Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hiring a bike for MOST?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Meko, Aug 29, 2015.

  1. I bought a 200 kg bike 5 weeks ago. I had a 140kg bike almost 20 years ago so I wanted a challenge. I went to the Homebush learner's practice today and had trouble with the u turn and cones. I know I need to work on my throttle and clutch control for slow speed, I don't worry so much about leaning, and I've got the back brake.

    I have 6 months to learn, or I have to start again. Some say just hire the CB's for the test but I don't feel right about that. Anyone can ride fast but the skills show in the slow speed stuff. I don't want to ride the bike if I don't have the skill. What do you think?

  2. no, it's not wrong.. it's just easier
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. The test is stupid anyway. For a million bucks I could never get my night rod through those cones. Just Hire a bike
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Apparently the MOST is quite a bit more difficult on a few bikes ie hyosung 650, a lot of people rent the cb125's to do their test on. Get it done so you don't have to redo it. It's a breeze on the 125's...
  5. no one is going to congratulate you on using your own bike instead of a hire bike. it seriously doesnt matter. what works > what doesnt
  6. I don't think it's wrong to hire a lighter motorcycle for the MOST. You're aiming to achieve a licensing requirement in the end. Was today's session the first time you practiced things like the offset cone weave and U-turn?

    Your approach to be able to maneuvre your motorcycle at low speed is good. You have six months to practice the aspects of the MOST that you currently find difficult on your own motorcycle. That's a lot of Saturday morning practice sessions at Homebush!

    Other forum members (including myself) have also used a measuring tape and half-tennis balls to mark out things like the offset cone weave, U-turn and swerve test in an empty parking lot or similar for independent (and low pressure) practice too.

    If you find that it is still problematic on your motorcycle when you book your MOST you can also book one of the CB125e's for the day.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Use what ever is easier for you to pass. :]

    Wrong would be using your own bike and failing just to prove a point that no one will care about.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thanks for the great responses everyone. No, I don't expect congratulations, but I want my own approval, and yes to prove something to myself. I live 5 mins from the Learner's practice place at Homebush so I'm lucky I have that place, another big car park and quiet roads to practice on.

    So I will keep wearing out that back brake and clutch, and i won't feel bad if I decide to hire a bike.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Hi Meko i think to pass your MOST test by hiring a CB125 would not be a bad thing, at the end of the day you just want to pass the course and get your P's
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The CB125E was my learner bike (which I am about to sell). My goal was to upgrade after I got my Ps. Yeah, it will feel crap if you don't do all the MOST tasks perfectly, I still can't do a U-turn in the box (according to Penrith training centre) on the 125. But, there's no reason why that getting your Ps has to mean that the learning stops. With any bike, it takes time getting used to it. You could pass the test on the little bike and still keep practicing on your bigger bike :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I can do it on my 320kg BMW, the cones and the U-turn. It does come with practice and experience, and no doubt if practiced enough, you could do it too.
    I'll correct you on one front, and that is skills shows in both slow and fast riding situations. Slow, yes the balance of controls and the bike itself, but in the fast stuff, the forces put on the bike, how to manoeuvre that weight more quickly and how/when to apply the right amount of brakes and throttle. Skill is needed in both.

    With regard to hiring the bike, it's common because it is often easier to pass. If you meet the requisite standard on your own bike, but would feel more confident on the hire bike, then just do it.
  12. Pass the test, and a day later you won't give a toss what bike you did it on.

    If it really keeps bothering you, go back to Homebush in a couple of years and run the practice course with your grown-up bike. It'll prove everything you need to prove, without the additional (and unnecessary) pressure of risking a re-test.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yesss I'm liking this, nobody thinks it's wrong. So why doesn't it feel right? It's not like I'll be facing a herd of elephants. And I totally agree that it's just a piece of paper and still the beginning of learning, rather than the end.
  14. Because it's not your bike and it might feel like you're cheating? :p

    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ?

    in vic, when I got my P's you could use your own bike but it was recommended that you don't. if you drop it, you're stuffed - it's offroad :D.

    the cb125's are so much fun, just ride that
  16. It is only wrong to hire an "easier" bike for the test if you believe that once you have passed you don't need to further develop your skills.

    The MOST test is only one step in learning to ride, don't see it as being particularly significant. Most people who pass are in no way accomplished or safe road riders, it is but the bottom rung of a continuing process.
    Hire a bike, pass the test, and get on with your development. No need for guilt.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. the test shows different, almost irrelevant skills. Just do what you have to do to pass the test and spend the extra time it would take to practice real world skills on your bigger bike. if you have to do a three point turn or put your foot down rather than perfect car park figure 8's...who gives a fcuk?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Do the test on a bike you feel comfortable on, if your very confident handling on your bike and doing conework, emergency stops then take that.

    If your nervous than rent theirs, much better throwing theirs down the road than your shiny new bike! Just be aware it will be a unfamiliar bike on the day and will have different handling characteristics.

    Australian driving tests do not adequately prepare you for the road, don't fool yourself into thinking a licence ensures You and Others are safe skilled drivers. Practice your roadcraft, know your bike, watch some videos on youtube (ie twist of the wrist) and go on a group ride with some experienced riders. If your not comfortable riding on the road get some 1on1 lessons to build your confidence and skill.
  19. #20 oldcorollas, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    i kinda disagree that they are not at all relevant..
    tests if you can:
    stop the bike where you want to (ie stop line or at lights), and turn accurately (into driveway without hitting curb)
    have balance (cone weave), and can avoid obstacles
    can stop the bike quickly (even if only from low speed)
    can do a u-turn without making it a 3 point turn.

    all real world skills...

    they can't realistically do the tests at 60.. 1 would need heaps more runoff space.. and 2. if someone can't do it at 20k's, then a stack at 60 would be a liability nightmare :D

    as for 3 point turn.. you CAN put your foot down in the test... 3 times if you get all the other tests perfect :) and that's ok.
    in real world you might put foot down once or twice in a U-turn, but it's still better to be able to do it without feet :D

    (NSW test doesn't do figure 8's... but do you want someone on the road who doesn't have enough control of their bike to be able to do them? )

    edit: only reason to do it on your own bike is either a) save money or b) personal pride