Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Home job respray

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by CharlieBrown, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Hey guys, after being qouted up to $350 a fairing for a respray I thought I'd look into doing it myself. Has anybody attempted to try this at home? I don't have a spray gun but with holidays coming up I'll have plenty of time!

2. What kind of bike? Sometimes the fairings are cheaper to buy new or from a wreckers.
  3. ZZR250, ive got some new fairings for it already, unfortunatly the top fairngs are all fiberglass but only paid $250 for the whole set. Little more than I needed but can always sell off the rest.
  4. tat ta ra ra ra

wrote a a guide a few months ago

I u wana save money get some paint matched in acrylic and use a brush.
    350 will cover paint supplies and a cheop spray gun if u want to do it properly
  5. Thanks Zbike thats exactly what I needed. Tried out the actetone repair I mentioned in my other thread and it worked out a treat. Used it on the front fairing (the one that sits between the left and right bolow the headlight). A piece had clean snapped off.

Stuck them together by painting down the ends of both peices with the acetone and that got them sticking togather. Then I got shavings of ABS plastic, using a cheese grater but no need to mention that to the housemates :grin: , and disolved it into some more acetone. This made a putty which i used to fill the gaps and give a bit more strength to it.

Was a bit soft at first but by the next day it seemed to be as good as gold! Stocked, really easy and now know I can do it for next time!
  6. cool. glad to know it works,

I i prefer welding but for DIY the acteone stuff would be the shiz.

Post up what u pink of the guide and if u got any Q's