Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hillston to Broken Hill

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by JVigar, Sep 9, 2009.

1. I'm Planning my first long trip on dirt on the Bandit. I'm really hoping that someone has traveled the Ivanhoe to Menindee section recently(and it doesn't rain). I have heard that its good gravel / clay all the way.

2. I've been getting into unsealed road riding on my road bike of late and I was looking to go to Broken Hill at the end of this month. Originally it would have involved Ivanhoe to Menindee, and then I was thinking Pooncarie to Menindee. I've never been on these roads but my sense - going be descriptions and pictures - is that you'd want some skill and need the bike to be set up such that dropping it, possibly more than once depending upon skill and suitability of bike, as ok. If dropping it is not an option and its a straight road bike I reckon the trip would be exhausting, given how careful you'd have to be for such long stretches generally at slow speed (we're talking 200km!). Need to consider fuel as well.

Plenty of guys on advrider do these roads regularly.