Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Girl81, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

Hope everyone is having great wknd - the weather is fantastic for riding. Unfortunately I'm on night shift all wknd so my bike will stay in the garage.

My reason for posting is I'm looking for help. I find it a daunting to take off from a stop on a hill, especially when wanting to turn at the same time. :oops: I have no idea why? maybe because I'm only very new to riding, i'm letting nerves take over and I just need more time on the bike, (everyday off i've done at least 120km - can't get enough of it).

Any suggestions would be wonderful :grin:
  2. Giving it enough throttle - a bit more than on the flat - and feathering the clutch a bit (i.e. letting it out a bit more slowly and being willing to let it slip a bit) is helpful in getting started. If you have some space (just a couple of metres), probably better to get a little bit of forward momentum before turning into the corner, rather than trying to do both things at once.

But definitely it's about the practice - come out for a ride with us!
  3. remember unlike cars, bikes have a wet clutch, so you can ride the clutch. so just give some rev's and let the clutch out slowly, she'll start to grip and slowly let ur foot off the back brake and away she goes, :)
  4. What he said. Give yourself a few metres when you pull up, so you can concentrate on getting moving, then start your turn.
    Use rear brake to hold bike, revs up, and as you start to feel the clutch want to move the bike, brake off and let the clutch out smoothly or feather clutch if you want to move off slowly. Rear brake can be dragged during this manouvre to slow teh bike in traffic or for slow speed work, but if it's uphill you won't need it.
    Sometimes, due to road camber, you may not be able to use rear brake( using right foot to stay upright) so occasionally practice using front brake instead of rear brake. It's more difficult, but not hard to master.

Regards, Andrew
  5. Good advice guys ...... hill starts are something i'm not overly keen on either.
    Got used to the Subaru - makes hill starts a breeze in the car - but of course, the bike is a whole different senario!
  6. I have found it took some practice with the heavier bike. But i go for the rear brake option and once i feel the bike wanting to move let the brake off. This will take some practice of course. Or you can ride the clutch as suggested. Good luck with it.. :grin:
  7. I did a lovey big hill start (no corner) for the first time yesterday.... positioned myself just behind bravus feathered the clutch,. slipped it at the last bit and away she went.

I'm also worried about having to do it when turning, so am going to fin a couple of hill start turns and go out and practice them at 4 in the morning!!!! ;)
  8. just because you can ride the clutch doesn't mean you're not wearing the crap out of it :)

just practice practice practice, it's no different to setting off on the flat, just that you have to release the rear brake at the right time or you'll end up traveling backwards.
  9. Thanks for all your comments. I think I'm doing the right thing, just need to give the throttle a little more of a twist and things should be better. I'm off to practice practice practice. Thanks again :grin:
  10. One way to practice hill start 'clutching', is to start off from a stop in second gear on the flat. This also requires a little clutch slip, so the feel is very similar to a hillstart.
  11. My Practice is leaving our property on the Pacific Hwy at the bottom of two hills and the driveway is on a slope. I sure hope i dont stuff up one day when there is trucks flying down the hills :( Any advice other then don't leave home?
  12. yep, all of the above comments and dont put too much pressure on yourself, if you push yourself too hard you will make silly decisions. and be patient and only enter the road when there is plenty of room.

that or move to the south coast where traffic is only a hassle 3 months of the year :LOL:
  13. as stated above - use only back brake, throttle and clutch - the hard part is operating all three at once. don't be scared to over-rev as the speed you release the clutch will dictate how quickly you move off. as you slowly release the clutch you will notice a change in the sound of the revs/engine, this signals it is time to slowly release the back brake and clutch. at this point the revs may drop as the engine is no longer free-revving, the power is now being used to move rider and bike so you may need to use a little more throttle. aim your nose/eyes/chin in the direction you wish to travel and all should be well.

the real secret is - practice, practice, practice

this was scary for me when I first started riding also, now, no problems.

good luck dude!!!
  14. ym fist hill start reulted in an off.... too much throttle and i think i slipped with the clutch and away she went.....

will be practicing this a fair bit i think :)
  15. I don't get why this seems so hard to people who have driven a manual car? It's exactly the same as I was taught 20yrs ago when I got my car licence, except you use the foot brake instead of the hand brake.
    >Brake on
    >slowly release clutch as if taking off normally
    >once you hear the engine revs die a little as the clutch engages, slowly release the brake.

WooHoo off you go!

As Drew found out the hard way, if you're unsure of yourself, you're best to get away from traffic and practice, practice, practice (without the pressure of your wife watching you from the car behind).
  16. I *know* the proper hill start should involve the rear brake, but I must confess in practice I hardly ever bother. 99.9% of the time I just let the revs build up a bit, let the (front) brake go and take off before I start rolling back. It would take a really, really, really steep hill to require fiddling with the brake as I take off.
  17. Yeah, it's easy to do that once you have mastered controlling the throttle and the front brake at the same time with the same hand, and that's what I do most of the time as well. But that can be tougher for the absolute beginner than just using the back brake so they can concentrate their right hand on throttle control.
  18. yeah, i love the Subaru hill-holder function.
    I thought about this the other night whether in can be incorporated on bikes, surely technically its pretty simple.

But I think Subaru have the design rights, i've never driven or know of any other car that has the function.
  19. :)

Well i left the driveway for the first time yesterday i was pretty nervous so yeah i scared the sheet out of myself cause i spun the wheel on the cravel and was all over the place but i fixed myself up and had a good little ride and ended up racing dad on the way home. i kinda lost cause he has a GPZ900 but yeah its all good. :p
  20. Toyota Prado/Landcruisers have something similar.