Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Hi Viz Vest options

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by crembz, Apr 30, 2015.

1. So I pickup my first bike tomorrow. Thanks to all for the information in my other threads.

To be honest I didn't think I would get a bike that quick so apart from helmet and gloves I have no gear.

I've been looking at bikersgear and mars leather in VIC for gear. What options do we have for the ridiculous hi viz vests we need to wear as learners? I found jackets with hi viz strips built in ... would this be sufficient? Thanks.
  2. I believe it has to be a vest or jacket. just a vest to throw over your jacket.

or maybe under I cant recall if it states how it is to be worn :wacky:
  3. I believe it needs to be a specific safety vest (in Vic anyway), needs to meet aus standards...
  4. Wear the cheapest nastiest one you can find, $2 shops or hardware stores would be a good place to start.
  5. As long as they stay on while you ride.
  6. Yeah maybe i'll tie it to my middle finger and wave it to the police as I lane split past them in traffic! I can't see how a flimsy vest flapping in the wind like a flag and potentially distracting you is any safer but I'm sure there's plenty of threads about that.

Anyways looks like I'm off to the hardware store on Saturday. Thanks people.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Some of my gear (jacket and boots) have silver reflective strips sewn in. I've seen others with similar reflective strips and while not hi-vis, they can be visible if the light reflects off them at night.

Sewing sequins to your jacket would be way more effective than hi-vis anyway. What a fashion statement that would be!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Not sure if they are legal in Vic, but military personnel in the 'States have to wear "military approved" gear if riding motorcycles.
    Looks better fitting and more suitable for motorcycling than the generic hi-viz vests available mostly.

E.g: http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/military-approved
  9. I hope you're on the news
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yep, see the section on hi visibility junk on this page.

Another thing to think about, if you can try to find something waterproof. While I was on my L's I had a waterproof jacket, but a non waterproof hi viz vest. When it rained the vest held the water, which managed to find a way through the waterproof jacket because it sat there soggy so long.. and ran water into pockets when I opened them.
    Now that I no longer need to wear the vest wet days have become much less annoying.
  11. Perfect thanks for the tip I would have never thought of that!
  12. I went to a work wear shop, got a cheap one that complies to the relevant Australian standard (with a zip) and it does the job. After all, I'm hoping to not need it soon when I get around to doing the test.
  13. Although I almost never wear high viz and think compulsory high viz for anybody is a dumb idea and intact most of my bike gear is black, I do think wearing reflective stuff is a good idea if you ride at night.

If you have a crash and end up laying on the road at night, then you really do not want other traffic not seeing you on the road and making things worse by running you over.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. At night anything reflective can make a big difference.
    Just look at it yourself from the drivers perspective, for many bikes the only visual return you will get at night is the brake light and numberplate reflection.

Wearing a fluro vest, putting some reflective tape on your helmet or pack can help give some depth perception, greater road presence and catch the eye of a driver. I've had comments that I lightup like a xmas tree when one of these new projector lights hit me.

Vests also can make your jacket a little warmer and rainproof aswell as being much easier to clean the mud and bugs out of the vest than your jacket :)
  15. I didn't think it was legal to add anything to the helmet?
  16. Technically it might not be allowed, but I can't imagine any cops are going to book you for it...

edit: unless you're pissing them off deliberately, then they might book you for anything.
  17. #18 robsalvv, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    None of these are motorcycle gear compatible hi viz standards,

AS/NZS 4602.1:2011 High visibility garments
    ISO20471 or EN20471 High visibility - Test methods and requirements
    ANSI/ISEA 207-2011 - American National Standard for High-Visibility Public Safety Vests
    ANSI/ISEA 107-2010 - American National Standard for High-Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear.

But they are the ones the very stupid MGLS law requires learners to wear.

I checked the regs and quoted them some place on NR. The law doesn't impose any demerit points for not wearing a vest if you're a learner, just a fine.

It's a requirement of the construction standard that there is a caution against adding adhesive elements to the helmet. It's not illegal.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. some ADM helmets are supplied with retro-reflective stickers to apply to the helmet yourself. (Shark at least)
  19. Like your style, nugan. :)