Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

holey Float Batman

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Netterhead1, Mar 8, 2010.

1. one of the floats in one of my carbs in my gsx750f 1993 has a hole (read "long crack along the bottom") in it . it was full of fuel. i squirted the fuel out and for the moment its good.

a replacement assembly is $100 .

any alternatives to replacement? e.g. glue it back together melt it together etc etc.

2. solder it up.
  3. findapart.com.au

Is it plastic or brass?
  4. i think it would be plastic.

if you can find some non disolvable glue then that would do the trick.

otherwise you might be able to melt it. could be tricky though
  5. Can confirm it is plastic. these 36mm Mikunis' found there way onto a number of Suzi's

Yeah I'm not sure I'd go at it with a soldering iron. You'd be lucky to get it water tight (petrol tight) and you will likely effect the way it sits on the fuel.

finding a glue that wouldn't at least soften in petrol/ethanol is not going to be easy either.
  6. Tape it?

7. How about polystyrene cement? Used in model making, it melts the plastic which then fuses together, so should be as resistant to fuel as the original part. A quick google reveals it to be butatone / methyl ethyl ketone.

Not sure what types of plastics it works on aside from styrene, or what plastic the float is, but I'd say it's worth a try.
  8. id ring around some wreckers.

im sure if theres an old 750 sitting around somewhere (or any bike with a minki36) they would give you the floats for $20 or so
  9. ISTR butanone works on ABS, which is a fairly likely candidate for a carb float. Where the hell you'd get it, though, I don't know. Maybe a model shop, as ABS is becoming more common in some types of kit.
  10. thanks heaps for the suggestions. i particularly like the model glue pastic cement idea. peter stevens had the part in their overstock so i got them to post up to sydney for me. $54 instead of $103. i will replace the float and try the plastic cement/ solder / other glue until i make the old float fuel tight. i will post back when i've fixed it up.
  11. All the best with the glue option.
  12. Composite fuel tanks are usually made with vinylester resin.