Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HID Lights on Bikes?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by calv83luc, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Just recently got my Learner's... :)
    Just wondering has anyone removed their headlights on their bikes and replaced them with the HID lights?

The reason why I wanted to put the HID lights are so moron drivers can see me.

I was riding last night, on a 60km road going back home, I'd got to admit it was a nice straight road... but anyways, as I was riding I looked up ahead about 100 meters away and saw an on coming car about to turn right... which will be left from the way I was going but right for them...

So 100 meters was fair enough for the driver to turn, then when I reached 50 meters a second car turned... I was like OK cool... when I got to about 10 to 15 meters, this moron turned.... I'm like are you blind or what? I had to break not fully slam them, but I had to apply them quite heavily as he was turning really slowly.

I'm sure the current lights I have are pretty bright, but this guy must've had his eyes painted on or something.

Anyways, I'd like to know if anyone have the HID lights installed... they are bright bright bright lights... hehe I need to really blind some people!

Regards,
    Calv

2. When you see this sort of behavior one thing that helps is to wiggle the bike a bit. Get some movement in the light source so they can see that it is a bike on top of them and not a car in the distance.

Just like animals we respond better to movement (Across our field of vision) than a stationary object (Or apparently stationary because it's movement is directly towards us

3. I gotta admit, some of the older 250's have dangerously poorly designed headlights.

I would try out some of them higher end bulbs first, 6000k Philips Vision ones or something along those lines.

4. Thanks guys!

Yeah I was moving from side to side... which ticked me off a little bit more... haha but yeah I got to have my thumb ready for the high beams next time... hehehe

5. The switchgear on my CBR250 has a passing button, and I have found pressing it on and off a couple of times is a great way to get attention of blind drivers - I figured the high beams going on then off a few times would grab their attention better then just turning them on.

7. At least they can't claim they didn't see me :twisted:

Call me a cynical country rider/driver but road rules (both official and 'unofficial') are ignored at seemingly random frequency. Someone slowly crossing your lane 15m in front of you is another great way to end up t-boned! Doing something to get yourself noticed might help if the driver failed to notice you, or misjudged the distance (as opposed to just not caring about anything else on the roads); on the bike, your options when it comes to advertising your presence are rather limited. And flashing your lights/high beams has so many meanings you can never really tell what someone is trying to say, off the top of my head, it can mean "thank you", "I am giving way to you", "get the hell out of my way, I am going to pass you", "look at me, look at me" and "you have left your high beams on, turn them off!".

8. Haha..

So lets go back to the HID lights... ahem... :p

Had a chat to a few friend last night, they said that, if anyone does anything stupid on the road, just let it go and keep riding...
    Well I sort of agree, I mean at the end of the day, who's the bigger person?

But yeah, I still want some bright lights... hehe
    Whats the average prices for them?

The reason why I ride at night is that, I catch public transport to work and the bike is at my brother's place... (parents don't know... ahem)
    So after work, gym, dinner... hehe I go riding...

Might get to ride during the day this weekend... nice!

9. I get very pissy when drivers leave their highbeams on when I approach. Totally fine to use them, just make sure when you see approaching lights from around the corner, or lights in the distance, turn them off.

Not only that, but most of the new car's normal lights are just as strong as highbeams so when you get close, I can't see anything. So at night I leave my highbeams on most of the time since they're not even as powerful as one of the lights from a new car's lowbeams.

10. Do any bikes come with Xenons??
    I want Xenon lighting! I'd be like..."oh yeah? want to run me over?? BANG!!!" And then I'd blind them...and then they'd swerve and crash into me anyway, causing me to die...

I'm at work and I just polished off a V... can you tell?

11. Can we do a search on HID headlights, we just finished a thread that was dedicated to them.

12. At a price of $220+ ouch.
    Go to Dick Smiths, buy a horn relay ($6), some heavy duty wire ($3), a blade fuse holder ($4) and a higher wattage globe - I'm still yet to have problems using a 90/105 W (~$20).

Works on most bikes except those with real old alternatiors that don't charge the battery too well. Likewise, you could just get a xeon blue light (not much better than the standard H3s). The other thing I do is wire the low beam onto the high beam setting...so when you flick your headlights up the low beam stays on.

