Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Highpowered magnet puzzles, banned.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Aug 23, 2012.

  1. Nerds everywhere are drowning their sorrows, but for a possibly good reason.

    = = = = = =


    VIC: Small high powered magnets immediately banned

    Date: 23rd August 2012
    Small magnetic novelty items that can cause grave health risks if swallowed are now banned in Victoria, Minister for Consumer Affairs Michael O’Brien announced today.
    “Effective immediately, they must not be sold or made available for sale in any store across Victoria. Consumer Affairs Victoria inspectors will be out checking and will seize these items if they have not been removed from sale by businesses,” Mr O’Brien said.
    The Victorian Minister for Consumer Affairs today approved a 60-day interim ban order on small, separable or loose permanent magnetic objects such as BuckyBalls, Buckycubes, Nanodots, Neocubes, Neodymium sphere magnets and Xcube. Similar bans have been enacted in Western Australia and New South Wales.
    Mr O’Brien said, while the Commonwealth Government was proposing a nationwide ban, this did not result in the immediate removal of the products.
    “We take the safety of children very seriously, and have taken swift action to remove the potentially dangerous products immediately to prevent them from causing further harm,” Mr O’Brien said.
    “While the Commonwealth is considering its position, the Victorian Coalition Government is taking action now to reduce the risk of serious harm.”
    Mr O’Brien said the magnets, which are usually sold in quantities within a single package, can cause serious injury if swallowed or inhaled.
    There are risks to toddlers and small children placing the objects in their mouths, as well as a risk from accidental swallowing by teenagers or adults using the magnets as facial jewellery.
    “The magnets can lock together through intestinal walls and cause perforations and blockages. Urgent surgery may then be required to remove the magnets, to avoid serious medical complications or death,” Mr O’Brien said.
    “Children can choke or suffocate if the magnets lodge in their throat or block their windpipe.
    “Although these products may be branded with warnings, the serious health risks they pose are not obvious, and unfortunately injuries are becoming more common,” Mr O’Brien said.
    The number of injuries from small, powerful magnets is increasing. The Victorian Injury Surveillance Unit has reported that of 203 ‘ingestion of magnets’ incidents in the 15 years to 2010; 43 per cent involved ‘magnetic balls/spheres’. There has been a substantial increase in incidents since 2005.
    This is the first Victorian interim ban introduced under the Australian Consumer Law’s product safety powers.
    The ban applies to small, separable or loose permanent magnetic objects:
    (a) That are supplied as aggregated masses or in multiples of two or more;
    (b) That are intended or marketed by the manufacturer primarily as a manipulative or construction desk toy or as jewellery;
    (c) That have a magnetic flux index of greater than 50 kG2mm2; and
    (d) Where the product supplied contains more than one magnet that fits within the small parts cylinder specified in the International Standards Organization Toy Standard (ISO 8124-1:2009, Safety of toys).

    Contact Details

    Media contact: Justine Sywak 0448 448 487 justine.sywak@minstaff.vic.gov.au
    Consumer Affairs Victoria's news alert and Interim ban order: www.consumer.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/news-updates/small-powerful-magnets-banned

  2. I heard about this in the US a few weeks ago when they were planning a ban on them. My brother has a set of these and unfortunately 1 has gone missing so we can't make all the shapes anymore.:cry:
    I knew I should have bought some more before they got pulled. I might have to go down to Australian Geographic and see if I can buy some before they know about the ban. 8-[

    Now to why they were banned, what a load of crap. How stupid do you need to be to put them in your mouth and pretend they're jewellery? Kids, yes kids are stupid and put everything in their mouths but these aren't kids toys they're for adults. Maybe they should be allowed as it'll help weed out the really stupid among us. /rant
  3. Not to mention if a kitten happens to get hold of them, god help us all, um I mean politicians help us all.

    I have some large rare earth magnets at work that can take your finger off, hope we don't get raided.
  4. Wait, so 87.29 'incidents' (No fatalities?) involving swallowed magnet ball things over FIFTEEN YEARS,
    (less than 6 a year), and it's worthy of a ban???
  5. #5 smileedude, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Shouldn't it be 68 kG2mm2?

  6. i hope theres an amnesty period to hand them in
  7. Nationwide magnet buy back scheme.

    But won't that leave them in the hands of the crims, and leave us legitimate magnet users with nothing to attract metal with.
  8. The earth is magnetic; is it going to be banned too? :LOL:
  9. As hard as they sometimes try, a child is yet to swallow the Earth.
  10. Of course you do realise that the other use of high powered magnets is to foil satellite tracking by security and enforcement agencies... :wink:
  11. Oh, the irony
  12. Just take note that the ban only applies to magnets sold as toys/novelties. You can still go down to your industrial magnet supplier and legally buy enough neodymium magnets to stick an elephant to the side of a battleship.
  13. Can… and should!
  14. yes I certainly do
  15. We have some of these at home... and we have children.... I don't recall any of them inhaling them at this stage.
  16. They must be smarter than the teenagers and adults that use them as jewellery then.

    It looks like Australian Geographic have taken them off the shelf, I couldn't see any when I was in their store before.