Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Homework help - anyone ever microwaved a book?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by I Adore Vic, Sep 12, 2007.

  1. Hey all. Bit of a weird question but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what could happen to a book if you put it in the microwave for a little while? Will it burn??? :grin: :grin:

  2. ha..tis cool..Conservation dist list is my friend :wink:

  3. leather school shoes don't fair too well in the microwave either :?
    My mum found that out the hard way, trying to dry my bro's new shoes so my dad wouldn't see that he had worn them down the creek :eek:
    They curled up like bent bananas and the opening for the foot shrunk to about an inch...lol.
    Then the silly woman hid them in the cupboard, til one day I was hunting about and found them, produced them with a weird look on my face and asked what they were, infront of my dad too :p
  4. try a cd in the microwave. Place it label side down and set the timer for 2 seconds.

    Watch in awe at the pretty colors, but dont blink or you will mis it. They make great coasters arfterwards too.
  5. #5 undii, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

  6. cd's set of a wonderful light show, in the mircowave.....ah thing that happen at seany's parties :LOL:
  7. Lightglobes are fun to put in the microwave :wink: .
    (That's the normal incandescent type, not fluoros).
  8. Hey there Rosie you lead one very extraordinary life, you make for some very interesting reads at the moment :LOL: keep it up you can always bring a smile on at a time of need. :dance:
  9. CD's are great :)

    As for books, in your quote i can understand the books were wet, and doing a simple test can tell us that a microwave will affect moisture (and metal, but thats a diff thing), get 2 mugs, 1 with water and 1 without and zap them... one will heat up, the other will get slightly warm.
    Thus, since the books were wet they would have been effected more because of that extra moisture, however a dry book would all depend on what chemicals were used to print the text and pics, and what the covers were made off.

    Anyone a lab tech care to comment?
  10. OK, I used to share a house (30+ years ago) with an art conservator and I picked up a bit from him. I also did a paper conservation course years ago when I was involve with the National Trust..

    Probably a bad idea but it depends on the book, the paper composition and the nature of the binding. Some inks have a metallic element which won't help.

    It also depends on the age of the book and the value - why bother if it's a cheap paperback. It also depends on whether you are worried about stains.

    Best way is to put freezer paper between the leaves of the book, freeze it and then freeze dry. Only viable if you have access to freeze drying facilities though.

    If you just want to straighten the pages that have dried and crumpled, get some acid free blotting paper (find a specialist art place or look on the web) and place it between the lightly moistened pages and (very) lightly weight the book and leave it over night. That may help.

    Acid free is important. You can also conserve newspaper articles the same way. wash them flat in a tray and dry carefully pressed between acid free blotting paper.
  11. um wet get warm, dry stay same. Let it get too warm and burn. Thanks you class you may return to your crayon drawings. :wink:
  12. If I remember correctly, microwaves affect water molecules; making them vibrate (i.e. heat up). The more water content something has, the better it heats up.

    Metallic things reflect the microwave I think (like foil and stuff) and probably does something to the wavelengths to make 'em visible.. therefore the lightshow.
  13. Actually to do with the fact the microwaves cause the free electrons in metal to concentrate which then causes an electrical charge in the air around it (hence the sparks). This is also why metal with lots of "points" (like scrunched up aluminium foil) will spark more than something more rounded (like a spoon). The danger of course is if these sparks make contact with the wall of the oven, as this damages the magnetron (the thing that makes the microwaves).
  14. There ya go. Physics wasn't my strong point in uni :) Only just passed.