Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hitting Reserve on an XV250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by tunaranch, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Hmm... Rode home the other day, and when I filled up with 8.5 litres, I had 236ks on the trip meter. By my calculations, the remaining litre in the tank should be good for around 36ks. Shouldn't I have had hit reserve now?

2. I too have a virago 250..and according to the owners manual they have a 9.5 ltr tank....I filled up tonight and it took 10.2 ltrs.....I think the servo needs to have its petrol pumps recalibrated.
    I still had about 2 ltrs in the tank when I filled up...it hadnt hit reserve yet!

I normally hit 270k's before the reseve kicks in..and the most K's I've ever done on a tank..including the reserve is 312kms, but that was in my first week of riding...now I'm fanging her everywhere I go...Im lucky to get 270 before the reserve kicks in:p

I complained to the console operator, but I doubt anything will get done about it.

3. 270k's? Impressive. I'll have to try that. Now that I have RACQ ultracare I can call for help on the bike as well, should I run out :D

I generally ride conservatively.... with the odd fanging if I have clear roads with traffic lights.

4. *me has memories of tunaranch crouched low over the handlebars, full throttle on, you can do iiiiit!* :)

5. ^^
    That was an exception :D

6. 246ks, 8.6L, no reserve.

7. Along the same line. my ZZ-r250 has an 18L tank. is that 18 plus reserve? 18 inc reserve, and how big is the reserve?

8. I usually get to around 180- 190 kms before having to switch to reserve on my xv250. when I fill up it never takes more than 7 1/2 ltrs so i havent used much in reserve. According to the manual the tank is 9 1/2 litres total (2 1/2 ltres reserve) which leaves 7 litres for main tank.
    falcon-lord your manual should tell you but usually 18litre tank means total fuel capasity.
    i average 100km per 3liters of juice, and will improve as motor wears in (only done 1,800 odd kms)

9. Thats 14litres and a 4 litre reserve the same as a GPX250

10. Ouch... Then the Pumps at the Shell on the corner of Sprinvale and Whithourse are way out, because they said I had put in 17 and a bit. And i had just switched over to reserve...

11. sounds like they are wayyy out.

I get roughly 450 km to my gpx less to the ZZR 600. same size tank for both bikes.

12. I can get about 220 before hitting reserve. I normally fill up at the 200 mark just to be safe. It usually costs about $8 to fil, around the 7l mark. I'm a big guy on a little bike though, so the rest of you should get more.

13. 257ks, 8.96L. I couldn't hear any sloshing as wiggled the bike around.

14. Wow, that's pretty good hey :)

I filled up this morning too (the SV650) - 235k's, 9.87L...

15. furthest I have gone was 270ish, after filling up, I had about just 1.5L of fuel still in the tank, could of gone 290-300 if I wanted to push the bike home.