Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wedge, Jan 20, 2007.

1. What is the cause of a highside and how do you prevent it?

2. Wombats.

Anti-wombat spray should do the trick.
  3. #3 Loz, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Oh, also...

It's when the rear wheel loses traction under gas and starts going faster than the front wheel, then gets out of line with the front wheel, then regains traction again.

Show us how, Hopper: [media=youtube]ZqcUtx1ioCI[/media]

If you're on a serious lean angle going through a corner fast and with a lot of throttle on, the rear can break away. If you're good enough to control this, you get a sexy powerslide and you're off on your merry way. If you're a ham-fisted galoot, the rear end can get way out of line. When the tyre suddenly grabs again, the bike snaps back incredibly violenty and you go do the high jump. The whole process takes about a second, and then you're doing an impression of the greatest american super hero.

Riding within your limits is an excellent way to avoid highsiding. If the back slips a little, as it will on small gravel patches and bumpy bits of road, it will generally correct itself without issue unlless you're gassing the merry f*ck out of it.

But most importantly, watch out for those bastard wombats.
  4. G'day everyone,......

Loz: I'm sorry to have to disagree with you but wombat spray is silly,.....what kind of advise is that!!??

You should'nt be perpetuateing urban mythes.

Wombat CREAM!!!
    That will solve the problem!!
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dr Who?
  5. Talking from experience Loz :) Good to hear you are in recovery.
    Thanks for the advice
  6. Also locking the rear under braking, having it slide out, then releasing the rear brake abruptly will cause a highside.
  7. while the bike is leaned over, any significant force that makes it stand up in a short amount of time has the potential to cause a highside.

most of the common reasons have been listed above.
  8. Been reading twist. If rear slides out,don't roll off or grip bars tightly, or otherwise stiffen up in any way. Just try to keep calm and maintain steady throttle and the bike will fix itself.
  9. ahhhh so that's what a highside is

*invests in shares of wombat repellent* :p
  10. Do NOT install an ejector seat

... no matter how many times you've watched Top Gun and now finally bought a bike.
  11. I thought they renamed it to lozsiding :p :LOL: in honour of the wombat.
  12. Hitting a stationary obsticle will also cause you to replicate what ones body does during a highside. (like an audi)

Or doing a stoppie and continuing over the bars.
  13. You might high side a Goldwing or a Harley with the rear, you'd have a hard time with most other bikes. It's throttle that causes by far the most highsides, even that guys gif anim of Michael Dowson is a throttle highside.
  14. Hey Loz

I watched the video and the guy didnt land on his side, he landed on his back. So that was a High Back? :rofl:
  15. I disagree. You can high side any bike if you abuse the rear brake... even my 1978 Coles variety pedal powered 3 gear dragster as experienced on or around 1978...

The letting go of the rear brake will cause the skidding rear to grip again and throw you off (assuming enough sideways velocity) aka a high side... I do agree though, the article is definitely focussed on heavy lumbering bikes. It is a bit of a conservatie article. I've skidded the rear on purpose a few times and so long as you don't get the tail too out of shape, a highside is pretty unlikely when you step off the rear brake.

Just to clarify the throttle highside, spinning up the rear wont cause a highside. It's the rolling off of the throttle (in panic) that will cause the spinning rear to grip again and throw you off (assuming enough sideways velocity), aka a high side.
  16. Nothing beats drifting sideways down the road at a full lock.

Good practise for the corners if you can get it to come in slowly.
  17. Loz has the main points covered.

The rear brake ways are technically highsides, but really they're just being unco and are not related to the highside epidemic of the late 80s and early 90s.

The proper highside is, as Loz said, the result of getting too much power on and sliding the back out of line. In a car this would be a burnout or powerslide or- dare I say it- 'drift'. But that's no problem because cars have four points of contact with the ground.

The issue, as Loz also said, is when that powerslide stops and the rear tyre gains traction: the energy that was sliding is immediately turned into a rotating force, flipping the bike over and hence you fall over the 'high side'.

If your name is Doohan or Schwantz, you can use your body as a mass buffer (which is what Keith Code is getting at when he says 'relax') to damp down the force. If the rider is hanging on tight as a rigid part of the bike, then the rider's weight becomes part of the rotating energy. But if the rider holds him/herself loosely on the bike so it can move around, they can apply their weight after the rotation has started and thus damp the movement.

The other way to do it is to bring the initial slide under control gradually so you don't get the sudden energy transfer. You can either have exquisite throttle control, use a tap of rear brake, or simply let the engine rev until it passes peak power and the power drops off.

Even a minor highside that doesn't pitch the bike right over will still throw the rider up in the air, and it's possible to fall off a bike that keeps going.

Highsides were very common when engine power massively outstripped tyre technology from about 1985. Tyres are much better now and they hang on longer and let go more gradually.