Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hi-tech super snoopers in parking blitz

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Code:
    The Age
    Jano Gibson and Josephine Tovey
    September 19, 2008
    It's the ticking time bomb under your car that could be coming to a street near you.
    The Parking Overstay Detection System, or PODS, uses sensors in the road to detect the moment a car pulls into a parking spot. If the car stays a second too long, an electronic message is sent to a parking officer, who can arrive quickly to issue a fine.
    PODS has proved a revenue-raising success in several Victorian councils. In Melbourne's Maribyrnong Council, for example, the number of infringement notices issued for time-limit breaches jumped from 3734 to 7830 in the year following the installation of the system.
    Another bonus for the councils is they don't have to pay for the installation. Instead, the North Sydney-based company selling the devices, Vehicle Monitoring Systems, receives a proportion of the revenue from the fines issued.
    Ku-ring-gai Council may become the first in NSW to use the technology.
    A report commissioned by the council and compiled by private consultants has recommended electronic parking enforcement for the Wahroonga area as a means of reducing labour costs and forcing drivers to obey time limits. Councillors last month voted to put the report on public exhibition.
    "Although electronic enforcement options can be costly to implement and maintain, these costs could be offset by increased revenue from infringement notices and increased community satisfaction," the report said.
    It added that PODS was "extremely attractive" to councils because there was no capital outlay.
    A council spokesman said Wahroonga had a major problem with people flouting parking limits. Much of this was attributed to drivers from the Central Coast and Newcastle, who left their cars at Wahroonga and caught trains to the city, he said.
    Business owners in the Wahroonga shopping centre, which has a two-hour outdoor car park, voiced concerns the system could drive away customers.
    A hairdresser, Carrie Boys, said she was worried it would discourage women coming to her salon for colour treatments if they thought they might get booked or have to move their car mid-treatment.
    "Quite often the appointments will go a bit over two hours," Ms Boys said.
    Shoppers at Wahroonga said parking in the area was not a big enough problem to justify the technology.
    "You have to question why they want to change a system that's working well," said Liz Cooney.
    Ms Cooney, who moved to Wahroonga from New Zealand five years ago, said she was already surprised at the high levels of "de facto tax collection" from Australian motorists, and would not welcome more automated surveillance.
    The managing director of Vehicle Monitoring Systems, Saxon Hill, said he was in discussion with several other NSW councils about his product, which he insisted was not about making money, but about alleviating the shortage of parking spaces.
    One of the Victorian councils using the devices had seen a 60 per cent reduction in the number of overstayers in the year after PODS was installed, he said.
    "It's true that the number of overstayers detected increases in the short term but better enforcement changes behaviour and, in the longer term, there are fewer overstayers."
    A Ku-ring-gai Council spokesman said it was too early to say if the council would use PODS to ease the parking strain in the area.

2. The c*nting f*cksacks.
  3. It's becoming a bit much
  4. WTF? :shock:

at what point does individual freedom disappear for the "greater good" of the society? I mean, it's not really a big deal in spectrum of things, but it's a short step away from gps tracking to check whether you're speeding...
  5. Fvcking money grabbing theiving c*nts. Who's the pr!ck who invented the system anyway, fkn Harold Scruby?
  6. Actually I think it is a big deal. Its just one more demonstration that laws are becoming less about the public good and more about revenue raising and a business. What is the reason for parking limits? Ideally to ensure a turnover of parking spaces to make local businesses and services available to more people. There are always a limited number of parking spaces available - and it is impossible to assign enough spaces to serve potential visitors to the area without putting in a multilevel car park in every street. So put in a time limit for parking. Enforce it with fines to ensure people don't abuse the limits.

