Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

High speed turning...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kojihama, Nov 8, 2009.

1. hey all,

So first week in and my friends took me for a ride up and over Mt Mee [BNE] and on the D'aguilar highway. My first major ride not in the city and my first time going both over 100k's (oops, did I say over?) and also 'trying' to do some high speed turning.

Out of the whole ride the most difficulty I was having was the high speed (50-60k's) turning on the mountain... I constantly found that I was slowing down to ensure that I could take the corner properly.

Now the big question... when I was at my QRide course, the trainer told me to always lean away from the direction that I was turning.. so if I turn left I lean right.. or turn right then lean left. I think this is counter-steering??? But then my friend said that I should be leaning INTO the direction I was turning.. e.g. if i'm turning left then shift my body weight left... etc etc.

So who's right? Towards the end I was shifting my weight like my friend told me into the direction I was turning but I was still slowing down because I wasn't making the turn hard enough and kept feeling like I was going to lose it.

Upon saying that, it's also probably that it was my first major ride doing these sort of things as well.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Koj
  2. Wow who was your instructor to be teaching people to ride like that ?

Everyone works out there own technic, but the basics are lean the way you wish to turn, keeping your head as level as possible and look through the corner ..... to where you want to be.
    Counter steering does come into play as well but lets just leave that for all the other debates about that LOL

Counter steering is different again and has been covered in 1000's of threads on NR if you want to search.
    The basics once again ... push the handlebar to the right to go left, and visa versa. Can also be used for sudden altering of cornering line or obstacle avoidance.

I'm sure some others can fill in more details for you :angel:

My typing skills are on the slow side :rofl:
  3. i think you mis-interpreted your Qride trainer.
    yes, you should slow down to ensure that you can take the corner properly...set everything up before the corner...brake before your entry, select the right gear...push left to go left, push right to go right> this tips the bike over left (by pushing left) or right (by pushing right) to lean into the corner...try it sitting on your bike you'll see what i mean...now, the faster you are going the more the bike tries to stay upright...it's just physics....grab a ten cent piece and roll it down a hard floor...the faster you roll it, the longer it will roll, until it looses enough speed for gravity to bin it...you see, the faster it's rolling the more it is forced upright ....and so, the faster you are going on your bike, the more effort to lean it over...hence you use your body weight to help, ie: leaning with the bike....note, this information is releveant to the riding and speeds you described...if you were manourvering a bike slowly in a car park, or doing a u-turn, you may actually lean opposite to the bike and steer it to turn, rather than lean it to turn (unlike some recent noobs in car parks)...but at twisty mountain road speeds the only way you're going to "steer" a bike in the direction you want it to go is to lean it into that direction...and the quickest way to make it start doing that is push the bars in the opposite direction, so it falls over into the direction you need to lean it ( you''ll see what i mean when you go outside in a minute, sit on your bike and try it)

...i hope i got all that right haha...i think i even confused myself
  4. and no you don't have to put your knee down and hang your arse out, not just yet anyway...just clamp those thighs tight to that tank, push your shoulder out into the lean, keep your head level with the horizon and nose pointed where you want to go...the rest of your body stays with the bike as if a part of it, leaning with it...your bike is not self aware, it does not know you are on it, so just be a part of it ( unless it's my bike, because my bike loves me, more than my parents ever did and we talk to each other a lot)...ANYWAY, soo you're entering the corner > you enter wide, stay wide till you see the exit...exit tight.
  5. Leaning

The counter-leaning (leaning the opposite way to the way you are turning) that the QRide people told you about was most likely referring to making a u-turn and is mostly only useful in this instance.

On the road you lean INTO the corner.

With regards to counter steering, as suggested...do a search. But the concept of pushing the right bar fwd to make a right hand turn (effectively steering the opposite direction to the one you want to go) is used to initiate a turn.

Understanding these things will improve your riding immensely.

PS Monkey man may have said that, but it was too difficult reading through with no paragraphs or punctuation so was easier to just reply :wink:
  6. I suspect you misunderstood the instructor as I find it hard to believe the instructor would have said that. I suspect that the instructor was talking about low speed (think walking pace) turning. Leaning away from the turn at that speed tends to help counter the bike's inclination to fall over into the turn.

At normal road speeds you need to lean the bike into the turn. Generally speaking for a given radius of turn, the faster you go the more you need to lean. Leaning with the bike assists this and leaning against it hinders.

Counter steering is counter intuitive so you possibly need to experience it to accept it. Next time you are travelling down a straight bit of road with no traffic or obstacles, try gently pushing the left bar. Repeat: gently or you'll end up riding off the road. By pushing the left bar you are actually turning the bars to the right. But as you push left you will find the bike leans left and goes left. Similarly if you push the right bar you will lean right and turn right.

At first you probably need to consciously think about it to initiate turns but eventually it becomes second nature.

If it's your first ride I wouldn't fret too much about slowing too much for corners. You are still getting a feel for what the bike will do and better too slow than too fast. Riding is a skill you need to develop and it will all come together with practice.
  7. Thanks all for the tip. To be honest, my instructor didn't really explain things for situations that weren't in the course... so everything was aimed at passing the obstacle course and then a short one hour ride afterwards; which meant I had no idea what I was up for in other real world situations. While I did pass the course, I don't think i'll be using that instructor again when I go unrestricted as i'd like a more structured approach.
  8. Do a quick Google search and read a few (good) articles about riding techniques.

What they teach you at the course is just the very tip of the flagpole, on top of the tower of a very deep iceberg.

Remember, you never stop learning.

9. Yep...that's why the Q-Ride system is fekkin useless, and will kill you with their oversimplified directions.
    Do a more advanced course if you need to grasp a better feel for the correct way to corner.
    The lean in opposite direction technique is intended for LOW speed manouvres ONLY..