Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

High winds????

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Pez, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Any good tips for riding in bloody strong cross winds?

was on the way home from work today and got stuck riding down the western ring road in melbourne with a rather strong cross wind and for the first time since getting the bike (2 weeks ago) i was not in a happy place :(

i see myself being in this situation a bit in the future coz its windy out there a lot of the time

cheers Pez

2. lower your profile as much as possible, so, crouch down behind whatever screen you have (if you have one..)

if its consistant, you can generally lean into the wind slightly but if blustery, just stay relaxed and don't wrestle the bike too hard. ride in the centre of the lane so you have room to make corrections if pushed about.

the more you do it, the more comfortable it gets.

the first time i rode through a hail storm on the golden hwy i near soiled myself. the second time i hit hail wasnt so bad (i learnt my lesson and stopped for a bit ). :LOL:

3. I was planning on asking the same question today, but you beat me to it. Have to say I find riding in the wind just about harder than anything else. Rode from Footscray to Oakleigh and back. Elected not to go over the Bolte/Shitty Link which is my normal route but went down Dandenong Rd instead. Figured there might be a bit more protection there. I generally try to let the bike find its own balance and try not to fight it and ride more in the centre of the lane than I usually do to give me a bit of room in case I get blown sideways. Would really like to hear some helpful hints from more experienced riders on this.

4. at first i was white knuckling it and that was the worst of it soon as i relaxed it was a lot better

i ride a VTR250 so not a lot to hide behind

5. Can't add more to what junglist said.
    +1
    Be sure to 'relax' your grip on the bars

6. relax the bike won't get blown over, not in the stuff we had today, whilst your moving. Relax the grips, give your self plenty of room. I know how you felt. Bolte is worse than the Westgate in the wind, but I'd say go via footscray and miss em both.

7. Surely you can't be serious

8. If find gripping the tank tightly with your knees in high wind also helps. It feels like you're attached to the bike a bit better and lessens the feeling that you'll get blown off.

9. when you ride a fully faired big bike, you may come to realise that physics is against you, and the only option is to slow to a manageable speed.

10. Nah I disagree,
    It's better to ride FASTER than the wind that way you outrun it and don't get affected.

11. Smee is right. This method is also proven to work in rain.
    :cool:

12. As useless as this advice might sound, it really comes down to experience. The more I ride in high winds the easier it becomes. Having said that, it's still going to be hairy.

I remember when I went out to a spanner night in Tarneit a few months ago we were having some pretty atrocious winds that day(I ate beans ;))... Anyway - going over the Westgate was a nightmare. I found it easiest to get alongside a truck and use it as a windbreak, the only problem is that that's rather dangerous in itself. The other girl that was riding with me actually was blown into a car and clipped it's mirror.

As has been said already, make yourself as small as you can and relax your arms to enable any adjustments with your steering to be done quickly.

Best of luck :)

13. I challenge you to a vector fight smee.
    and if i dont win, i'll get my mum, the physics teacher to whoop you :LOL:
    there is pro's and cons to both arguments, but slowing down is best for learners ;)

edit - you too es, c'mon, i'll have ya!

14. It's elementary my dear Joel, if the wind is howling at 80 kmh you simply do 160 kmh to outrun it.
    In a headwind doing 160 means you nullify the wind bt breaking the "wind barrier".
    As for crosswinds if you are riding like the wind the bastard can't catch you.

(I got 48% in high school physics after I gave up on it and missed my final 2 months of classes yet decided to sit the exam, so does that qualify me?) :wink:

15. nah no way - ud get stuck in the wind while i sped up and out ran it.

I WIN!

16. graphically, it says a cross wind will displace you Xm.
    Factoring in your velocity, it will displace you Xm, during y time.
    The displacement remains the same, however the rate at which you are displaced (in metres from your intended direction) occurs over a greater distance.
    however, this greater distance to be displaced is proportionate to your initial velocity, therefore, you have the choice of being moved, for example, 2m off line at a fast speed over a larger distance, giving you less time to react, opposed to 2m, over a shorter distance, making correction much more manageable IMO.
    6 of one, half dozen of the other....depending on what is manageable to YOU :)

17. Use vehicles as a buffer ie. travel next to one. The bigger the vehicle,
    the more protection you'll have.

Slowing down will also help.

Can't offer anymore tips as they are the only ones I used when crossing
    the Westgate with high winds.

18. Ask any learner what they should do when they first enounter riding in rain, snow, fog, dirt roads, or any other unfamiliar situation they have little practice with and their answer will invariably include the concept of slowing down to increase their reaction time........., yet when it comes to riding in cross winds the answer seems to be a mystery to them. :roll:

Here's the tip that experienced riders keep secret... "Slow down to increase your reaction time." :wink:

There are other things that can be done inclusing using cars as a buffer, gripping with the knees or sticking out the upwind knee...., At the end of the day though, you will work out what's best for you by practicing. Start out at lower speeds and relax (DEFINATELY KEEP YOUR ARMS RELAXED). As you get practiced you will become more comfortable and your confidence and speed will increase accordingly. :)

Pretty soon you'll be confident enough to keep up with smee and es, out pacing the wind altogether. :LOL:

19. Keep a cup of HTFU in your beverage holder and go for it mate!

20. Hi all
    i dont want to hijack thread but when travelling beside trucks just be aware for the second trailer moving around and beware of tyres letting tread go
    i lost a tyre on my back trailer and it connected with a commodore about $4000 damage
    ( i drive a 26mtr b double interstate )
    with the b trailer moving around some times on poor road surfaces it can step out about a foot
    hope this helps
    Craig