Putting in automatic tracking to notify an inspector to rush over and fine you when you are a second overdue just highlights the fact that it has become all about issuing the fine and bringing in the money than helping rotate car spaces.
  7. Exactly Bluesuede, you've nailed it in one. Limits are set to stop pr!cks parking there all day so everyone gets their turn, not as an avenue to reign in more cash - the pr!cks.
  8. So it has been, for a long time. Many inner city councils now derive more revenue from parking than from any other source - even property rates. Furthermore, the majority of that comes from fines, not fees. It's in their interests to encourage as many offences as possible. Classic conflict of interest. Glad I don't park a car much nowadays! :grin:
  9. Yeah, i'll agree with that. I suppose the current system of random inspectors provides enough of a deterrent to overstaying the parking limits deliberately, but the new system is a little too much of a blatant money grab.
  10. This system sucks in so many way, as they say these days.

1. It takes away jobs. Can't have people working, hey? And you won't see councils reducing rates because of the savings in wages and increases in revenue.

2. There is an obvious conflict of interest when the manufacturer gets a percentage of the fines. Who'se to say that they haven't fudged the technology so that people are being fined nano-seconds after the "meter" expires?

3. In one council where people are trying to be greener and taking the train to work, they'll target these people. Guess what? More traffic on the roads.

And it comes from the cesspit of Oz - NSW. [1]

[1] No offence to NSW'ians. I'm talking about those who you people continue to elect to power.
  11. Hmm, I think this could be defeated by the old electromagnetic pulse method. Since it looks like it is using metallic proximity sensors to sense if a car is parked there. VMS Website a gizmo on the bottom of your car that pulses a hard magnetic pulse every 15 minutes should be seen as a car leaving and returning.

Of course it depends on the sensors, usually such sensors work on rates of change rather than background level so a hard pulse is seen as a state change.
  12. well, once i've built my short range emp device, this is going to be an expensive waste of money :twisted: \:D/

of course local businesses might be colateral, but its a price i'm will for them to pay

13. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I can't wait!
  14. Nup, it was these ****s.

Vehicle Monitoring Systems Pty Ltd
    Level 3, 41 McLaren Street
    North Sydney NSW 2060
    Tel +61 2 9965-0465
    Fax +61 2 9955-8812
    Here's their website.

Anyone able to get to that North Sydney address? Preferably we want someone with a diesel ute carrying a load of ammonium nitrate and a full tank of fuel. Possibly an old or well insurered ute is best, further instructions will be given by moblile phone on your arrival. :evil: :LOL:
  15. I agree with Loz's point, tone and language.
  16. How fast does liquid nails set? I shall have to stock up and visit places like St Kilda Road and walk up and down to every parking meter :evil:

Oh, and +1 to Bluesuade and Loz :LOL:
  17. careful what you write you'll end up on the terrorist watch list.
    :LOL: :LOL:
  18. Just thought of something (and no smart arse comments, please). What's to stop you moving out then back in? And secondly how does it know which car is in that parking spot? Does it have a camera or something nearby that takes a photo?
  19. Wow, a system where everybody wins. *cough*
  20. It must only work for non ticketed paid parking, eg. 1P parking... because how would it know if you paid for 2.5hrs versus 2hrs?

PODS can't know whether the same car has parked if it's a simple EMF disruption thing... so you could move and come back I reckon.

Hmmm... I reckon a fast moving high flux rare earth magnet could induce enough eddy current in the device to knock it out. :-k

I like Russ's EMP idea too.

Revenue raising. Pure and simple. C*ck suckers.

Marybnong council has them. Anyone know where?

According to http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=AU2005000660&DISPLAY=CLAIMS they are a wireless devices. Jammer anyone????

The bold bit is going to be hard to beat. A car is there or it's not. :-k

So this is a self contained battery powered device which uses a magnetometer to measure a change in the earths magnetic field (presumably a change from a calibrated "no car here" signature) and send s the data via UHF to a receiver in the local area which then transmits it to the parking inspector somewhere near by... I wanna see one of these beasties. Do you reckon you could knock out the CPU with a strong static discharge? :-k