Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

HID lights gone haywire

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Dfri, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I recently picked up some 6k HID bulbs for my 620 2006 ducati monster, and although the bulbs themselves work they've raised a few issues.

1) When I turn the bike on/off the right blinkers go off once

2)Before I hit the ignition, if i turn on the left blinkers they flash twice as fast, normally I'd know how to fix this except it only happens to the left ones not the right ones

3)I know installing HID'S gets rid of your high beam, but if I hit the high-beam switch all my instrumentation panel lights up?

4) Does anyone know where the flasher relay for this bike is? I can't for the life of me find it and I want to change out to a LED flasher relay.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it heaps.

2. I think you should go post a hello in the welcomes area of the forum, k now go!

For all we know you could be an axe murderer! But, I'd suggest pulling the HID setup, and then restoring the original set up and see if its something done on the fitting.

3.  Top
  4. Sorry

Sorry, it's my first time, didn't realise had to say hello, but first thing I did as soon as I found out

5. Tim 650

Just wanted to let you know the transistor unit makes a little whirring sound when you start up the bikes electrics, but nothing like on the video on the links you posted, you can't hear it when you start the bike up, (mind you, you can't hear anything when you start up a monster :) )

6. answer

Hey not that anyone's following this link, I thought I'd post up the diagnosis.

I rewired up the original system for the headlights, and that solved the blinker going off once when I switch the electric on/off, this is because the HID ballast charges and discharges the remaing 15 watts or so (difference due to 30 watt HID and 55 watt incandescent) the only thing I can think to fix that is to throw a resistor onto it to dissipate the remaining charge.

The the fast flash rate, is due to the imcompatibilty of the blinkers which I had put onto the bike, Ducati blinkers are wired positive/negative, where as the new blinkers were positive return, so I rewired the blinkers positive negative and tried to insulate the blinkers from any metal, but I could never get a perfect insulation, so when I start the bikes electrics up the instrumentation detects this extra current going into the blinkers and thinks that my bulb is out, so it trys to warn me by flashing the blinker fast, but when I turn the bike itself on it reverts to normal blinker setting for safe road use. Looks like it's new blinkers for me

7. lol judging from your terminolgy you dont need our help :)

8. my cat's breath smells like cat food :)

9. Actually

Funnily enough, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

I still need to know where my flasher relay is, but the more I inspect my bike the more it looks like Ducati have got some crazy ass instrumentation panel which has everything wired to it and controls everything which is annoying because I can't go cracking it open and screwing around the inside of it.

10. well on most jap bikes flasher relay is on the Right hand near to the battery.
    where your right l thigh would go.

11. Nah

Yeah, I know, but it ain't there, Im pretty sure Ducati have bested me.

12. <strained voice> you're not doing it right</voice>

ducati blinkers are wired positive/negative. Riiight. Are they filament or LED?

The only way you get interaction between headlights and indicators is if you boxed the install and you have a short somewhere.

also, this bit "throw a resistor onto it to dissipate the remaining charge." makes no sense electrically. You talking about charge or current? If you are talking about normal bike electrics, nothing on the bike will draw 15W more than it needs, thus requiring you to send it somewhere.

Go back to your install. Check all the connections and polarities. Get thee to a wiring diagram and a meter, learn how to use them and see what you can come up with.

Fast flash rates are usually due to dumb blinker cans expecting a certain load (and thus current draw). If you dicked with the load by installing LED's (or just blowing a lamp), a full solid state flash can will fix the problem for you. Or, if you've blown a bulb, guess what the fast flash rate should be telling you....