I did this with my old 1983 CB250 when I had it - except had to charge the battery weekly or it wouldn't crank. None of my modern bikes (post 1989) have had trouble adjusting.

13. Xenon lights on vehicles require an auto aiming system (electric) and a washing system to meet the ADR's

Not impossible, but too bloody hard for me.

14. Mine has been change but didn’t know who did it.... must be my guiding angle :grin:

Lucky they did now im able to ride at nite.. :p

15. care to provide a reference for that?

I'm reasonably sure there are no references to bulk lumen output in the ADR. There are some maximum globe power consumptions I think for rear facing lamps but nothing else. There certainly ARE cutoff and beam patterns, but the fact that all (?) HID equiped vehicles come with levellers and washers doesn't make it mandatory. Correct me if you can substaitiate your statement.

for the OP: it has certainly been done before. Success though depends on many things.

HID5.

HID3.

16. Just because it can be done does not make it legal. The engineering is easy to install. The bureacracy is hard!

The australian design rules are explicit, and I direct you to the Federal Office of Road Safety, where you can pay a few hundred dollars and receive a CD of the Australian design Rules.

Adding Xenon lights to a motor vehicle without having them certified by an automotive engineer renders the vehicle unroadworthy.

There are other alternatives.
    There are plenty of globes available that are a direct replacement (H4) that offer considerable output improvements.
    Note that HID does not mean Xenon lights.
    Xenon lights are a further improvement in light quality. The problem arises because any deflection in the beam due to bugs etc SEVERELY impacts on the light direction.
    The onus is on YOU as the person who installs them to ensure that the lights meet the Design Rules. FORS does not have to prove anything.
    I spent 8 years making kit cars - and I got out because compliance isn't enough, you need proof that you meet the rules. The proof can be very expensive to obtain.

17. HeY ThaT LoOks CleaN

18. you should be aware then that ADR does not equal inservice rules.

Extracting the HID headlamp assembly from Car model XYZ and placing it in same car model XYZa that came from the factory without HID technically violates ADR's, but no-one will ping you for it.

Similarly, there is nothing that says you need electric levelling of the lamps OR washers in ADR is there? You can make use of mechanical means, and washers usually come with them because most of them are used in countries with snow. They aren't mandatory. Similarly, many come with steerable assemblies, partly because they work, and partly to justify the higher cost charged for the HID option.

Like I said, it can be achieved, but doing it successfully requires more work than most people put in.

19. :?

Ok guys... I've got some prices checked out as my brother just had his HID lights installed on his WRX... $350 for the pair of lights with the whole conversion kit, etc and installation from the mechanic is another $60.

Ok here's the thing, as long as the light are at the correct angle, it is legal.
    There for the police can't really do much about it.

I just realized I had a few friends who have them installed in their cars... and it is brighter than the high beams, although it won't get into the on coming driver's eyes, but it is much brighter than the high beams... it's pure white/blue lights... nice nice nice...

I hope it might be cheaper for the bikes, otherwise I'll ride around with high beams on... hahaha and save money to get an YZF-R6...

20. I don't think it's any cheaper for a bike - the kits cost upward of $220 for 35W (?) and $350 for higher W...sold in pairs only and not including instillation. Doubt they would sell you one (considering they are intended for cars).

As for blue Xneon - various types available, and there are legal versions that are not the "real thing"...they just put out a slightly different Kelvin light from the standard halogen - you don't need a special leveling device. I thought that was only associated with lens/focus systems but could be wrong. I also don't think they will improve your situation.

If it were me, I'd just go for tying high and low beams together when you flick the high-beam switch on. This can probably be done with a 10A diode on the back of the globe holder of a H4 55/65W globe (probably set you back $2 from D i c k Smiths....if that) if you don't want to go to the effort of putting in relays. I just suggest the latter to reduce the drain on your switches/wiring. If that aint good enough, then step up the globe if your housing is metal or trial a higher wattage for a bit and make sure it doesn't damage anything.

I run a 95/105W...Never been pulled up or questioned about my 95W low beam nor 200W high. I have sat behind, next to and across from cops - no complaints or 2nd glance. Doesn't piss off other drivers either. Great for spotting kangaroos tho ;)