Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Holidays: What to do when going away and coming back from?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Zane Marx, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,

I'm a nOOb in the world of bikes and bike maintenance. I am going on holiday for a month and wanted to know what maintenace would be required on the bike before I leave and after I come back from my holiday.

I guess coming up to the christmas break it may be a good topic to touch on.

Some details that you may need, the bike in garaged and under cover when not in use. The bike is pretty new with about 4000km on the clock. the bike is a honda CB400 so no carbie and it's liquid cooled.

What are the key areas I need to be looking at?

Battery - leave connected or unplug?

Thanks in advance.

2. Quite honestly, for a month, I wouldn't do anything special. You may want to charge the battery once you bet back, but it probably won't even need that.
    Three months or more - different story.

Edit: What I WOULD do is install a bloody great big lock and ground anchor, though.
  3. I live in units so I do not have a locked up garage, only car ports. If i were going away I would probably store my bike in one of my friends' garage.

and yeah, i don't think you need to go any special maintenance just for a month.
  4. give it to someone who Doesn't know how to ride a bike!! :!:

that way when you get it back it will have 4000km's on the clock... :) not 27000km's... :mad:
  5. yeah nothing special but make sure it is not able to be stolen... if you dont have a garage take it to a mates place. and hide it also. if it cant be seen then people wont know its there to take..
  6. :grin: :grin: hahaha nice one.

7. Lock it up in your house.
    Disconnect the battery.
    Have a good holiday.
  8. Was going to suggest locking it in the house, choose a room that has least to no windows...so laundry or even just your hall way (if the house has one)

phong =P~
  9. All of the above for when your going away.

But when your coming back, expect a grin from ear to ear cos you know your gonna take her for a squirt.
  10. I'd like to introduce you to a new concept. It'll be a struggle to deal with at first but eventually you'll get the hang of these new gizmos. :)
  11. Subtle Seany strikes again.

12. Get a tarp just in case you have a leak.
  13. The bike too.
  14. Ill say leave it at mine but mine got nicked not long ago, didnt expect it too. But have now installed motion detectors and door alarm with 150db of sound in a lock up garage inside a secruity building