Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Home insurance - recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bluesuede, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Hey all,

Well its home insurance and house and contents insurance renewal time again for me. About to start ringing around for some other quotes to see about changing provider as I have to replace the existing policy anyway - so I thought I'd see what the competition was like.

I figured that perhaps I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had any recommendations for insurance providers, and positive/negative experiences that they'd like to share.

Thanks for your input!
  2. I've always moved my home and contents insurance wherever my car insurance is to get a discount.

I've never made a home claim, but I've had two total loss claims and one vandalism claim on cars in the past three years with AAMI and it's all been very easy.
  3. It's amazing how people can have such varied experiences from the same company(ies). For example, with AAMI 2 very close friends had nightmare experiences with them, both in the past 2-3 years. They both thoroughly warned me against AAMI (1 had car AAMI, the other home AAMI bad experiences) as I looked for home insurance a couple months ago as my contract was up with Westpac and they were extremely overpriced when I did contract pricing comparisons this year. I now use GIO for the same cover of damage/theft etc from home for just on 40% cheaper premium.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone "coughs up" with bad experiences with GIO in this thread. Having such vast coverage, these companies will of course give claims both bad + good experiences. It's more likely due to the actual people the claimant are dealing with for the claim(s) than the company "as an overall experience". It would be hard for a "nationwide" company to stay in business if _EVERY_ experience with them was negative due to the power of word of mouth.

My recommendation is to just do comparisons for claims/contracts with a few/lot of companies for your particular needs and see what is best value for $$$ for your needs.
  4. I've always been happy with the RACV, they do tend to be a tad more $$ BUT the few times i've had to claim it's been no hastles at all, which is worth a couple of extra bucks in my book.

Having said that i also have insurance through Comm bank, the $$$ are similar to RACV but they do NOT charge extra for pay by the month, however i've never claimed on the Comm bank insurance so i dont know what there service is like.
  5. Thanks guys - so far I've rung RACV and GIO and got quotes from them - RACV is actually cheaper than GIO for the same policy conditions - which I suspect is due to multi-policy discounts (building + contents + existing car) and roadside assist years of membership discount. Waiting on AMP to call me back (my original insurer) to see how they compete for the new policy details.

I've never had to make a claim in the 8 years I've been with AMP for the current house and the 11 years I was with them before that for contents alone, so I've no idea how they would compare for an actual claim.

Any other recommendations? Or any horror stories?