Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Fowlsy, Oct 1, 2011.

1. i am the proud owner or a 2010 dr 650 which i want to set up for touring.My ultimate goal is to one day do a trip to cape york from home(south gippsland)but first i have to set up my bike for the trip.What i would like to know is the best place to get pannier racks and soft panniers and what are the pros and cons of each brand.

2. This is based on my own experience of touring with hard panniers. I use Givi panniers and swear by them. Hard panniers stay watertight, are secure if you want to lock something away when not with the bike. They click on and off easily so you can leave one on the bike and only take one if you need. I commonly have clothes and overnight stuff in one and camping/cooking gear in the other. So if I am camping I get both off, if I am being slack and using a hotel I only take the clothing one and leave the other locked on the bike. My 2 cents anyway ;)
  3. thanks chris i can see the advantages with hard panniers but the reason im leaning towards soft panniers is because i plan to do a fair bit of off road riding and camping and im worried that if i come off in the bush(or anywhere else for that matter)the hard panniers are more likely to get bent out of shape.Cheers
  4. on the other hand, they can protect the bike from damage by NOT being deformable

oh, and welcome :wink:
  5. Hi and welcome to NR.

Two words... gaffer tape :LOL:

I have hard panniers too, but the conventional wisdom for a long distance trip is a hard top box for valuables and soft panniers as they may tear but are less likely to smash if the bike is dropped. Having said that most BMW GS's and the like usually have solid esky-like boxes which appear pretty indestructable.
  6. welcome to NR Fowlsy, nice part of the world you come from.