Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

High Beam during the day for safety???

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Classic Cruiser, May 4, 2007.

1. I'm new to the world on two wheels & i have just recently started using my high beam during the day due to alot of blind motorists pulling out in front of me. I ride a Yamaha XVS650A and the high beam isn't that bright so i thought i'd trial it for a couple of days.

I have noticed alot of change in driver behaviour, I haven't received any flashes or pissed off driver reactions yet, but i don't really care if it pisses people off , at least they see me. Being more visible is more important to me instead of being splattered across someones windscreen & their feelings.

The high beam in the daytime doesn't have the blinding light or glare it does in the dark hours. I'm just wondering what other people think about this & do you practice this.

Thanks for looking. :grin:
  2. Yep on a very bright day I use the high beam, lots of reflection and glare around and most cagers won’t see you standing out, if overcast there isn’t much of a need as the headlight on dip is ok.
    Another tip is to travel in the most centre part of a road, you are visible much earlier for those wanker cagers coming into the road from side streets, I don’t like keeping left on a road.
  3. I try to move around in my lane a bit (makes me look drunk :LOL: ) as movement catches peoples eyes more than a static object. I use my high beam during the day and at night on suburban streets - makes you more visible to people pulling out of side streets.
  4. you have to have truely shitehouse AND poorly aligned lights (and not aligned in your favour either!) for this to be the case. Why not check the basic alignment of the low before you go around giving us all more bad rep.

Cars that float around during the day with highs on a truely annoying - bikes aren't much better.
  5. yes, i do. although, it's dependant on where i'm riding.

don't do it in city traffic cus, well, people tend to get high strung about.

mainly, rural type riding.

i.e. RNP early morning fang :p
  6. Just keep in mind that having high beam on may make it more difficult for other road users to see your indicators - something to keep in mind especially when making a right turn across traffic.
  7. Something to keep in mind:

Road Rule 218 & 219 apply at all times, not just at night. Some people may get distracted by seeing a high beam and spend too much time looking at it and then miss something else, like another bike, car or ped.

Road Rules Victoria:

218. Using headlights on high-beam
    (1) The driver of a vehicle must not use the vehicle’s headlights on high-beam, or
    allow the vehicle’s headlights to be used on high-beam, if the driver is
    (a) less than 200 metres behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction
    as the driver; or
    (b) less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.
    Penalty: 3 penalty units.
    Note High-beam and oncoming vehicle are defined in the dictionary.
    (2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver may briefly switch the
    headlights from low-beam to high-beam immediately before the driver begins
    to overtake the vehicle.
    Note Low-beam and overtake are defined in the dictionary.

219. Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
    A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver’s
    vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
    Penalty: 3 penalty units.
    Note 1 Driver’s vehicle is defined in the dictionary, and road user is defined in rule 14.
    Note 2 Driver includes a person in control of a vehicle—see the definition of drive in the
  8. True. But you know most people on the road couldn't give a &%$* about anyone else - that's why so many people drive around with their driving lights on all the time (or ride with high beam on :p).
  9. Absolutely! besides, I never rely on being seen, I always assume I am invisible to every other road user.....I'm often right.
  10. so this also included the prick who race up behind you on the freeway, tailgate so close that you couldn't fit an anorexic cat between the cars and then flash their high beams because you are not going fast enough for them??

i often think judicious use of a high power spotlight out the rear window might discourage them slightly....... hmm pop up light system for your ventura rack????
  11. Yeah high beams are good!

I guess the best thing is to still look out for yourself...
    I didn't know that there were so many blind drivers until I started to ride...
    I think the percentage is increasing...

Another thought, a lot of drivers think that their car is faster that you on take off... so watch out for those when they are coming out from the side streets... they see you, but they still come out.
  12. I've said it before, ride like every driver on the road has your picture taped to their dashboard...
  13. I find that sound works better than visibility. Get loud pipes and noisy clutch :wink: and you'll have far less trouble. I feel like Moses, sometimes, as cars move like the red sea parting! :LOL:
  14. And is your lover's jealous, ex navy seal, husband, who hasn't taken his little pills for a few weeks!
  15. High beam at any time someone might get dazzled = Bad
    Assume you are invisible = True
    Be noisy to be noticed = Must get around to that, but need to be quiet in my neighbourhood.

Stealing your thread:
    I watched an episode of "Last Chance Learners" for the first time this week. I cannot believe that anybody thinks it is a good idea to give any of those incompetent, self centred, and plainly stupid learners a licence. If that is the lowest standard that our road rules apply to, they had better set the speed limit at 2 Km/h, so they wont kill anybody.
    I agree with Inci. They don't see us usually. If they do, we are a target. If they are willing to licence those people on that show, then it's everyone for themselves. Unbelievable.
  16. I've fitted a high power bulb in my headlight, 90/100W rather than the 55/60 standard... It's much brighter than standard but doesn't blind other road users cuase it's aligned properly.

I would guess this is better then using your high beam as the beam is still aimed away from oncoming traffic...? (I'm thinking about how the light pattern changes when you switch to full beam)
  17. IMHO The best saftey precaution is using whats between your ears and next to your nose
  18. I disagree. Highbeam is *very* glary and distracting during the day.

When driving a car with a vehicle using highbeams behind me, I inevitably have to flip the mirror into the "dim" position so I can concentrate on other things rather than having my eyes continually drawn back to the bright spot in the mirror.

My attention goes from my normal routine of mirror and headchecks to trying to avoid having to look at the GLOWING WHITE BALL OF LIGHT behind me. That includes not performing any more mirror checks, and ducking so that I can't use my mirrors to see behind me.

When riding (and driving, for that matter) I prefer to ensure that I'm clearly visible in at least one mirror of the vehicle(s) ahead. If I can't see the driver's torso or head in the mirror, I do not loiter in that spot. The few times that I have been merged into, only twice was the person not looking at all. Every other time it has been due to my position either in, or moving through, one of their blindspots.

Often a driver will check their mirrors and headcheck but a bike (or even a car) will be able to move from one mirror or position to another during that time without being seen. This has happened to me as both victim and perpetrator.

Check the alignment of your headlight too; "dip"/lowbeam might be pointing down too much, purrhaps.
  19. I don't like high beams pointing my way (unless they are of an organic variety).

If you really want to go the visability argument, perhaps fit a modulator?
  20. Or go the cheaper option and wear a reflective vest.