Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

homologation of riding technique

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by abvc, Sep 11, 2009.

1. True

2. False

0 vote(s)
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
  1. there are not many advance rider training around, and many riders read the same reputable riding technique books. hence there is a 'homologation of riding technique' in the rider community.

what do you guys think?

2. On this forum alone for corner entry alone, there are two very distinct schools of thought. On how to position, what to do with brakes and so on. So there is still a lot of room for debate within the rider knowledge base.
    There are many more things that are “Known†instead of “Assumed†in rider knowledge now than 20 years ago, but I think there is still a long way to go.
  3. I'm with FL. Apart from the generic "don't fall off" concept, there's a very diverse approach to riding techniques.

I've stopped visiting the New Riders forum just so I don't accidentally stumble onto one of the over technical arguments that spring up there.
  4. Also different bikes and road (conditions) need to be ridden in different ways to get the best out of them. Different riders are more comfortable riding with certain styles. Rider background (road Vs dirt) may also influence style.
  5. I'm always interested in hearing of a different technique or approach to riding, particularly if the rider is making it work for them.
    If I stop listening I've stopped learning, and I don't believe you can ever stop learning in this game.

Mind you, as soon as someone says "there is only one way" I tend to stop listening. You only have to watch the different styles of riding at the pointy end of racing to see theres different ways to skin a tyre.

Of course, if you're being fed from the same circle of influence, then you're likely to hear the same stuff being regurgitated.
  6. Plenty of committed riders don't bother with the courses or the books, and yet spend plenty of time riding, so no. And for all the reasons mentioned and more.
  7. Supoib and 1+. Out here in the country, on my piece of shism if I chose the cornering line often recommended I'd have fathered three koalas, two kookaburras and a kangaroo by now :shock:
  8. surely many hazards on the road that assuming there is no hazard is a dangerous practice :grin:
  9. But there is only one way to corner :p , and that is what best suites you, your style and type of bike.

When swapping from the VTR1000 to the 1100 Virago was a classic example, I had to constantly remind myself... "hey dcik brain .. cruiser not sport .. this one don't take the corners as well :shock: :LOL: "

I even had a smart arse on the back commenting " you trying to remove my pegs again ? AND STAY ON THE SEAT !!! " :rofl:
  10. Good post!
  11. This is interesting, I'm actively refining my riding style at the moment. Basically, getting some more confidence has allowed me to push my limits a bit more. Longer trips and opportunities to ride have also helped, gives me more time and perspective to find out 'what works' for myself and my bike.

The way I see it, most people develop their own style and boundaries. Thats what I'm doing, haven't stopped yet, or come close. I don't particularly like advising others on how to ride, but will suggest something if it needs to be (eg: rider not leaning in corners). That said, I'm still a h3lla n3wb. :LOL:

Plus one on the conscientious listening, and everyone riding their own way.

- boingk
  12. The only way you can get past Cheffie, is if he lets you! :p
  13. The advanced riding books of recent times are more in line with motorcycle technology and less about riding tips... so it's no surprise they're all starting to converge.
  14. the reputable riding technique books differ.

Pridmore-bodysteering. Code-counter steering.

Hough-brake before every corner. Ienatsch (and others) no braking for corners if possible. (only on the road of course)

HART teaches 4 finger braking. most others teach 2 finger.
  15. Twistngo, you might be slightly to one side of the point. There might be differences in fine points, but all the reputable techniques are about working WITH the motorcycle and getting out of it's way. You seem to be making a case that your examples are mutually exclusive. They're not.

In regards to Pridmore versus KC:

Code would disagree with the "countersteering may" bit and the rotating the body round the tank bit and would certainly argue against body steering having any effect, but from a purer physics point of view, otherwise, they'd agree and both are about working with the bike and being smooth.

Not sure 2 fingers v's 4 fingers is a mutually exclusive technique.

Braking into corners has it's place and its philosophy. Getting braking done before corners has it's place and its philosophy too. Neither are mutually exclusive. Both work with the physics of a bike. Sometimes it's better to use one over the other. *shrug*
  16. Do you mean "homogenization"?
  17. ...Or in any other game for that matter.

Very good point.