Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

High or low cut boots?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by seefu, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hello hello,

Just wanted everyone's opinions on what the main advantages of high over low cut boots are.

We are coming from a hotter climate (NT) so prefer the low cut and can't think of why the high ones are so important besides from stabilising the ankle in a roll.

Cheers, Sandy

2. And keeping your ankle from being ground down against the asphalt if your leg gets pinned under the bike.

Not to say high cut boots will prevent this entirely, but I know the road's going to have to get through a few mm of hard plastic and leather before it starts on my ankle bone.

3. Regardless of climate it all depends on the style of riding you will be doing and whether you will wear the boots all day or only while riding.

If you commute to work and then want the convenience of not needing to change your shoes then get low cut. If you ride as a lifestyle then get high boots so as jd said if you have an off they will offer more protection. If you can afford them get one of each otherwise its up to you.

4. Get a high cut. I got a low cut thinking that it will be comfortable for all day wear, turns out I still have to change shoes at work, there goes the only reason I got a low cut. Also with low cut boots you will need to wear very long pants, otherwise it will look funny when you are in a riding position.

5. just more protection, particularly shin protection.
    as riding related injuries go, lower leg injuries are the most common. foot pegs can do a lot of damage. and blows to the shins are quite common. if your bike comes to an instant stop but you don't (because Mr Magoo just pulled out in front of you) you go superman like being shot out of cannon (you're still doing 80kph, your bike is doing 0kp) and your shins take a blow from the handle bars. this shatters your tibulas, which is fine until you eventually land and they take a second blow. in which case longer boots will also aid to keep the assorted bits of shattered tibulas inside your skin., which is always a bonus, because compound fractures suck ass and make you scream like a girl.
    dose'nt always work of course, just ask Rossi, but hey at least he did'nt scream like a girl.
    you"ll also find that shorties are'nt generally any more comfortable to walk in, because propper motorcycle boots have a much stiffer sole than regular walking boots/shoes, so as it can't be compressed or flexed as easilly, to protect your foot from being unnaturally compressed or flexed in the event of a stack. depends on the brand, high end A* or sidis are still pretty comfy.

trust me on this one, ask how many people you know who genuinely do have a long riding history, how many of them have broken tibulas/fibulas.

6. High cut!

*Close thread*

Seriously, imagine what it would be like to have you ankle/foot trapped underneath the bike while it's sliding down the road. It might only be for a second or two but that's enough to rip your ankle to shreds, not to mention tear skin apart and brake bones on an asphalt surface. I'll stick to my high cut boots, thank you!

You will also get some kind of shin, calf and even Achilles protection out of high cut boots. How great the protection is depends on the $$$ you want to spend but at a bare minimum I'd be looking for boots that at least offer protecting around the ankle. You should be able to pick up a good pair of SIDI's for around $250-300. The price goes up from there.

7. Ive got low cut boots mainly because they have extra height in the soles (Im a shorty). Glad I have them though, because Brisbane can be pretty hot and humid (ok not like Darwin though) and you do get good air circulation around the lower leg that you wouldnt get with high cut boots.

8. I've only ever used low cut boots but Monkeymans post has me rethinking my choice. My choice has always been made on what I can ride to work in, wear in an office environment and that is comfortable to wear all day.

If you will be wearing them for much of the day (off the bike) I think a pair of low cut boots is something to consider but only on balance with the above points raised on safety and comfort.

9. ^^ another option is to do what many of us do, leave work shoes at work

10. Good point. I actually leave my whole uniform at work. Bring it home usually of a Wednesday and Friday night to wash it. I work in an office environment so can generally get away with wearing the same pants/shirt a couple of times a week. (y)

11. I came off a week ago and my leg was caught under the number plate. My boots are fairly high cut so I didnt even feel it. I'm sure if my boots were lower cut I'd have a nasty gash in my calf.

High cut does give a bit more protection.

12. It's high cut for me too for all the reasons already stated..

One thing I find in warm/sticky weather though is that the top of the boot can irritate/chafe with your skin so I also wear socks long enough to pass the top of the boot.

The recent aldi ones have been terrific being cool, comfy, with some extra toweling fabric stitched into the front chin area and around the foot. They're actually marked left and right too!

13. +1 - I pull my socks up, then fold them down outside the top of the boot - stops your socks falling down and exposing your skin to the top of the boot...
    I also have a pair of short boots (Icon Accelerant) - plenty of ankle and foot protection in them, but nothing over your shins/calves as others have mentioned. I really only wear them if I'm leaving the jacket at home too...