Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hillstarts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by BadGrrmmr, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller.

Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble mastering hillstarts on their bikes? I've noticed that when I'm on a substantial hill, I tend to stall the bike. I've also notice that because I'm concentrating so much on not rolling backwards/not stalling it, I think i hold the footbrake on too heavy and this is what leads to the stall.

It gets a little annoying/embarrassing in peak hour traffic…

Any tips or stories would be appreciated.

2. Find a quiet hill somewhere and practice, practice, practice.

How do you go on gentle slopes?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. When I first did hill starts I used to have the front brake on and had trouble working out the coordination needed with fingers on brake and trying to roll on throttle, so I changed to using the rear brake to hold the bike. Sounds like you already do that so just need to work on the sensitivity on the rear brake. Also check your clutch adjustment, if it takes up too early, maybe adjust it to take up a little later, that way you have more revs on when the clutch takes up and less likely to stall.

4. ^^^^^ What they said! Practice and use rear brake, if you're stalling just use more throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, I think I'm going to do just that this weekend; Practice just doing hill starts. Slight slopes are fine, every other situation is fine, rarely stall. Just steep hills.

I've got a Striple 660 and the tall 1st gear I think contributes a little to my demise.

I also think my issue is partly psychological, I over think the process when there's a line of traffic and I try too hard not to stall.

Cheers for the tips!

6. You don't need to quickly release the rear brake when moving off, you can drag it lightly for a bit before you fully release the clutch so no chance of rollback. Also it's ok to ride the clutch however much you need to depending on the severity of the hill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. It's all about clutch control.
    Find a flat bit of quiet road and practice pulling away, learning where the biting point of the clutch is, not only by looking at the clutch lever but also the feel of the lever in your hand.
    Also take note of the feel of the bike and the sound of the engine.
    Once your used to where the biting point of the clutch is, start practicing on a hill.
    Using a little more revs than normal, find the biting point and release the brake and you will find you will start to creep forward.
    Smooth use of the clutch is the key.

Good luck

8. A couple of other things to pay attention to..
    1: Look up at the horizon and not downwards at your bars (or worse at your pegs). This will help you steady your balance and remove one less thing to think about.
    2: Only use the rear brake (and not the front) as it squats the bike into a nice and settled position. More importantly it's one less thing you'll need to do with your hands.
    3: Practice your clutch friction point again looking at the horizon. Early on we mistakenly think that we can "see" where the friction point is and end up looking down at the clutch lever so all your attention goes into that rather than everything else that needs you attention. You'll get the "feel" much quicker and begin to instinctively know where it is without even thinking and even with your eyes closed.
    4: Gently twist the accelerator (like turning a door knob) slowly raising the rev's and then keep them steady with a relaxed grip. Slowly release the clutch and feel as it starts to bite (friction point) LOOK UP..and then gently release the rear brake until you can feel the bike rise slightly under you and it slowly moves away.

Find a moderate and quite hill somewhere and practice , practice, practice.

All the best.
    NFI.

9. As someone who has had to master this in the not so distant past here in hilly Hobart I say:
    a) Plenty of revs. Too much is not a problem, too little is.
    b) Gentle on the clutch.

When you feel the bike start to pull forward get off the rear brake and no problem (in theory). As the others have said, more practice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Use your ears.

Slowly release the clutch and when you reach the friction point,you will hear the engine start to labour. At that point the bike will be held from moving backward by the engine. Now just release brake (better still progressively release brake) and gently roll on throttle and keep gently releasing brake.

While too few revs is a problem unlike the previous comments, you do not need plenty of revs. A tad more than normal takeoff should be sufficient for all but the Everest of hills.

With practice you will just do it all aotomatically.

11. friction point, slowly add more revs and let go of brake. there's like a bazillion threads on this subject.

12. When I was a kid my dad would make me stop on a hill on my dirt bike, and I wasn't allowed to leave until I took off smoothly and controlled.
    Was hard as hell back then, but now I don't even think about it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yeah, cheers. That is the process, I'm aware of that, it's the same as flat ground but I was asking if there was any anecdotal tips or ideas or things to think about when attempting a hill start.

Like this! Exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you. I'll be sure to check back on this over the weekend.

If there's too many of this kind of thread elsewhere, delete this one. But this is kind of the nature of forums, there is always going to multiple threads on the same subject...

Now let's watch this thread spiral into a bitchy derailed discussion about duplicate threads.

Take it away, Internet! :)

14. friction point, IMMEDIATELY add more revs and let go of CLUTCH. there's like a bazillion threads on how to wheelie.

Fixed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I liked loop your bike better. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. I thought better of it.......

17. ^^ what they all said about the rear brake n throttle :)

18.  Top
  19. Found the steepest hill I could find and made it my biatch. After it made me its biatch quite a few times (stalling). The head up tip was probably the key, meant I wasn't focussing on any particular element of the process.

So, you guys and girls for the tips. Didn't even loop the bike!

• Like Like x 1
  20. just another thng to think of, don't crank on the rear brake.
    before you do the hill start, release pressure on rear brake until it just starts slipping backward, then add a little more pressure.
    you only need enough rear brake to stop you going backwards, and more pressure will just make the hillstart harder

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1