Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hill Starts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Joff, Sep 7, 2005.

1. A few Newbie questions:

I've been riding round the streets for a few weeks now and I need a jacket. Don't want to get a new one, just a nice 2nd hand leather one, something decent like Dainese or AlpineStar.

Where is a good place to find 2nd hand jackets in Melbourne?

And secondly, I haven't been taught how to do a hill start on a bike. Is it just like doing a handbrake start in a car but you use the foot brake as the handbrake?

Let me know,

2. Ebay is a wonderful place for second hand items.

Yep, the back brake is all you have to do.

3. You could have opened a can of worms with that question as there are two 'correct' ways, depending on who you talk to;

1. Footbrake and clutch

2. Front brake and clutch

Each has its theoretical advantages/disadvantages...but I don't want to get caught in the crossfire so I won't express an opinion.
  4. I tend to do both depending on the hill I am on. for a very steep one with bad road condition, then it is the front brake option with both feet down for stability. It does mean though you have to be more co-ordinated with your right hand though.
    most of the time I use the back brake option.
  5. I assume you are also on a 250 - I have found hill starts much easier on a larger bike as all you have to do is let the clutch lever out a little and the bike will roll forward or at least not roll back.
  6. I've got a habit of putting both feet down from when I rode dirt bikes as a kid so it's front brake and clutch for me.
  7. Its an "each to their own" kinda thing. Mines front brake.
  8. Front. As Scumbag says, it allows me to put both feet down if I want/ need to.

It is pretty much up to you, but it is useful to know how to do both in case you do need to put your right foot down.
    Besides which, it's generally worth learning how to use the throttle and front brake together, particularly if you intend getting a bit 'sporty'. Hill starts are a great way to practice.
  9. Generally I'll use front brakes only, allows me to stabilise the bike better on funny cambered roads and in the wind. I'll use the back brake if I need to open the visor or fiddle around etc.
  10. Back brake.

Leave it on until the swingarm compresses the slack out of the chain, as you let the clutch out, then ease it off and continue to accelerate and let the clutch out.

Using the front brake makes it more difficult to use the throttle.

If you own an old Triumph, turn it around and use the hill to start the bike. lol
  11. I don't use either, I gently roll it back until I hit the car behind then use them to stop me from rolling back further. It certainly makes them friendlier as they're waving their arms at me :LOL:
  12. Alright thanks for all the info guys I'll have to put it into action now.

Now what about good place to buy second hand gear? Don't really want to use Ebay as I'd like to see the jacket in the flesh and try it on before I commit? Any ideas?
  13. Hill start with a u-turn... use the back brake until you're an expert!

14. Since nobody else is telling you how to do the back brake method...
    Clutch in, front brake on, you put it into first gear, then put your left foot down, right foot on the rear brake and release the front brake. The rear brake is now stopping you rolling back.
    Give it some throttle and hold it steady while you feed out the clutch.
    As you feel the drive starting to push the bike forwards you can release the rear brake and away you go.
  15. as for your gear question -
    Some of the second hand stores like Cash Converters will have decent leathers etc. I hope you are also going to consider (or already have) pants, gloves, and boots!

You mention two of the most expensive brands for leathers. If you want all round wear get cordura / kevlar - not quite as good in protection but certainly much more versatile and cheaper. If you are going to commute daily this is an absolute must! You can pick up a jacket for $200 when they are on sale.

If you want decent leathers at a good price check out www.underdog-leathers.com - you would need to buy new but about half the cost of dainese etc and still excellent quality (they were at the expo last year - they are also a netrider partner giving 10% discount). Or check scorpion race gear - I haven't seen their leathers in person but supposedly good quality.

And of course the motorcycle expo is coming up next week so that is a great place to find some specials on new stuff.