Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hill Starts (seeking tips)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MelbourneMick, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Just looking for a few pointers.

Foot on the rear brake.

Bike in 1st gear

throttle on / clutch out til you feel the friction point

take foot off rear brake

gracefully take off in up hill direction.

Is that it in a nutshell? I seem to always be over revving.
    Is there anything else I can do to make these smoother??
  2. Nothing wrong with overevving it - just make sure to balance it out with your clutch. Personally when its time to go, i always wait until i feel the bike creep forward until i SLOWLY release the rear brake.
  3. That's about it. The trick is to get feel of the friction point. Try practising holding the friction point on a hill without the brake (and without traffic up your arse).

An alternate method is forgetting about the rear brake entirely, and just balancing on the friction point the entire time, but this doesn't give you a chance to relax.
  4. Keep at it Mick, with the cluthc, it's kind of similar when you 'feather the clutch' when doing the slow manouvering on sta mornings, you 'feel' the grab, eventually you will sit there brakes on, slight let go of clutch and lift the revs and off you go, as the pld saying goes, 'practise makes perfect' :) and It's easier said then done but mate you're on the right track alreay..
  5. That's what I do, with a bit of practice you get used to where you need to keep the revs in order to get enough torque to take off.

But you've got a wet multi-plate clutch in most bikes so they can take a bit of abuse.
  6. Just looking for a few pointers.

Foot on the rear brake.

Bike in 1st gear

throttle on / clutch out til you feel the friction point

take foot off rear brake Almost. Drive the clutch and throttle against the rear brake till you have motion then release. You should only have the brake on hard enough to hold the bike which is very little. That way it's more of a normal start and hills wont mean a thing but more throttle and a longer friction point

gracefully take off in up hill direction.
  7. ^^That's how I do it, but it took a few times to get the hang of it, and I still bugger it up occasionally. It helps that I now know my bike better. I'm still a noob to riding, but the skills are coming... Still better than the first couple of hill starts where I took about 5 goes to take off b/c I kept stalling. LOL.

Also check that your brake pedal is set up to suit you. If it's too low or too high, it's gonna make it harder to keep the right pressure on and release slowly.
  8. Also use your ears. As you ease the clutch out you willhear the engine revs drop slightly as you hit the friction point. Or drop rapidly if you are ham fisted.

At that point a little more throttle to maintain revs.

With practice it all happens without even thinking about it.
  9. thanks to everyone who responded in this thread and took the time to offer their advice, tips and encouragement.
    I was good to know I wasn't that far off getting it right.

The 'finer detail' will certainly help next time i go out and practice these starts.

10. As the others have said, yeah.

Don't stress too much about getting it perfect. There's no cash prize. Just keep doing it and you will get better. I would aim over time to get smoother, more 'graceful' about it, and I'd aim to get through the riding-the-clutch part fairly quickly, to the part where the clutch is all the way out and the revs are fairly low and the throttle is pretty well open. Newer riders often seem to get a balance here where the first time they get going well, they use a lot of revs and lots of clutch slip to do it, and they sort of get into the habit of doing that. Try and gravitate over time towards less revs, more throttle, quicker off the clutch. I don't mean dump the thing at idle and stall the bike, I mean work toward ... you get the picture. It's much easier on bigger bikes, generally.
  11. Excellent thank you
  12. Back in to the gutter on a quiet back street, pull forward smoothly about
    a metre and a half, roll back. Repeat until clutch and throttle are working together nicely. Substitute rear brake for curb.....Done.
  13. Thanks for the advice Doug! Appreciated as always....and I know just the street to go and practice in!
    cheers mate
  14. Your welcome.

Let me know how it goes, on Sat.
  15. Hopefully that's not a serious suggestion. XD

Wet clutches can generally take a bit more abuse than a dry clutch, but still...
  16. Practice Practice Practice that's it mate. good luck
  17. Not a bad way to take off when the light is just about to turn green
  18. And practice I am ! haha

I was out practicing after work the other day. All slowly coming together a lot smoother now.

Glad I started this thread as it gave me the confidence that at last I had the theory
  19. Finding hill starts fun myself ... Yup practice is the key ... Unfortunately the other day I did stall on an uphill slant at some traffic lights.

Quickly and smoothly got the bike restarted and moved off ... Obviously not quick enough for the falcon ute behind me whom took off sideways from behind ... Fishtailing the other way when he was going round the corner .. After which let his rear end go in front of me about 20 meters after the corner into the gutter...

Sigh I went past without blinking an eyelid .. To summarize there is good reason there is a yellow plate on the back of my girl ... I'm still learning and can make mistakes ! ** oops *** sorry didn't mean for that to turn into a rant ... :)
  20. Just wanted to pop back in and thank everyone for the tips and encouragement in this thread. I have been out practicising and practicising and my hills starts are a lot smoother now. I don't seem to be over thinking them as much either.

muchas gracias Amigos!