Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hmm what do you guys think of this..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by suzyq, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I have a friend who recently got his L's, he did the test at HART. His partner rides a VT750 (lovely bike). He hasn't ridden since, well maybe around the backyard, but certainly not on the roads and as he has a gold licence, rather than having to ride a 250cc bike he has booked in for a pre-provisional course and is doing his MOST test the next day I believe. The theory being he will then be able to go straight out and ride the VT750.

Me, on the other hand, and have also recently got my L's and have bought a Spada to practice on heaps before i go on to my unrestricted licence. Even then i don't think i will be ready to move to a bigger bike for a while.

Is it that easy to get your P's?? I just can't imagine with only several hours practice that you are then ready to ride a big bike on the road.. I know with the LAM's and all .. but what do you guys think is the better or safer option?

2. I dont quite understand your post but once you have your P's, you are still on power restrictions for 12 months.
  3. No different to a car licence. While you are restricted power wise as a L or P plater, you can choose not to drive/ride/practice/learn at all in the time you you are restricted and then your first drive/ride can be the day you get your full licence. Once I have my P's I don't have to ride at all, I can just wait until the 12mths are up and go out and buy myself a superbike to ride first up, it's my choice. In my opinion it wouldn't be a very smart choice, but it's still my choice.
  4. Generally larger bikes are manufactured more recently and have better safety features. A lot of 250's on the market are quite old, and IMO aren't as safe as some of the bigger bikes. Power and weight are only part of the picture - I reckon quality of brakes, tires, suspension etc are more important safetywise for beginners than just engine 'bigness' alone.
  5. I did my L's and 2 weeks later the P test, then I just went out and brought the bike I wanted (no power restrictions). I don't see a major problem as long as you are aware of your own and the bikes limitations, have good balance, coordination, are road savvy, and ease in to it without going far beyond your limitations.

I used to do a lot of long distance bicycle riding on the road, so I have the balance, coordination, and road awareness from avoiding the idiots that are even less likely too see you :evil: on a pushie.

That said I don't think I would have liked to have a 1000cc sports bike as the first bike. I did choose a bike that had a smooth power delivery (4-cylinder) over high torque (2-cylinder). Also I do commute about 400km’s a week and the occasional weekend ride :grin: so a 250 would have been a waste of money.
  6. I think it is a great idea, saves buying a 250, and at least gives choice back to the rider.

Mature Age Rider

If you are aged 30 years or over and have held an Unrestricted Driver Licence for five years with no cancellations, disqualifications or lapses of more than six months between renewals, you may proceed directly from a Learner Rider Licence to an Unrestricted Licence. However, you are still required to successfully complete the pre-learner and pre-provisional courses.

You are not required to wait three months between gaining your Learner Rider Licence and attending the pre-provisional course.
  7. Dats da one, saves a lot of hassels.
  8. I guess you guys have missed my point..

This guy has no riding experience whatsoever, well, as far as i am aware. I understand about the mature age riders rules, I am one. Its more from a safety point of view. He expects to get out on the VT750 the day after he gets his unrestricted licence and ride away. I understand legally that's fine, but .. I might add this person is not the confident type, he worries when he is a pillion and his partner leans the bike round a round-a-bout for instance. He insists that the bike should stay upright at all times..

Maybe i should have explained further.
  9. If he is over 30 years of age and has a gold licence he is allowed to go onto any bike once he has finished his pre-provisional, and gets his licence changed at the RTA.

I also fell into this bracket and had these grand ideas of doing my L's, pre-provisional then go out an buy a 750. In reality even though I had ridden trail bikes over 20 years ago. I would never have been ready to hop on a modern 750cc bike.

All these years of driving cars/trucks/APC's have given me a great abilty to read traffic, conditions, and a shit load of maturity. Something I found on my pre-provisional with the other 5 riders who were all 23 and under in age was lacking and everything the instructer taught, went in one ear and out the other.

Still the power from a bike takes a little getting used to and I would suggest to anyone, learn the basic skills on a bike first, gain some confidence, then move onto something bigger and better. Even the old POS XJ650 took a little to get used to.

Shit I sound like my old man, I bet he is turning in his grave.
  10. I would love to hear how this plan works out for your friend. It might not be so bad, actually. He already knows how to deal with the traffic, all he has to do is stay upright on his bike, take it easy... unless one day he panics and twists the throttle at the wrong time, he just might be OK!

As for going straight from L to MOST, well, MOST consists largely of rather artificial exercises in a parking lot (plus a farily short and easy observed ride on the street), so a solid day of practicing just those skills might be enough to get him through the test the next day. Will that make him safe and ready to ride on the street? Hell, no - but as long as he is aware of his limitations. he might just make it.

As I said, I'd love to hear how it works out for him!
  11. CB250 i'll let you know how he goes!

I know in theory the plan is great, but practically hmmmm.. like i said he doesn't strike me as the most confident of riders, but i guess it could be worse, it could be a R1 or something.. at least it is a cruiser!

Me, i want all the practice i can get on something that is manoevreable and something i can handle and get my confidence on. There is no substitute for experience imo!
  12. Hi Suzyq a VT750 is not so powerful and they are a cruiser. Any motorcycle can get you into trouble my first serious accident was on a TS 185 road trail bike.

At the end of the day Suzy you can only advise the guy and he will do what ever he does after that but you could mention to him the concerns you have. Personally I think he should do a advanced rider course and set some basic principles in place as if as you say he doesnt think a motorcycle should lean around corners well he is in for a shock and potentialy a disaster. Good luck!
  13. This guy is a twit! That may sound a bit harsh but honestly, anyone who is actively endeavouring to ride a motorcycle and they have that frame of mind/lack of experience are a danger to themselves and anyone else on the road.

How does he expect a motorcycle to corner without leaning over?? Has he ever ridden at motorbike at more then 5-10kp/h???
  14. He's got a lot to learn.
  15. Let's just remember one thing - he is supposed to pass a TEST to get this licence. If he isn't safe, he shouldn't pass the test. That's what it's there for. Either he learns the skills, or he doesn't get the ticket. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.
    As far as the bike goes, a VT750 isn't a fire-breathing monster. Providing he can handle the extra weight, it shouldn't be a problem.
  16. I can see both sides of this argument as I was in exactly the same boat.
    I hadn't ridden a bike for ~20years when I got my licence (again) and was able to go unrestricted once I had passed my 'P' test. The theory is really about roadcraft and the inherent road sense that us old farts are supposed to have. Maybe a bit of a generalisation but we do tend to be a bit more understanding of our own ability to self-repair and of our bullet-proof status, both having undergone numerous emperical tests and survived same. As a mature driver/rider it isn't a given that I would be immediately comfortable on a larger bike so I got a CB250 which was great for me but I did get tired of it quickly and wanted something bigger which I knew I could handle so I got my F650 which is great for me but now I think I want something bigger again! I think if I had gone out and jumped on a litre bike I probably would have kakked my daks and not got back on in a long while. I know my limits and approach them with both eyes open looking for the next adventure......If you start off big then there isn't much room to move up is there? :grin:
  17. He doesn't work for VicRoads does he... :LOL:

They had a senior person there some years ago who claimed that all motorcyclists were hoons since they leaned their bikes over to go round corners... He genuinely believed that you just steered around. :roll:

And he was in a position where he made decisions to do with motorcycling...

18. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:
  19. The story was told to me by Neil O'Keefe - Chairman of VMAC...
  20. Thats just plain scary :shock:

Cheers :cool: