Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by vladpp, Jul 28, 2008.

1. If the bike is idling and i turn on high beam, the the revs start droping. After 30 seconds or so the engine dies. Is this normal? My battery is kinda (very) crap, but i thought that most of the power came from the alternator...

2. poor battery condition is not going to help your electrical system.
  3. The revs drop ??? It could be alternater as well, go new battery first and then get the charging system checked ..If you take the bike to the place you get the battery from they should check it for free ,It easy enough to check yourself with a multi meter if you have one ..
  4. A poor battery or terminal connections can cause this sort of thing. check your idle speed too. It should be quite high on this bike.
  5. 1. Check the terminals of the battery make sure they are connected tightly, one time on my cd250U years ago a loose negative terminal was giving me all sorts of grief like yours is.

2. Get a multimeter and test the reg rec while it is idling both with the high beam on and off.
    It should be charging within the normal parameters of your bike's charging system.

3. Check the state of your battery after it has been left idle for a day.
    Has the voltage dropped?