Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Home LAN/Wireless Help!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Doggy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Ok I took the plunge and bought myself a laptop and a modem/router so I can be a complete couch potato! Any way I have one desktop PC hardwired to the router and one laptop connecting via wireless.
    I unpacked everything and started fiddiling (could be the problem right there!). Had initial problems trying to figure out settings etc but then it seemed to work.......But!

Internet drops out regularly on hardwired PC. I used to leave it connected for days when using the old modem. But now I have to restart the router when it drops out.

Wireless connection to laptop is dodgy. It finds the link easily but comes up "limited conectivity" blah blah and won't work.

This morning Nortons AV (Came with it) has a DLL/Debugger error and wants to be uninstalled.

Arrrrrgggghhhh $&^%^$, &%###%^, *^$$%&, %$%^kn Computers!

I'm tempted to get rid of all LAN settings etc and start all over again. How do I do this? Although routers dropping the internet seems to be a common problem when searched for on the net.

I do use a peer to peer file sharing program but have never had trouble with it before. But I am getting a lot of NAT errors etc now.

The modem / router is a Belkin F5D7633au4A ADSL2+ Wireless G

Anyone got a step by step guide to set up this type of thing without the use of mind altering drugs? :wink:
  2. The 'limited or no connectivity' error means that the router and wireless card are connecting physically, but not logically, i.e the wireless carrier is being detected but no data passed. It probably means the router is not giving the system an IP address because the SSD or WEP key are wrong. Try removing all security from the wireless link, i.e. no wep key required. If this works, it is then a matter of setting up the connection security parameters again.