfull complaining of oil usage..

10. This is true could've just been an issue with the crap they probably put into the blades not the actual bike itself. sounds more likely - and most of the time no one wants to admit its their mistake so just blame the makers not the users...

11. It seems everyone on that forum had one thing in common ,They changed there own oil ..HMMMmmmm
    It doesnt seem like any Honda dealers in Australia have had problems not that there's many out there yet...But if what there raving about in the mags is true then there going to sell shit loads ..I haven't heard a bad report apart from the looks department i don't think it could ever grow on you but if it rides that smoothly then a blind eye could be easily turned ...Just park it next to the new fared buell and it bond to look better :LOL:

12. Engine will be well run in by 1000 miles. The gearbox might still be shedding metal at this point but the actual engine will be sweet.

With most new engines how they are ridden right from the beginning is critical and if they use fully synthetic oil then the rings not going to bed in and then the oil consumption starts. A mineral oil needs to be used for the first 500-1000klms and a good flogging is what it takes to seat the rings properly. The days of tootling around being afraid to rev the new engine have well and truly gone imo.

Honda will have this problem fixed quicker than anyone can clean up a fart thats gone wrong......... :p

13. No news in Australia about this problem yet....And a new engine is run in in a lot less than 1000km try 500km ,But if you listen to the old farts we would all have our engines out and sitting in a padock for 12mths to let the machined metal relax after machining like Chev used to do ...If anyone that buys a modern bike runs them in slow and easy ,theres going to be a lot of underpowered ,glazed over, never hit the rev limiter bikes getting around ..Second hand buyer beware I say..

14. Wow " I flogged a new engine mercilessly within hours of owning it, and now it's fcuked"
    Nothing to see here.

Regards, Andrew.

15. Paul, 1 year ago I would have agreed with you (even though I knew racing engines don't get a "normal" run-in.)

However, I suggest you read motorman's excellent series on running in modern engines hard, to bed the rings in quickly.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It's done in just 3 dyno runs , or several through-the-gears runs on the road, using mineral oil. You then change back to synth.

His photographic evidence is overwhelming. It changed my thinking in the couple of days I took to digest his articles. In particular I recommend his last article (No 24) which shows why plain bearings used in engines are not at all damaged by this hard run-in process. Once again his photos of racing engines after 2 seasons untouched are unbeatable.

Cheers

Trevor G

PS In contrast, he has pictures of pistons from engines which were strictly run-in according to the manufacturers' methods showing excessive blowby and heat stress.

PPS I will be picking up a new Citroen C4 diesel car this week (I hope) and will be doing just the same to this $35,000+ vehicle.

16. Try 5 to 50 km if it's the most important piston ring/cylinder contact point.

I don't think the cylinders glaze as much as the rings never assume the correct shape, to actually match the circumference of the cylinder, and thus allow blowby.

But I am agreeing with you in principle... ;-)

Cheers

Trevor G

17. That would be a kawaka problem no amount of running in will fix that ,it came out of the factory F*#ked .... :-#

18. I agree 5-50 but try explaining that to the old fashioned :LOL: The hard run in method has a lot going for it I was very skeptical at first but I done it myself with the 07 blade and Im converted ,and 90% of modern Mechanics approve it ,

19. The only reason ive been holding back on upgrading to the new Fireblade is this Oil issue. We just dont know if we gonna get the flawed one. Im sure its not how it was run-in as I knew 2 owners in Sydney with the same problem, yet they run it in differently.

Ive ridden one at E-Creek on the HRCA trackday last Dec and the motor was awesome. Shame 'bout this. I know Honda will stand behind their products by changin piston rings etc. But thats too much mocking around on a brand-new bike, id want a new engine/ new bike. I'll wait for the 2011/2012 production maybe when theyve fully-sorted this out :cry:

20. most new engines that suffer oil consumption issues are usually run in incorrectly... be it too soft and not bedding in the rings, and/or using synthetic oil during the break in phase.

the hard run in method is the best for a new, modern engine. i've run in several motors of recent using this method, and no oil consumption issues, and all the motors are making good, strong power.

i bet all the demo 08 blades don't have oil issues, since they've been flogged from the first km!