Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

High Beam Flashing Crossing an Intersection

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by beltway, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Does anyone flash their high beam when crossing an intersection - i.e. to warn the oncoming turning driver that I am here, don't turn in on me.

Cheers !

2. Nope, reason being is that a headlight flash quite often means "I am giving way to you"

3. yeah. to me, flashing your beams either means "you can go now" or "speed camera ahead"

4. And if the law sees you "dazzling", you could be up for a fine and points.

5. My bike has teh indicat0rz!

6. No because my beams stay on whenever I;m riding.

7. Why does that not surprise me. :roll:

8. Right, thought that flashing high beams would make motocyclists more visible than without flashing high beams at an intersection.

It probably would, I would think, just that either it's interpreted as something else, or illegal.

What if... it was a universal action for motorcyclists to flash highbeams at intersections (probably just the large ones, not every one), and car drivers knew this. It would be a learned sign for 'approaching motorcyclist'.

But I guess some riders wouldnt give a toss and wouldnt bother flashing... it wouldnt work if only some riders did it.

Well, after some googling, least I learned to put on high beams during the day and low beams at night and/or foggy conditions.

9. Huh? How does that make any sense o_O

10. Because high beams during the day will not "dazzle" anyone and will make you more visible. At night you might just blind people if you have them on (depending on your bike). Plus you should know not to use high beams in fog....

11. +1

Hence why I do the same & said what I did gegvasco. :roll: ](*,)

12. LOL!

13. i would flash my beam. don't reduce speed either.

14. :? So does this make it okay for 4wd owners to leave their spot/driving lights on all the time just to make sure everyone's noticed them. Sure drivers might notice you if you have highbeam on - but they might not notice your indicatior or the motorcycle behind you. Plus the highbeam on some bikes WILL dazzle drivers of vehicles with a low seating position (you can't seriously believe that having a 60w halogen globe shining right in your eyes won't bother anyone :roll:).

15. I wouldnt be comparing the beams of a bike to that of a 4WD. Stand a distance away from your bike
    with the beams on. Dont know about you, but for me, at a distance one wouldnt even know that its
    high beams you are looking at. I've yet to have anyone flash back at me because they were too bright.
    Yet to have someone tell me they were dazzled by my lights in broad daylight let alone indicate I got
    my beams on.

You must have super sensitive eyes if high beams (from any vehicle) can dazzle you in daylight no
    matter what ya seating position is. :LOL:

16. Why not. The wattage of most 4wd headlights or driving lights is no different to that on a bike. Standing in front of your bike is only going to tell you what the light is like for people driving tall vehicles - try sitting on the ground in front of your bike and see what it's like (of course some bikes are going to be worse/better than others). I wouldn't say I've been dazzled per se by bike headlights, but I have certainly been forced to look away from them.

17. MG..It is a fact that the older one gets, that lights do dazzle easier.

And from my observations, I can confirm that. Being dazzled by a single bright light, makes it very hard to judge the distance and speed of the oncoming bike.

Riding with High beam on is not illegal, but you must dip them as required by the rules...at 200 metres I think.

But don't stop doing it on my account, it my save your life just once (and you might not even know it's happens).

18. I suspect the problem at night is the effect it has on your pupil - it makes it contract and destroys your ability to see anything but the high beam. At day time this isn't a particularly big problem, since your pupils are already contracted and the ambient light is much, much higher.

In the case of a motorcycle I thought it was pretty obvious that being visible was important. How many times do car drivers say "but I didn't see them". I doubt this happens often when someone has an accident involving a 4WD. Isn't this the reason our lights are hard wired on?
    I suppose the question that needs to be asked is "are more accidents caused by drivers not seeing the bike or by drivers not seeing a bike's indicator?" Also don't cars have more than one headlight?

I might add that I rode my Across with high beams on for many years with nary a complaint - even at night. I doubt I'd do that with my blackbird since the lights on that seem much better/brighter than the Across' for some reason. So I guess realistically it's a bike to bike proposition. If people complain then don't do it. Shit, I've had people flash me on the blackbird when I've had low beam on :LOL: Might be because they don't understand you can't turn the lights off though.

19. Problem is that with highbeam they might not see you necessarily but simply see a light - if that light's bright enough then they're not likely to be looking at it directly and therefore are less likely to notice if you're turning or how fast you're approaching etc.

You'd be surprised. At the place where I used to work there was a few crashes at the exit to the supermarket next door caused by drivers who failed to see a fully-laden b-double.

20. Bud, I can only refer back to my bike & experiences. I've never had an issue with other motorists &
    when sitting down as you advised, the beam, if anything, is less intense. I am not suprised by this
    as well given the direction of the beam.

If others here start driving with beams on & find that other motorists are flashing back, then it is only
    common sense that you would cease to ride in daylight with them on. True? :wink:

BTW, I said you cant compare the beams of a 4WD to that of a bike because the light output from a
    4WD is far greater.