Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Historic Motorcycle Racing question.

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by shady_knife, Jan 14, 2011.

1. http://www.hmrav.org/classes.htm

when will they update that to include newer bikes.... according to vic roads a classic bike is >25 years old (i think), so thats up to 1986 now.... so whats the go?

2. The Vic Roads requirement for classic bikes to be road registered with the classic number plates (and very cheap registration) is that they be older than 25 years.
    The HMRAV classification is based on road racing catagories (classes)
    A decision was made last year to simplify the system of allocation of bikes to classes in time groups, by ending the era on the last day of the year ending in "O", starting with period 5. Hence......
    PERIOD 5 FORGOTTEN ERA - 1st January 1973 to 31st December 1980
    Period 6 is now a racing class and that is for bikes manufactured between 1st January 1981 to 31st December 1990.
    In the future period 7 as a racing class will come into existance.

3. so basically the site is out of date? was just curious thats all.

4. Vic Roads....relates to the "Club Permit" scheme which changes in Feb 2011 to allow use of "Classic & Historic vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit." What the new permit scheme does is allow you to register 25+ y.o vehicles for use on the ROAD for either 45 or 90 days per year recorded by log book.......ie I am looking at buying a KR250 or KR-1 and restoring it then maybe using it occassionally for "club and recreational" activities. I can register it under the 'club permit' registration much cheaper than full normal rego.

HMRAV = is "Historic Road Racing". Racing is governed by the "2011 Manual of Motorcycle Sport" and the classes as published on the HMRAV website are as per the 2010 rule book.

You can find all the 2011 rules here, http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=142, specifically chapter 16 is what you are looking for. The new period 6 class even has a spot for me...."period 6 250 production"....ahh the good old days of 250 2 stroke proddy racing...=D>

5. so,if that was done, you may have some very, very stiff competition in that class Mike! Road racers who rode in that class and are still active in the sport today, that I can recall, include.....
    Michael Dowson,Graeme Morris, Geoff Winzer,Wayne Clark,Peter Galvin,Michael Doohan. Buster Saunders,Sean Gallagher, David Horton,Rick Heffernen,Russell Malley, Trevor Manley,Graham Laing,Rob Miller,Grant Hodson,Peter White,Michael Haisman,Allan Clyne,John Chiodo,Gary Crilly,Miker Maloney,Tony Hinton,Tony White,Robert Holden,Chris Bryson,Kevin Magee,Bernie Hatton, Ken Wootten,Glen Middlemiss,Hamish Mc Nicol,Bernie Summers,David Moore....and I recall my younger brother started off his racing career on a 250cc Yamaha proddy bike in 1980.

6. Robert Holden was killed at the IOM in '96 :(