Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC High Powered Vehicles Exemption

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by jaguarfanster, Dec 11, 2012.

  1. I have a few mates who used this in order to drive v8s and turbo cars. Work reasons and hardship are given as grounds for exemption. However I was wondering whether this could apply to non-LAMS bikes. The NSW RTA is pretty clear that it doesn't but is this the same with VicRoads? Bit unfair if it is....

  2. Not that I know or have heard of. Sorry.

  3. ahh bummer...so im technically bikeless/carless for 2 months

    rollout the pushyy
  4. Pushys are ok. I've been on one now for a few months.
  5. Out of interest, why would you need an exemption for a high powered bike?
    I can understand for work reasons as in testing customers cars or that's all that's in the fleet etc. Hardship...owning a turbo/V8?
  6. I believe hardship comes down to a v8 being the only family car etc. So since im restricted for a bit more, since I have no other wheels, other than the pushy haha, thought I could whip out the 'high powered' cbr.

    Guess not...cheers
  7. Why do you give it up as a lost cause so quickly, without even submitting an application? :confused:

    Vehicle listing is here:


    Approved - This vehicle is an approved probationary vehicle. Probationary drivers can drive this vehicle.
    Banned - This vehicle is a probationary prohibited vehicle. Probationary drivers cannot drive this vehicle.
    Under Review - This vehicle has been recently released or updated and has not yet been assessed. Visit this website again soon to check the vehicle’s status.

    Exemptions will only be granted in rare circumstances where hardship can be proven and VicRoads is satisfied that road safety is not compromised. Any exemption granted will be restricted and conditional. NO EXEMPTION IS REQUIRED from VicRoads if the probationary driver is driving an employer’s high powered vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his or her employer.

    When should an exemption be applied for?

    An application for an exemption should only be made when no alternative transportation is available and the probationary driver can demonstrate to VicRoads, by providing documentation, that he or she and/or their immediate family will suffer undue hardship.

    Examples may include:

    • driving a high powered vehicle to and from a place of employment (including voluntary employment eg. CFA or SES)
    • driving a high powered vehicle to and from an educational institution
    • driving a high powered vehicle for medical reasons
    driving a high powered vehicle as this is the only vehicle available to the probationary driver

    What documentation must be provided?

    To support the application, the probationary driver must provide:

    • documentation from his or her employer verifying the employment if the exemption is required to travel to and from work:
    • documentation from an educational institution/course coordinator if the exemption is required for educational circumstances;
    • documentation from a medical practitioner if the exemption is required for medical circumstances
    evidence from his or her family at the residential address that the only car available to be driven is a high powered vehicle.

  8. How good are you at tennis?
    Apparantly you need a high powered vehicle to get to training.
  9. That probably comes under the "at the request of your employer", or in that case sponsor.

    So the answer is obvious. Start your own business, employ yourself, then tell yourself to ride a bigger bike. :)
  10. Was in reference to an 18 year old in qld having permission to drive his m3 (maybe m6) to tennis practise, and subsequently trying to convince authorities he was on his way to tennis practise doing laps down main drag of town on a Friday night.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yep, was well aware of that. But fact remains he was granted an exemption to drive under some circumstances simply because his sponsor (ie employer) wanted him to - even though BMW could have easily provided him with any number of cars that were perfectly legal and still quite capable of getting him to practice.

    So there was no legitimate need, which just raises the question of what's the minimum amount of "sponsorship" you'd have to arrange to be able to then ride whatever you want on a restricted licence. Even if the minimum was providing the vehicle what's to stop two new riders getting together and sponsoring each other.

    Just one of the many problems I say in making allowances for one person just because they're rich and/or famous (especially when they're also a complete cock).
  12. Offer to put a knobby on the back wheel of the CBR, thus limiting how much you can use the throttle before the rear tyre lights up.