Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hiring a Bike in NZ

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Hiring a Bike in NZ: any experience?

I'm popping over to NZ (south isle) to join my family on their holiday for about 4 days in summer. My arrival will mean that we need to hire a second car. Bugger that I say, I want to ride. Has anyone had any experiences hiring a bike in NZ? Does anyone know the legalities regarding bike and gear hire, (age, licensing, etc) and approximate cost?

cheers.

Not sure if this should be here or in touring...

2. Re: Hiring a Bike in NZ: any experience?

Generally you can ride what you are legally allowed to ride here. I am sure google can help you with prices.

Be careful to make sure that you buy travel insurance that covers motorcycling for the bike you are riding. Some only cover up to 200cc.

3. So far I've only found one group that do allow for an under 25 rider. And they limit to a 600 (ie a honda shadow 600) for 21-25. better than nothing I guess.

4. Yep, just moved over from NZ a month ago. You have to have a full motorbike licence or the rental place won't rent you a bike, and you need to have a helmet.....other than that, you'll be good to go. Bike rental prices vary, but the places I have seen, they are quite a bit more expensive than car rentals.

It's a good idea to get some kind of insurance, but that's really anywhere in the world.

That being said, NZ is an awesome place to ride....as long as you manage to avoid the gale force winds and constant rain. In summer you should be ok.

5. Trying to find the details of a place in Christchurch I used*. A few years ago now but a very good range of bikes. Far more expensive than a car, though not quite as bad as Oz. Yo're looking around 150 bucks a day for an SV650, for example.
    It's no way cost effective so you need to be spending a good percentage of your time riding to make it worthwhile. But when the sun shines they are the best roads in the world (except Canterbury plains). What areas you are you going to be in?

*TE WAIPOUNAMU MOTORCYCLE TOURS LTD
    Had no problems.

(Watch out for the goddamn Keas. They'll tear your seat to pieces!)

6. When I was there in Feb last year, I was going to use these guys: http://www.nzbike.com/web/

It didn't eventuate, but they were good to deal with via email.

At that stage*, they DID rent 250s to provisional licence holders, they would allow you to hire for one day, they provided gear if necessary, and you were limited to 350 kays a day, with each km over charged @ .30NZD. Not sure on prices, though the website might give you an idea.

You can hire from Auckland and Christchurch.

* this may have changed though.

HTH.

7. cheers mate will look them up. going to be around queenstown, milford sound. spending two days at the sound so wont be riding then. plan return route via the west coast for 2 days. So three days riding out of 5, probably about 1500 k's. hopefully can get folks to pitch in a bit for the cost (they are taking rest of family and my arrival would mean hiring a second car anyway).

I assume keas are some sort of bird?

8.  Top
  9. Yes, it is. I only saw this thread today. Previous posts have already answered your questions. Bike rental does seem to be quite expensive over here. I'll dig out a few e-mails later that I did for German friends that may be coming down later this year. If you have a full license you should be ok. Pity you won't be in the Auckland region, could have gone on a ride or 2.

10. Yep, a Kea is an apline Parrot, see em only in the South Island, and they have wickedly sharp beaks which they love to use to destroy stuff by chewing it to bits. Most notably, rubber around windscreens, bike seats, that type of stuff.

11. No problems riding in NZ with Australian motorbike licence.

I used Te Waipounamu Motorcycle Tours http://www.nzmotorcyclerentals.com/

Cost was about $125 a day for a BMF F 650 GS. Might have even been more.

+1 for checking your insurance. Also check T&C's from rental company. For example I was not covered if I went off tarmac roads.

Enjoy, I'm massively jealous :)

12. Hire a nunja

13. Here's YouTube a link to a Melbourne rider who just got back from a NZ motorcycle holiday.
    He hired the bike and did a great job videoing his holiday with a helmet cam.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/chochi70

I thing you should be able to contact him with questions. Worth clicking on his uploads and seeing some of the amazing roads NZ has to offer.

14. Beautiful ain't it? :D

That's Lake Tekapo Halfway between Christchurch and Queenstown, most of the South Island offers views like that. Most of the lakes in the SI are turquoise blue too because they're glacial water.

It's funny, when I was living in NZ, I was hankering for some long straight highways.

Grass is always greener huh?

15. Amazing and creates a bad itch as far as wanting to go there.
    Loved the clip along the ocean which is like our Great Ocean Road but probably more of it.

16.  Top
  17. The youtube link was great. It took me back 20 years to when I travelled those roads in a cage on my honeymoon.

If I were rolling in it I'd be looking at the Goldwing ... What a way to go.