Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NT Hidden Valley Resurface

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by Rented, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Hey all, just a quick curiosity question regarding track surfaces. I do track days at HV and they run the track day sessions in between the race events. It makes for a bloody good day because if you are bored you can watch some racing :)

Last year Hidden Valley was resurfaced. We all know what happened when they resurfaced Phillip Island - it became a tyre chewer for track dayers and MotoGP riders alike.

Hidden Valley is the polar opposite. Until the final session, my tyre had next to no evidence of tearing or beading and actually looked clean, track would have been warmer. However, the track feels good and the times that the racers pull are similar to the previous surface which would bead your rears and fronts with no problem. The surface to me actually feels better than it used to mainly because it is so smooth with very few bumps, but more boring because there was a few areas where the bike got a little wiggly on the power which were awesome.

That's not to say that they don't bead or tear at all, I was on Supercorsa SPs last year and they did a little, but my current Q3s did not do a lot.

So why is PI in cold weather a tyre eater, and HV in hot weather so easy on tyres? I'd love to ride PI and see for myself :)

2. The actual compound used for the tracks are vastly different, PI has a much greater temperature differential so requires a coarser surface to handle both cold and hot, HV on the other hand doesn't have the colder temps so a different smoother compound can be used, HV's first road race meet was actually quite bad with the 1000cc guys unable to get sufficient grip regardless of what tyre compound they tried, it wasn't until there had been several car meets to get some rubber into the track that the grip improved, it has been getting steadily better as more and more rubber gets laid down. Times have been dropping rapidly as the grip improves.