Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi to fellow bike riders

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by vahramh, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ... been browsing the site for a while, before I realised it wouldn't be too polite to introduce myself...

My name is Vahram, I'm from Melbourne, 48 years old, and returned to bike riding after a 29 year break (had to give up back then in quite unpleasant circumstances)

I thought that riding skills are never lost - I was wrong. Had to learn everything from scratch again, albeit with a bit more mature mind and attitude to compensate for the lack of skills.

So, I've been riding for about 5 months now, got a Yamaha V-Star 250 and love it! This time hopefully I'm in for good, but will probably stick to cruisers - I realise my reaction is not what it used to be, so speed is not for me anymore.

So, hello again!
  2. Hi vahramh,
    Welcome back to riding mate. I think reaction-time is a very relevant factor to us all, be it with increasing age, absence from riding and/or even fatigue/distractions whilst being 'out there'.
    Great to hear you're back and no doubt your skills will improve with constant, regular riding.
    Enjoy the forums mate.
  3. welcome mate :)
  4. Hi vahramh and welcome to NR
  5. Welcome to nr mate
  6. HI vahramh!

Welcome to the boards. This is an excellent forum :)
  7. Good to see you returning to two wheels again.
  8. Welcome mate and good to hear you're back on the bike again

9. as I often find myself saying these days, welcome (back) :)

As a returnee myself some years ago after many years away I found the modern motorcycle a thing of great wonder and unbelievable scariness :shock:.

my old Yamaha RD-250 weighed around 174 kilos and developed around 29 horsepower

my (by no means cutting-edge) 1998 model Honda Hornet 600 weighs nearly the same and develops around three times that power figure

wiser heads would probably suggest a cruiser too, but I spent all my riding on a naked, and I've never got used to the feeling of my feet being disconnected from my body that a cruiser imparts

whatever, enjoy the ride!!!
  10. Hey Varamh, welcome to NetRider and welcome back to the world of riding. Great to hear you're enjoying the V-Star, that's all that counts!